“Disgusting”

Ranked #9 of 11 Chorley B&B and Inns
Preston, England, United Kingdom
“Disgusting”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My wife and I had eaten at the Hartwood a few years ago and really enjoyed it, we were driving past it and we decided to stop and have a bite to eat with our 3 year old.
The first thing I didn't like was the waiter put my plate down and our little girls and said " watch the plate its a bit hot" he was talking about my little girls plate. I felt the plate and it was red hot, I told him "that is far to hot for a child's plate". He went and changed the plate!
I ordered the 12oz burger and my wife ordered the Sunday roast, my chips where luke warm, my onion rings where luke warm and soggy and my burger was hot but limp and a bit soft. My wife's Sunday roast was hot but the cauliflower was rock hard and the peas were also under cooked.
I now feel sick and I will never visit the Hartwood again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Reviewed May 25, 2012

It is 2 courses for £10 for a reason! The food is nasty. Not even pub grub standard!
Service is slow, tables are dirty. Only go there if I was skint at the end of the month!

Avoid at all costs! Better still, go to mc donnalds! You'll get more for your money!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Chorley hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 30, 2012

We stayed here on 28th Aprill, check in was from 2.00, we duly arrived at approx 2.00 sadly the room wasn't ready and we had to wait. Check-in/reception is situated in the pub in the same grounds as the hotel (10 rooms) there was only one person behind the bar, he was trying to serve customers with food/drinks and also take care of check-in.......the room was ok the bath/shower room very small with the door leading to the bathroom caught on edge of the double be each time you went into the bathroom.
The lighting was not very efficient, Bed linen ........the sheet was so thin I could see the mattress underneath, also the duvet wasn't that much better as it was only approx 1 to 2inch in thickness. God help you in winter.
On coming back from our night out we discovered that there was no milk supplied in the room and it isn't a 24hr reception, so no hot drink, or black!!!!!!!!!! Same for the morning, so we suffered and drank Black Coffee.........
The shower door wouldn't stay closed so you had to hold it whilst trying top get a shower. On the up side however, the shower was so powerful it almost sent me into the other room....he he.
We were also disturbed during the night by the late night revellers coming back after 3am

The following morning we were woken up by housekeeping trying to get into the room (9.30am so not much sleep in order to clean)( cheeky) pity they should have dome that before our arrival, we addressed this when we checked out an received a small reduction.... nice touch and full of apologies..

Room Tip: Very small hotel without full facilities.........only worth staying if for a stop off or one night...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Manchester
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Just moved to the area. So decided to have my first informal meeting there, and to check out the hotel for my friends to stay. Generally the staff were courteous, but the food!!!. We thought we would order the steak and ale pie, bangers and mash etc, fish, simple stright forward, oh dear bad choice. What a disaster, absolutely terrible. Wished id brought a catapult for the peas. Microwaved to death, pie dry, no gravy, sausages dry, and the potatoes cold. I know its just a pub with grub, but come on get your act together. When we confronted the young man serving, he just grinned as we showed him the food, then offered a free swee to compensate, bless him. Youve lost out here Hartwood Hotel. Get the staff attitudes sorted, and monitor the kitchen

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Trowbridge
Reviewed January 11, 2012

I stayed at the Hartwood Hotel for 4 nights Mon to Thurs 2 to 5th Jan 2012.

A very basic room, which was noisey from the constant traffic ouside on the roundabout. Luckily I had ear plugs, as the traffic noise dies down then by 3-30 the cockerel has now started to greet the day be warned.

I tried the resturant twice during the evenings, the food was very basic and badly cooked which did little to encourage any further return visit.

Towels that had been left for changing were on two occasions just folded and placed back on the rail??.

Watse bins were only emptied once in the four days despite a note being left as a reminder, I did not sample the breakfast as I was out and away before 7am each morining.

Then to top it all they tried to charge more that the price agreed when booked.

Not a venue I would recomend to others and I will certainly not be rushing back there.

Room Tip: Not at the front and take ear plugs.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Redcar, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2011

Stayed 2 nights 24th 25th Dec we were informed when booking that there would be no hot breakfast,continental breakfast was available and would be left outside your room each day, which was fine and a good selection but 1st night the only cutlery we got were 2 serving spoons ok for cereal but what do we use for the crossiants. 2nd night 4 spoons no other cutlery, the complimentry tea,coffee,milk was not replenished either day. The room was small for a double, the bed was not comfortable the mattress was very hard and one side springs were broken, bathroom heated towel radiator did not work. We were woken each morning at approx 2.30am by a cockrill which crowed every 30mins which was in a neigbouring property. The staff were very helpful and friendly in the restaurant and the food was excellent.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 20, 2011

Heating not working , Wi Fi not working , TV not working until room changed. Kitchen not working for Breakfast. Will NOT be back.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business