“An excellent friday night out”

Vardon's Restaurant Chorley
Ranked #23 of 220 Restaurants in Chorley
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Set within the idyllic surroundings of Shaw Hill Country Club, Vardons Restaurant at Shaw Hill Hotel serves classic European cuisine made using the finest locally sourced produce. Opulent yet relaxed, the Regency-style dining room features lavish drapes and elegant corniced ceilings. An array of rich and heady flavours includes venison carpaccio with roast beetroot, roast monkfish with Pernod sauce, or a succulent sirloin steak filled with creamy Roquefort.
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Arriving home from a two nights away business trip with the usual PI fayre I was informed that we are going out tomorrow with my sisiter in law and her husband. Where ? I asked Oh only to shaw hill. Well having been before I knew that the horse meat scandal of recent days would not affect this premises. The Table was booked for 20.00hrs (8pm) we arrived and sat in the lounge complete with menu's. selections made we waited to be shown to our table, the waitress was young and attractive and had a perma smile that appeared real. The starters and aselection of breads was served and plate duly cleaned and then cleared. The mains arrived three steaks done to individual taste and pork for the fourth again the plates were cleared of contents and then removed. After much debat the sweets were orderd and demolished. WE rounded the evening off back in the lounge with coffee. No pressure was brought to bare on getting us to leave. Eventually the bill was asked for and presented then duly paid. A pleasant evening by any ones standard

Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Visited with a group of friends. It was early evening midweek and a set menu was presented. Drinks were offered on arrival. About 5 other tables were occupied, which were located in the same area of the restaurant quite close together. I could over hear conversations.
I had expected the food to be special here, however I felt it was average. The vegetables were a little on the hard side and the portions were just adequate. The food was ok.
The service was pleasant, although we were not asked if we wanted any further drinks when our glasses were empty.
I felt that the set menu was of average value for a hotel.
Overall it was average. There are other similar type restaurants in the area which I have experienced better food, atmosphere and service. At £2.95 for a very small cup of coffee/tea I thought this was over priced.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Attended the gourmet new year's dinner dance at Vardons and had an excellent evening. The evening started with a bucks fizz and canape reception followed by a seven course meal with a glass of wine with every course (port with the cheeseboard). All the food was cooked to perfection especially the beef fillet that melted in the mouth. Service was attentive and excellent. The disco was top class and played music for all tastes. A piper playing in the new year topped the evening off. Cannot wait to book for 2013/14.

2  Thank BossPrestonUK
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We have been going to Vardons for several years and have always considered it to be one of the better restaurants in the area.

We decided that we would go there on Christmas Eve and whilst it was not the full a la carte menu the "special" Christmas Eve menu was excellent, having lobster salad on as a starter and fillet steak with fois gras as a main and all for just under £40 was, in my opinion, excellent value.

The quality of the food, the perfect cooking of the steak, the service and the general ambience could not be faulted.

The one thing that I have found about Vardons is that at times, especially at lunch time, it can suffer from a lack of atmosphere - but that was certainly not the case on Christmas Eve.

1  Thank LancashireDavid63
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Recently had Sunday lunch with some friends, good food well presented,great service, all in all a pleasant experience, we will be back!!