“Looks good but disappointing”

Best Western Park Hall Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Chorley
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Reception and bar area look lovely, although the huge Christmas tree and decoration were nice the continual Christmas music on the 20th November was rather irritating. The staff were welcoming and helpful. Lunch was nice and the evening meal ( thankfully ordinary music in the restaurant) was ok although the choices were rather over fussy. We were upgraded to a room with a four poster bed and a jaccuzzi bath and I thought, ooh how nice but was rather disappointed. The room did have these features but was rather dull, poorly lit and the decor a bit tatty. The bathroom door lock was broken, the expelair fan didn't work and the shower was lethal, lovely to start off but then became scalding hot,cooled down then scalding hot again, very dangerous.
I used the leisure facilities which were very good but again there are issues with the temperature of the showers although here they did have warning signs up. I would have used the facilities again the next day but you have quite a long walk outside to get to them and the weather was awful.
Breakfast was disappointing, luke warm and the scambled egg was like rubber.
Check out was ok but when we reported the problem with the bathroom no note was taken so I doubt anything will be done about it.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mowal
John M, Operations Manager at Best Western Park Hall Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Thank you very much for your review, I am most pleased you found our staff welcoming and helpful and that you enjoyed your lunch and dinner. We are constantly trying to improve here at Park Hall and so your comments are most helpful. The hotel has undergone a refurbishment to some of our bedrooms and we do hope to refurbish our four poster rooms in the future.
We do take all comments given by guests on check out very seriously and I can assure you the receptionist did take note of your comments and passed these onto our maintenance team who looked at the problem immediately. I would like to thank you for bringing the issue to our attention. Thank you once again and I do hope you will stay with us again.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Park Hall Hotel & Leisure Club

Reviewed November 14, 2012

We had our wedding in the medieval banquet hall at Park Hall on the 6th October 2012.

Throughout the planning the staff were very attentive and ensured a personal service for our big day. A wedding planner was appointed to coordinate everything we requested and to be our named contact person for our many queries. This was a nice touch and helped the day run smoothly by everyone being organised.

The banquet hall was beautifully presented for the service with seating and flowers displayed in our chosen wedding colours. We had arranged for an owl to bear the rings which went down very well with our guests and made even more impressive with the medieval setting.

Change over from service to wedding breakfast was seamless with everything complete within 2 hours for our 130 guests. During this time our guests had photographs taken, enjoyed a drink in the village inn, handled the birds of prey and played mini golf which is at the front of the hotel. The hardest part was trying to get our guests back in for the wedding breakfast!

The five course medieval banquet was a welcome change to more traditional wedding breakfasts. The entertainment between each course was provided by Camelot was fantastic and created a great atmosphere in the hall. Again this was personalised to our requirements and allowed us to select which guests we wanted to be involved in the show.

The remainder of the night went so quickly and without any faults which is a great achievement for any wedding. It’s now 4 weeks on and our guests are still commenting that it was one of the best weddings they had attended! On behalf of my new wife and I, we would like to say a big thanks to Park Hall for helping to make our special day as perfect as it was.

Room Tip: The suites are well worth the little bit extra they cost.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

It is great to here your wedding was such a sucess and on behalf of my entire team we wish you many congratulations on your big day. We are so pleased we could provide you with the day you wished for. The medieval banquet with entertainment certainly makes for a unique wedding and it sounds like you and your guests made the most of it. Once again thank you for your lovely comments and I do hope we can welcome you and your new wife back to us again in the future.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

My husband and I stayed for one night last Saturday 27th Oct, We are expecting our third child so whilst we had the opportunity we wanted to get away and have a relaxing night. Best Western Park Hall did not disappoint! Upon arrival we were impressed with the exterior of the hotel and also the bright and clean reception area that awaited us. The lady behind the desk (i think she may have been called Donna & I have to say is a huge credit to the hotel) was extremely welcoming and after she started checking us in she advised she could upgrade us to a four poster room...so far so good! The room was lovely, clean & stocked with tea & coffee etc. I had read other reviews which complained about the out dated decor...this may have a small element of truth however the couch was cosy and comfortable & there was a modern flat screen tv; to be honest I couldn't care less about the decor & find it a petty thing to complain about. Negatives about the room would be the shower mainly as it fluctuated between boiling hot and freezing making us have to jump out of the way a couple of times; not the best at 7 months pregnant. The location of the four poster room also is not the best as it is right next to the doorway to the corridor so we could hear the door banging quite a lot. Once everyone was in for the night though I slept soundly.
The first thing we did after arriving was to go for a walk, it was lovely to sit by the lake and take in the peace and quiet and the surroundings are lovely. following this we decided to go to the leisure centre for a swim, we had been informed by reception that we didn't need towels as these were provided which was a nice touch. The pool is quite small however there were few people in which was a bonus for us and at 1 point we had it to ourselves, there is another pool for lane swimmers as well though so something for everyone. There were 2 spa pools, we went in the adult only 1 for around 10 minutes before we left and it felt absolutely great! I couldn't use the steam room or sauna being pregnant so for those I couldn't comment.
We had paid for dinner, bed and breakfast so we headed down to Brookes restaurant and chose 3 courses from the Table d'hote menu; the food was lovely and the service was brilliant. It makes me wonder if the last reviewer used the other restaurant as I was surprised to read their comments!
Breakfast was in the same restaurant and was buffet style, my only grumble is that the 'hot breakfast' was actually lukewarm.
Overall we had a fantastic stay, we got a reasonably priced deal in a great location and had the relax we needed. I have since seen the themed rooms that they have and hope to book for next year for all the family and visit
Camelot, I'm looking forward to it already!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Mummy2Beof3
John M, Operations Manager at Best Western Park Hall Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your stay. All your good comments are lovely to here and it is great that you made such good use of all our facilities including the leisure club and restaurant. It is also lovely to here you enjoyed our lake and surroundings. Thank you for bringing the problems you had with your shower and the doorway noise to our attention, this helps us to improve on future guests stays and I will ensure these issues are rectified.
We do hope you will come to us again next year so we can provide you with another pleasant and relaxing stay.
Thank you again.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Good welcome at reception and room in the village whilst a bit of a trek was clean and a good size for our family. If only that had continued to restaurant and service there. Unfortunately that was not to the same standard and staff, whilst very pleasant, did not seem to know what they were doing. We were given menus and left for a considerable time without asking if we wanted drinks while chosing our meals. Had to ask twice for the wine list, waitress almost dropped soup in my daughter's lap, brought vegetables for main course with the starters only taking them away when we queried why they were there. We had to ask for a spoon for the soup and in the end had to go to get one. Steaks were overcooked and when we asked what the desert options were, my daughter was able to recite the selection rather than the waitress. It was supposed to be a nice birthday meal for my husband but he described it as one of the worst for a long time. Disappointing given other reviews. Perhaps we were just unlucky!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your review and I am pleased you liked your accommodation in our hotel village.
Please let me apologise for your experience in our restaurant, I can assure you this is not our usual standard. Your comments will be used to help towards our staff training which will help us to improve the restaurant experience for all our future guests.
I do hope you will come and stay with us again so we can have another chance to provide you with a great stay.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Yes once we checked in we found out our room was in the village however it was clean and perfect for a family break as we were attending a conference at the hotel plus we were closer to the pool which my daughters loved. Staff are friendly and nothing seemed too much trouble including a girl named Nicky or Vicky on reception she was very helpful during our stay and when it came to checking out my daughter was ill so she offered us a late check out free of charge and when we finally did manage to get back to reception to check out she made sure we had everything we needed in case she was ill on the way home she even gave us tissues and some bags just in case which came in very handy, staff are a credit to this hotel we will be back in summer 2013 to visit Camelot!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your lovely review and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us; our hotel village does provide easy access to our leisure facilities and its great you got to enjoy them. Our staff here always try to make our guests stay as pleasant as possible and I am pleased our receptionist Vicky could help you and your daughter. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Having been one of the organisers of Chorley Panthers RLFC Inaugural Ball, October 12th 2013, I cannot speak highly enough of Park Hall and its staff, right from the very beginning the service we received was first class, nothing was ever too much trouble, regardless of how minor the query Angela and the banqueting team did their best to resolve it.

The evening started with a drinks reception in the Medieval Banqueting Hall followed by a sit down dinner in the Lancastrian suite, the room looked beautiful, the food was gorgeous and the service was brilliant. The feedback we have received since the event has been superb, everybody had a fantastic evening, so much so that by request we will now be repeating the event next year and wouldn't dream of holding it elsewhere.

I along with other guests stayed over for the evening the room was lovely, clean and very comfortable, a couple of light bulbs needed replacing a bit of a makeup issue, but certainly nothing that I'm sure couldn't have been resolved had I reported it. Breakfast was superb.

I think the fact that we have already booked the hotel for next year speaks for itself, can't recommend it enough. Thank you to everyone at Park Hall Hotel, especially Angela, John, the banqueting and bar staff, 248 people and not one found fault!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Angela T
John M, Operation Manager at Best Western Park Hall Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Thank you so much for your lovely comments. I am so pleased your event was such a success, I have passed your comments onto our team here and we are so glad you will be returning next year! We look forward to providing you with another great event, we will see you then.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We are planning our wedding at Park Hall Hotel and decided to stay a night to get a feel for the place. I'm afraid we didn't go around rattling towel rails or checking plugs were wired up right but we did get a good nights sleep on fresh bedding, and a superb breakfast. The staff are helpful, and yes the decor is a bit tired, but if we had wanted a Hilton we'd have trolled down to Deansgate where I can promise you the stay isn't any better! We thought the villiage area great idea and believe they have disabled rooms down there which is great. One reviewer likened it to a concentration camp, I've never had the misfortune to stay in a concentration camp, but I imagine this to be a far cry from 'the Great Escape.' The grounds were quiet and we fed the ducks on the lake. The reception areas were busy with people and it was a nice atmosphere and because of this we have booked our wedding there.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kivvy&theElf
CiaranKelly, General Manager at Best Western Park Hall Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Thank you so much for the fantastic review. I will pass your kind comments onto the team who will all be just delighted.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and helping to make you special day a success

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chorley
Days Inn Charnock Richard M6
The Wrightington Hotel & Country Club
Shaw Hill Hotel, Golf & Country Club
Hallmark Hotel Preston Leyland
Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club
Preston Marriott Hotel
Preston Marriott Hotel
#6 of 15 in Preston

Been to Best Western Park Hall Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!