“Excellent short break” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Chorley
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Excellent short break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012

I stayed here in early September last year and got a great deal for two nights including breakfast and dinner and two rounds of golf. Tee times can be booked and my only complaint was that the course was very busy and play very slow. I was on my own but the marshall arranged for me to play with two members after a few holes, which I didn't really mind. The golf booking system is better suited to fourballs really. The hotel building is magnificent and the golf course is also excellent. The food was excellent and the staff very helpful. I had a very nice room overlooking the golf course and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012

Just returned from a fantastic Express Spa day with my two friends. We all felt very welcome and relaxed after our visit to Le Visage at Shaw Hill Golf Club. The staff are all lovely and the treatments, pool, steam room were all fantastic. Not sure of the name of the girl who did my treatments but it was fantastic. Great value for the £45 offer for the treatments that you receive. Would recommend.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank rockyLancashire
Midlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

We arrived to be told we have to play on a small piece of astro turf on the fairways which we had to buy!!!

The course was very muddy and in poor condition - we left after one day of golf.

However the hotel was very pleasant, good food and nice staff!

I believe we should have been told that we had to play from astro turf in advance - it seems that the golf side of the business just wants our money but would not go back and would not recommend which is a loss for the hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ShawHill, General Manager at Shaw Hill Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Thank you for your comments. We endevour to ensure all visiting parties are aware of course conditions and local rules. When booking direct with the hotel we will provide this information at the point of booking and our rules and regs are on our wesbiste for all to peruse. Unfortunately when dealing with third party booking ie specialist websites catering for golfing breaks we rely upon the agent to inform the clients of our terms and conditions of play during the winter months. (November to March) These are the same details year upon year and have never changed. I have spoken to two major agents in respect of this and unfortunately they will not provide us any information with regard to visting parties due to data protection. My hands are tied in this respect. My advice for all golfing parties is to always contact the hotels directly once they have made a booking via a third party so that they are fully versed with all aspects of their individual booking and feel that they are welcomed in advance from the hotel. I trust this answers your post. Should you wish to call me to discuss the matter further then please feel free to contact me on 01257226829 Best wishes Joanne Arroyo.
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

I went in a party of four on a Golf Sunday Driver offer. The chap in the pro shop was very grumpy and quite unhelpful. (He was the older guy, not the nice young man). The course was very muddy, and the greens were awful, very bumpy, the ball was going all over the place. Aside from that we enjoyed our two games, there were some very nice holes, and I guess a game in the summer would be a lot better. The hotel was lovely, we had fantastic large rooms overlooking the course with very good facilities. The hotel itself is very well furnished and comfortable. The only downside for us was that we were the only people staying in the hotel apart from one man on business. We had the restaurant to ourselves for the evening meal and breakfast, a rather strange experience. The staff were very pleasant and helpful, and we later found out that our rooms had been upgraded that was a nice touch. I would definitely go there again, but more likely in summer months when the course was better and there was more likelihood of the hotel being busy.

Room Tip: I don't know how much an upgrade is, but the rooms overlooking the course are lovely.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank SjS48
ShawHill, Owner at Shaw Hill Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, March 2, 2012
Thank you for the comments posted with regard to your stay. I glad that you will be returning in the summer months. I have however passed on your comments with regard to the staff in the Pro Shop who are not employees of Shaw Hill Golf Club. Hope to see you soon.
wigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2011

played 2 rounds of golf 28/29 /12/2011, we played using astro turf like pieces these to be used on all shots be it fairway or rough, these are obtained from the pro shop i was charged £11 ,over 2 days for the hire of a trolley and a piece of astro turf i returned the items at the end of play expecting money back for the astro turf,this was not forthcoming so i was charged £5 for the use of this piece of plastic turf , a rip off, i am all for saving the golf course using these mats but to be charged for using them leaves a lot to be desired. The hotel, food ,and HOTEL staff were excellent , but in my opinion the course should have been closed , it is a course i would love to play in better conditions.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank 627john
I am sorry for the late response but I have passed on your comments to the Proprietor of the Pro Shop. This is a seperate business to Shaw Hill Golf Club.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2011

It's not a new-build corporate hotel like a modern Marriott or Hilton etc. But it's clean functional and well-located. And the staff were wonderful. I stay away a lot in the major chains which are pleasant but soulless. With lots of "corporate" smiles; these staff are genuinely friendly and the food was excellent. I would thoroughly recommend staying there. I Cannot comment on the golf. Don't play the game. But the gym and pool are really good.

• Stayed November 2011
Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2011

I would like to say a great big thank you to all the staff at Shaw Hill for making my mum and dads anniversary memorable. I sent them away to a one night dinner, b&b & massage, they reported back to say what a fantastic time they had.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chorley
BEST WESTERN Park Hall Hotel & Leisure Club
Lancaster House
Lancaster House
#1 of 7 in Lancaster
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,263 reviews

Been to Shaw Hill Hotel, Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!