“Pleasantly surprised”

Best Western Higher Trapp Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Burnley
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed at the Higher Trapp on the 13th September 2012 and was pleasantly surprised. The room we had was a good sized room with a good sized bathroom and decent shower. Lovely views of the surrounding countryside. Having arrived from Canada we were tired and decided to stay at the hotel for dinner, good choice food was excellent and so was breakfast the following morning. The staff are very friendly.
We would stay at this hotel whenever we go back to England and have recommended the hotel to family and friends.

Room Tip: The room we stayed in was room 5.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
DCCLAPHAM, General Manager at Best Western Higher Trapp Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Thank you for your lovely comments about our hotel. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and the facilities in your room were to your liking. I hope you will recommend us to your friends and I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

When i decided to book my wedding at this hotel, i could never have imagined the fantastic level of service and attention to detail.
Our wedding coordinator Jamie, couldn't do enough for me, he was wonderful, he helped with all the questions and didn't mind the numerous calls, questions and changes to my seating arrangements and plans.
My wedding was looked after and ran smoothly and fluently, helped by all of the staff.
We didn't have to think or worry about anything at all, it was definately the perfect day.
The "afternoon tea" style meal we decided on was fantastic, the cakes were fresh and tasty while the sandwiches were full of taste and everyone couldn't get enough.
All of our guests were satisfied and complimented the phenomenal food!
i would definately recommend the The Higher Trapp Country House Hotel to everyone, whether it is for a country pub drink, meal or as a hotel venue for a wedding!
outstanding quality of service and a beautiful location.

Room Tip: The wedding suite is stunning with a beautiful four poster bed and winged chairs, and a fantastic vi...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
DCCLAPHAM, General Manager at Best Western Higher Trapp Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

Thank you for your kind words about our hotel. I am delighted that you were looked after before and during your wedding. We always go out of our way to make sure our Brides, Grooms and their guests have a fantastic day. Thank you once again and I hope you will return to see us soon.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

I recently attended a wedding at the higher trapp. The hotel itself was stunning and the staff were great, but the main meal and evening buffet was awfull. I can honestly say im glad i never had 2 pay for it, it was the worst food i have ever had. The main meal was a pork meal. The potatoes were that dry they were rock hard and the pork was so dry. The dessert was shortbread with chantilly, the shortbread was'nt baked enough. The majority of the wedding party left their food. If that wasnt bad enough the evening buffet was even worse. There was some kind of pasta salad. It was freezing cold and stuck together in clumps totally awfull. There was cold burnt curley fries and burnt to a crisp garlic bread amongst other things. I honestley have never had anything like it. I felt so sorry for the bride and groom. I will defenatly not be recegmending higher trapp to any of my friends.

• Stayed: September 2012
DCCLAPHAM, General Manager at Best Western Higher Trapp Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

Thank for your review on trip adivisor. I was surprised to read your comments as we received positive feedback from the Bride and Groom. However we do take all comments onboard and use all guests feedback to make improvements. Thank you once again.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

It's not often I am moved to give favourable feedback. Like so many other people I'm too busy to recommend the unexceptional. My recent stay at the Higher Trapp hotel near Burnley was exceptional. The location is beautiful - an old country house with a well laid out garden in peaceful surroundings. The staff without exception were friendly, helpful and courteous and are a credit to the company they work for. The food was excellent the beds were comfortable and the prices represented good value for money. I stayed 2 nights though I had only planned to stay for one. Because of a prior booking, when I extended my stay I had to change rooms and the second room had a weak wifi connection. I need the wifi for business and I asked at reception if anything could be done (expecting an apologetic "no" ) but to my pleasure they quickly made another room available to me. The best recommendation I can give is to say that it will be a pleasure to book this hotel again on my next trip to the area.

Room Tip: The rooms in the annex are newer but furnishing throughout the hotel is well maintained
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your kind words about your stay at our hotel. I have passed your review on to the team as it is always motivational to receive positive feedback about the service. I have spoken to reception to find out which room you found had a poor wifi connection and I will be having this rectified within the next week. Thank you once again and I hope you will return to BEST WESTERN Higher Trapp Hotel soon.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

The hotel is in a beautiful setting. The bar/restaurant is lovely and old-worldy and no TV to take away from the charm - although there a TV lounge in the ante-room, if you wish. The staff were friendly.

The rooms are well-sized and immaculate. The courtesy tray is well stocked. Bed quality was excellent. TV quality and choice of channels - including sport - was great. The free wi-fi worked well.

Next time I am in the North West, I intend to go back here just to chill out.

One word of warning - I think there is no lift, so if that is a requirement, just check with the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank TravelBeaucoup
DCCLAPHAM, General Manager at Best Western Higher Trapp Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Thank you for your kind words about our hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and the amenities that we offer in the bedrooms. I look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in the North West.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Higher Trapp is one of our absolute favourite hotels. It is in a most beautiful spot with fabulous views at all times of the year. The food is fresh, well cooked and served by staff with white gloves on - such a super touch! We must have stayed there about twelve times or more in the last three years including lovely Christmas Eve and Christmas days too. Fitzy's restaurant is run with fault free service - the Manager always remembers us and knows what we like and nothing is too much trouble for her. One more thing, all the Receptionists are superbly trained and are spot-on with reservations and any special requests we might have. We are going back again in October and have already booked for Valentine's Day next year!!

Room Tip: Rooms in the Parker lodge and rooms at the back of the hotel have the best views but every room we h...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your response on trip advisor. I am delighted to read how much you enjoy staying with us and I am sure Dawn and the reception team will be pleased to read your comments. I hope you will continue to stay with us and I look forward to seeing you in October.

Kind Regards

Reviewed August 31, 2012

I stayed here for a wedding recently. The wedding arrangements were superb and the food brilliant (you know how wedding is often a little naff? This was brilliant). We were allowed to check in at 11am, which was very accommodating, so we could get ready for the wedding. The room was small but homely, comfortable and with a clean bathroom and very fast wifi.

The grounds are lovely, and the location is excellent - don't let the suggestion here that it is in Burnley fool you - it's not. It's on the edge of the Ribble Valley, which is every bit as pretty as the Lake District.

My only niggles are the little things which let it down. The meats used in the breakfast felt cheap, while someone (who I assume was a manager) was rather snarky during the wedding, bitterly saying 'we've sold a lot of that tonight' when I asked for a second glass of tap water - the room was very hot and, if you're selling beer for just shy of £4 a pint, some water on tap shouldn't be a lot to ask.

With so many other nice things to mention, having those little things let it down feels all the more disappointing.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travellinghiggy
DCCLAPHAM, General Manager at Best Western Higher Trapp Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2012

Thank you for your recent review.
I am delighted that you enjoyed the wedding and that the food was up to our usual standard and exceeded your expectations.
I am very disappointed that a few minor niggles let us down but please be assured that i will be sitting down with my team to see where we can make improvements so these things do not happen in the future.
Kind Regards
Maxine Walsh

Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnley
Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club
#3 of 6 in Burnley
Best Western Mytton Fold Hotel & Golf Club
Holiday Inn Express Burnley
Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa

Been to Best Western Higher Trapp Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!