“Comfortable and very friendly”

BEST WESTERN Higher Trapp Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Burnley
Edinburgh, Scotland
“Comfortable and very friendly”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

A colleague and I stayed here overnight in November 2012. We travelled by taxi from Accrington station and were very glad we had as the roads were quite narrow and twisty as we approached. Taxi fare was £10 in one direction and £8 the other. The first impressions are very good with period antiques and furnishings. Our rooms were in the slightly newer wing of the main house, rooms were of a reasonable size and with modern furnishings, not huge but perfectly adequate. Wifi throughout included in rate which is really what everywhere should offer these days. We had dinner in the restaurant/ bar which had an excellent selection and very friendly staff.
Breakfast was freshly prepared to order.
Will certainly go back if in the area again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
DCCLAPHAM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Higher Trapp Country House Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel. It is lovely to receive your positive feedback about the bedrooms and the food in the restaurant and bar. We strive to provide good value comfortable accommodation, while exceeding our guests expectations and I am pleased we have achieved this.

Maxine Walsh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed for a 2 night break and really enjoyed it. We had a very nice room with a great view over the gardens and hills. The room had 2 chairs which was great as a lot of rooms we've stayed in don't often have any. It was good to have both a bath and shower plus heated towel rail. We stayed half board and the food was really nice with a good choice. All the staff were very friendly. The hotel is within easy reach of some very nice places like Waddington and Clitheroe. Burnley is handy if you want to do some shopping. We hope to go back for another short break in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave a response on trip advisor. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and the amenities provided in your room. I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Colne
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I got married here on 6th Oct 2012 and I stayed over the night before with my bridesmaid and the wedding night with my new husband. It was the best weekend of my life! The staff and quality of service were outstanding. I stayed in the bridal suite both nights, we ordered room service and booked a mobile beautician to pamper myself and my bridesmaid. Nothing was too much trouble for the hotel staff and they were always friendly and happy to help. The room was very clean, spacious and fully equipped with everything we needed. The wedding day itself couldn't have been more perfect. We booked out the entire hotel with our guests and every one of our guests had a lovely stay. The morning after the wedding we all went down for breakfast together, causing more mahem but again this was nothing the hotel staff couldn't handle. The food for our wedding and breakfast the morning after was delicious. Thank you to everyone at the Higher Trapp for a fantastic weekend!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your wonderful words about our hotel. I am delighted we helped you to have a fantastic wedding day with us and the photos you have added are beautiful. I hope you will both return to the hotel soon.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 14, 2012

I stayed for 4 nights (mon - Fri) on business. I was put into a room in the Parker Lodge which is an outbuilding about 100mtrs from the main hotel. It was nice and quiet away from the main hotel and the rooms appear to be quite new or refurbished as everything was very clean and fresh. Comfortable room, warm and light. Food in the restaurant was very good (although not a huge choice) and breakfast was good. Service excellent with all staff being polite and responsive. Would stay again
One small point - replace the failed bulbs in the vestibule areas of the Lodge as it's quite dark and difficult to read the room numbers from outside the building.

Room Tip: Rooms in Parker Lodge are quiet but you have to walk across the car park about 100mtrs. May not be i...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
DCCLAPHAM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Higher Trapp Country House Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for your review on trip advisor. I am pleased to read that you had a pleasant stay in the Parker Lodge. Thank you for your kind words about our staff, your feedback will serve as a motivational tool. The lighting you mentioned outside the bedrooms has been looked at by maintenance since your stay. I hope you will return to the hotel, and I look forward to meeting you on your next visit.

Maidstone
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed at the higher trapp and felt very comfortable and relaxed, the rooms are lovely and clean and very well stocked with tea coffee horlicks and hot chocolate, the food is excellent with a very high choice of variety, reception staff are very friendly and are morethan happy to help, I would definitely stay again without hesitation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank for completing the trip advisor review. We value your feedback and can use this as a training tool. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

England
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We booked again for 2 nights after staying here last summer briefly. This time we stayed in main building rather than in the annexe (Parkers lodge). It was nice not to have to go outside as it was cold and very wet while we were there, but there was much more noise from guests going to bed later than us and from a party on the Saturday night. Rooms further along the corridor which are not above the centre of the building would have been quieter.

The service was very friendly and the food was good in a traditional style. Sometimes we had to repeat orders for food and drinks as the restaurant staff occasionally didn't remember to bring what we'd ordered. But staff were responsive to requests and always helpful and pleasant.

The view is stunning, because of the high location. However, having booked through Best Western, I think the cheaper rooms face away from the valley and we could see that the fancier rooms (as featured on the website) are the ones with the great view over the garden and the hills, as we could see into them when the rooms were being serviced.

Room Tip: If you would like a quiet room, ask for one situated away from the centre of the main building. If y...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
DCCLAPHAM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Higher Trapp Country House Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted you chose to stay with us a second time. The bedrooms overlooking the gardens are available to any guests, Next time you stay, you can request a garden view room if there is one avialable. The Parker Lodge is generally quieter if we have a function taking place in the main hotel which is why we try to allocate guests not attending a function to the quieter rooms.

Thank you once again, I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Clitheroe, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We booked 1 night as we're attending a family 40th birthday. We live locally but never visited before. The staff were very friendly and helpful, food was very good at the family meal in a lovely room. Also breakfast was good. The room was exceptionally clean and adequate, not as big as the ones in the pictures, but was fine for us. The fitzy's bar was lovely and had a really nice atmosphere. Food prices very reasonable for a hotel and bar prices what you would expect to pay for a hotel. Also the price we paid for B&B was very reasonable. Overall a lovely hotel in lovely surroundings, it would be lovely to attend a wedding here! Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Room 17 was fine but smaller than the pictures I've seen of the hotel, but was adequate.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
DCCLAPHAM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Higher Trapp Country House Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for your kind words about our establishment. I am delighted you had an enjoyable family celebration in the hotel and I hope you will return for other occasions in the near future. I will pass on your review to the staff who served you during your stay. I am pleased you had a comfortable stay, we are a country house hotel so our rooms are a variety of shapes and sizes but all provide the facilties you would expect. Many thanks once again.

Kind Regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnley
BEST WESTERN Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club
Rosehill House Hotel
Rosehill House Hotel
#4 of 7 in Burnley
Holiday Inn Express Burnley
Best Western Ribble Valley Langho Mytton Fold Hotel & Golf
Premier Inn Burnley Hotel
Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa

Been to BEST WESTERN Higher Trapp Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!