“Run down, unwelcoming and dirty”
Review of Botany Bay

Botany Bay
Ranked #5 of 30 things to do in Chorley
More attraction details
Owner description: Botany Bay in Chorley has it all - shopping, dining and leisure opportunities in a picturesque canalside location with excellent transport links, just off the M61 motorway. Shop – From clothing and footwear to home furnishings and gifts, Botany Bay is home to many small and unique independent sellers as well as big name brands. We have an all year round garden centre and a Victorian style foodhall packed with local produce that offers a real taste of Lancashire. Plus, our Christmas Shop which is open from September to February each year, is a stunning experience not to be missed! Dine – Throughout the mill there’s a choice of cafes and a licensed restaurant serving anything from breakfast and light snacks to three course meals. Play – Always popular with visitors is our collection of vintage penny slot machines, one of the largest in the UK. We stage a number of events throughout the year, plus our prime position on the Leeds & Liverpool canal offers a wonderful opportunity for leisurely strolls.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children
Wigan
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Run down, unwelcoming and dirty”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I've been visiting Puddletown Pirates for over 3 years with my young child. In that time it has gone from just about acceptable to absolutely terrible. The staff are rude, the equipment is in dire need of maintenance and the whole building needs a deep clean... the carpets are sticky, the tables are likewise, the furniture is threadbare and don't even get me started on the toilets - disgusting! There are other play centres in the area much more worthy of your business in particular the excellent Cheeky Monkeys at Kem Mill Lane in Whittle just a couple of miles away. Avoid here until something drastic is done with the whole set up.

3 Thank Eric A

Bury, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“She Boutique”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Best part of Botany Bay was "She Boutique". I could very easily have bought one of everything (if the husband hadn't been with me). The lady there was really helpful and friendly and gave excellent advise on styles. The prices are a fantastic and the clothes are excellent quality....I can't wait to return.

2 Thank Karen M
Chorley, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great place”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I visited Botany Bay over the weekend and was a little apprehensive about what I may find having read all the negative reviews. Having spent more than four hours there I wasn't sure what all the moans and groans are about.. fair enough the place is is not Boundary Mill but neither is it a brand new purpose built shop. It is a very old converted mill with character and charm. It may need a few quid spending on it in places but generally overall it is a great place to shop.. There is a great ice cream parlour with pancakes to die for.!! All the ground floor shops are well stocked an full of unusual goodies.. great for the odd Christmas present,
The Christmas floor is fabulous with all different American themes. I found all the staff very friendly and very helpful. My wife bought nearly a full wardrobe of clothes from a shop called She Boutique and was looked after by such a lovely lady who couldn't do enough to help, nothing was any trouble.
We are moving house very soon so will be back as there is a fantastic choice of furniture at very affordable prices. We bought some Chocolate treats from the little shop on the ground floor to eat on the way home.. We also bought a lovely big rug and have never seen such a choice of them in one place. Sadly the one we purchased wasn't on display so we had to order it BUT this was delivered today and it was delivered FREE of charge.Cant get better service than that..

Great service,lovely helpful staff and we will be going back..

One criticism is the car park needs some attention..

1 Thank WallaceS59
Manchester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“"She Boutique"”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Amazing clothes available at 'She Boutique'. Nothing like anything else in Botany Bay! Well worth a trip out just for that!! All priced really reasonably and the lady working there was really helpful and offered some good advice on what would suit me! I'll definitely be going back for more!! Thank you!

Visited October 2013
2 Thank CathyPal
Immingham, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Unique and a must see”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Plenty to look at and to purchase. Lots of unique things to buy and a great building. I love returning here.

Visited October 2013