“Poor food”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I had the cheese and onion pie. It was the worst I've ever had. For the price I expected better, I asked for mushy peas and got garden peas. My fellow diner had the carvery, the yorkshire puddings were rock hard, even the plate balanced on top of them when the waitress collected our plates. We complained and she was nice about it. I doubt I'll be going back.

Boat H, General Manager at Boat and Horses, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

I am sorry that your meal failed to meet your expectations - could you please email us on boatandhorsesjwlees.co.uk

Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

On a quick visit to England to see family, we arranged to meet here. There was 7 of us including children. The Carvery was hot, fresh with a wide selection of meats and veg. I can highly recommend the Boat and Horses. The children's menu was extensive and catered for tiny appetites to older children. Overall we had a very good experience here and the children were made very welcome.

Boat H, Manager at Boat and Horses, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Thanks for the positive feedback - we hope you'll return to see us next time you're in the UK!

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Visited for a family meal , welcoming staff and prompt service.
Carvery is excellent value , plus there is the usual JW Lees menu.
Sweet menu to die for - spolit for choice just looking at the array of cakes & gateaux on display.
Option to take your chosen sweet home if you are too full or want a treat the next day.
After reading a previous comment about the cheese & onion pie couldn't disagree more. Its both the favorite of my husband and daughter.

Thanks for the great comments, they've been passed on to the team. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

enjoyed my visit and loved the adult area,,just what is needed ...I think the food is well done and enjoyed that too I agree the potatoes were like leather and I complained..my comment going back to the chef...otherwise all ok

Boat H, General Manager at Boat and Horses, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

We are trying to rectify the potato issue by using specific varieties which we know taste fantastic but we are occasionally supplied with types of potatoes that don't lend themselves to be great roasties when cooked on the scale we need, and we certainly don't want to resort to deep frying them like many food providers do.
The team & I really appreciate your positive comments.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

No frills, good home cooked food. Friendly staff and never to much trouble. Not to expensive for the family to eat out.

Boat H, General Manager at Boat and Horses, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Your lovely comments have been passed onto the team - thank you very much and we look forward to seeing you soon!