“Mediaeval mayhem”

Best Western Park Hall Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Chorley
Reviewed December 22, 2012

We booked a mediaeval Christmas banquet, however less than a week before the event, we received a phone call to say that it had been cancelled, so we all had Xmas party outfits and nowhere to go . We were offered an alternative evening in January so had to make do with that,
and we were given a free chalet to use to stay in overnight. We did not enjoy the chalet as it smelled stale and musty although the room was clean. It was reminiscent of a Hi-de- Hi type chalet with basic amenities. It was Okay but basic and we were all glad that we had not had to pay to stay there. The food and the entertainment was very good.

Room Tip: Avoid the chalet rooms. Try and book a hotel room.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
John M, Operations Manager at Best Western Park Hall Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

Thank you for reviewing our hotel.
Firstly let me apologise that we had to cancel the medieval banquet you had booked, I have looked back at our records from 2011 and this cancellation was due to an unfortunate and unforeseen circumstance. I am pleased you enjoyed the alternate event that you attended.
Our hotel village where you stayed is undergoing a refurbisment program at the moment, some of the bedrooms have been refurbished in full and we are looking at doing the remainder with some rooms having been worked on since your stay in January.
Once again thank you for your review and I do hope you will stay with us again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,058)

Reviewed December 22, 2012

I stayed here for 1 night after a work's Christmas party, although I had stayed before on a similar occasion a few years before.

On arrival, despite there being around 30 in our group the check in was fairly quick. I believe there may only have been 1 lift but as people were being checked in 2 at a time, this was adequate.

On entering my room I found I had been allocated a room that contained a double bed and a single bed so there was plenty of space. There was enough room to hang clothes, a desk with plenty of drawer space and I spotted an ironing board. There was also a tray with a kettle and plenty of drinks sachets and biscuits.

The bedding was clean if a little worn and a lavender scented spray had been left to spray onto the pillows for a better night's sleep!

The bathroom was fairly clean, however there was a little bit of mould around the bath tiles. Not a huge amount however and I have stayed in hotels before now where it has been much worse. The bathroom was stocked with several towels and there was a shower over the bath, although the shower screen could have done with being a bit bigger to stop the bathroom from getting so wet. There was also some strange kind of vibration coming from the pipes/heating/toilet area but this was not a major issue.

I found the room temperature to be quite strange as I woke during the night finding the room very warm but in the morning I noticed how cold I was.

As I was there for a Christmas party, I can confirm that the Christmas meal was pretty good and certainly a lot better than most of the meals I have had at previous Christmas parties.

All in all, there are only minor things to complain about and it would not stop me from recommending the hotel or staying again.

The reception and bar staff I encountered while I was there were all very pleasant and helpful.

I can not comment on the cost as our stay was covered by the company and I did not have the breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Thank you very much for your review, its lovely to hear you had a good stay and enjoyed your Christmas party with us.
Thank you for also bringing to my attention the comments regarding the bathroom, I will get these issues looked at straight away.
Once again thank for your reviewing our hotel and I hope we can welcome you to the hotel again.

Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

In 2008 and 2009, the company I work for held their Christmas party at this hotel, but then I believe they ran into some kind of financial difficulties as the recession took hold.

Fast-forward to 2012 and our company once again return to the Best Western and I have to say that I'm very glad they did as it's quite possibly the best one they've arranged so far.

On arrival, check-in was speedy and trouble-free. Reception itself was decked out beautifully with an absolutely enormous Christmas tree and other various decorations. It all lent itself towards a very nice welcome.

I was allocated a room on the first floor and once again, first impressions on getting through the door were great.

There was plenty of hanging space; a large bed; dressing table with mirror; *loads* of drawer space; a well-supplied refreshments tray; a wall-mounted flat-screen TV and large patio doors.

Opening the patio doors led to a bit of a surprise in that it led to roof space, which meant I could have walked out on to the roof and then peeked into other people's rooms. Thinking I could be similarly spied on the first thing I did was to make sure it was securely locked and drew the curtains ;)

The bathroom was small but very clean, and it was nice to see a full bath instead of just shower facilities. There was also a heated towel rail, which was a nice touch. Oh and speaking of nice touches, they also left a small bottle of "lavender mist" by the bed, with instructions to spray your pillow five minutes before going to bed to assist with a good night's sleep. Cute.

Despite being so nice, the bathroom turned out to be the only aspect of the room to let things down just a tad.

The shower screen isn't really fit for purpose because after showering the bathroom floor was completely flooded. And it's also too small because having a shower meant the toilet was absolutely soaked as well.

And in the morning, the boxed area behind the toilet itself started to make a motorised thumping noise. I don't know if it for the towel rail heater or what but it was so loud that the water in the toilet was visibly vibrating because of it. We had to get up early for our coach back to work but if I'd wanted a lie in, the racket from the toilet would have put a stop to it (lavender mist has its limits after all!).

The Christmas meal was the best I've had. Melon was followed by soup which was followed by turkey and trimmings which was followed by a choice of dessert and then coffees. Service was very fast and very friendly and the staff there are a credit to the hotel.

Sadly I didn't make it downstairs in time to sample the breakfast so I can't comment on that. And as I didn't pay for the room I can't honestly comment on value for money.

But all in all it was a great stay and I would recommend it to anyone. The issues with the bathroom were a shame but in no way a deal breaker. Had I been paying myself, or staying for more than one night, I'd have mentioned it to reception. But as it was it really wasn't a big enough cause for concern.

I'll attach a few photos to give you an idea of what to expect should you fancy staying there :)

• Stayed: December 2012
John M, Operations Manager at Best Western Park Hall Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2012

Thank you so very much for your very nice review of our hotel. I am so very pleased you enjoyed your stay and have taken the time to write about it.
We do work hard on our Christmas parties and to hear you enjoyed the meal so much and received such good service is great. I will pass your comments on to our staff who will be just as equally pleased and hopefully we will have the chance to provide this again for your companies Christmas party next year.
I'm glad you found your bedroom pleasing, its good to hear we are getting things right for our guests and we think the Lavender mist is a nice little extra for our guests too.
Thank you for bringing the issues you had with the shower screen and toilet to my attention, this now means we can look at the issues and fix for our future guests.
Its a shame you didn't make it to breakfast but hopefully you will stay with us again and maybe get to use the leisure facilities as well.
Thank you also for taking the time to take pictures and put these on your review.
Hope to see you again for another great stay.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

I recently stayed over at the Park Hall Hotel (December) for a friend's wedding reception. The room was very modern and had everything needed. The view from the room wasnt great but it did not matter.....It was a very clean room and we even ordered room service which was nice. Very quick service delivered and we were able to pay when we checked out. On arrival the staff were very helpful. Overall a very nice experience.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Terri88Merseyside

Many thanks for your very lovely review. It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay and I do hope you enjoyed the wedding reception also.
I will pass your comments on to our team and I do hope we can welcome you to the hotel again.
Thank you.

Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here as part of a Christmas package. First checked in by a staff member who had an attitude 'computer says no!!! ' but as running late did not take it further . Eventually got my room in the village . The village was a selection of rooms away from the main hotel and reminded me of an old fashioned British holiday camp , clean but tired . Breakfast was served in the main hotel plenty of staff to meet your needs so a positive . Would not recommend the hotel to family's this time if the year has a lot of partyd and very drunk people milling around till early hours of the morning. The main hotel did look from what I saw of a higher standard of accommodation so would probably look to stop in that if I went again .

• Stayed: December 2012

Thank you very much for reviewing our hotel, all feedback is valuable and thank you for taking the time to give yours.
Our hotel is undergoing a refurbishment plan with some of the bedrooms in the hotel village being refurbished already along with the bedrooms in the main building, and we are currently looking at getting the remainder of the rooms in the hotel village refurbished as well.
I do hope you will come and visit us again so you can see the work we have done.
Thank you again.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

Reception and bar area look lovely, although the huge Christmas tree and decoration were nice the continual Christmas music on the 20th November was rather irritating. The staff were welcoming and helpful. Lunch was nice and the evening meal ( thankfully ordinary music in the restaurant) was ok although the choices were rather over fussy. We were upgraded to a room with a four poster bed and a jaccuzzi bath and I thought, ooh how nice but was rather disappointed. The room did have these features but was rather dull, poorly lit and the decor a bit tatty. The bathroom door lock was broken, the expelair fan didn't work and the shower was lethal, lovely to start off but then became scalding hot,cooled down then scalding hot again, very dangerous.
I used the leisure facilities which were very good but again there are issues with the temperature of the showers although here they did have warning signs up. I would have used the facilities again the next day but you have quite a long walk outside to get to them and the weather was awful.
Breakfast was disappointing, luke warm and the scambled egg was like rubber.
Check out was ok but when we reported the problem with the bathroom no note was taken so I doubt anything will be done about it.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mowal
John M, Operations Manager at Best Western Park Hall Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Thank you very much for your review, I am most pleased you found our staff welcoming and helpful and that you enjoyed your lunch and dinner. We are constantly trying to improve here at Park Hall and so your comments are most helpful. The hotel has undergone a refurbishment to some of our bedrooms and we do hope to refurbish our four poster rooms in the future.
We do take all comments given by guests on check out very seriously and I can assure you the receptionist did take note of your comments and passed these onto our maintenance team who looked at the problem immediately. I would like to thank you for bringing the issue to our attention. Thank you once again and I do hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

We had our wedding in the medieval banquet hall at Park Hall on the 6th October 2012.

Throughout the planning the staff were very attentive and ensured a personal service for our big day. A wedding planner was appointed to coordinate everything we requested and to be our named contact person for our many queries. This was a nice touch and helped the day run smoothly by everyone being organised.

The banquet hall was beautifully presented for the service with seating and flowers displayed in our chosen wedding colours. We had arranged for an owl to bear the rings which went down very well with our guests and made even more impressive with the medieval setting.

Change over from service to wedding breakfast was seamless with everything complete within 2 hours for our 130 guests. During this time our guests had photographs taken, enjoyed a drink in the village inn, handled the birds of prey and played mini golf which is at the front of the hotel. The hardest part was trying to get our guests back in for the wedding breakfast!

The five course medieval banquet was a welcome change to more traditional wedding breakfasts. The entertainment between each course was provided by Camelot was fantastic and created a great atmosphere in the hall. Again this was personalised to our requirements and allowed us to select which guests we wanted to be involved in the show.

The remainder of the night went so quickly and without any faults which is a great achievement for any wedding. It’s now 4 weeks on and our guests are still commenting that it was one of the best weddings they had attended! On behalf of my new wife and I, we would like to say a big thanks to Park Hall for helping to make our special day as perfect as it was.

Room Tip: The suites are well worth the little bit extra they cost.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

It is great to here your wedding was such a sucess and on behalf of my entire team we wish you many congratulations on your big day. We are so pleased we could provide you with the day you wished for. The medieval banquet with entertainment certainly makes for a unique wedding and it sounds like you and your guests made the most of it. Once again thank you for your lovely comments and I do hope we can welcome you and your new wife back to us again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chorley
Shaw Hill Hotel, Golf & Country Club
The Wrightington Hotel & Country Club
Days Inn Charnock Richard M6
Thurnham Hall
Thurnham Hall
#1 of 1 in Thurnham
Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club
Hallmark Hotel Preston Leyland

Been to Best Western Park Hall Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!