“Excellent country house hotel”

Best Western Higher Trapp Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Burnley
manchester
“Excellent country house hotel”
Reviewed November 4, 2011

Beautiful location, rooms and public spaces are of a very high standard. Gives you a feeling of opulence that is very relaxing. Would always use this hotel if in the region.

Room Tip: ask for one overlokking the valley, spectacular views
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
MaxineWalsh, General Manager at Best Western Higher Trapp Country House Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
Dear Guest, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review about our hotel, your feedback is greatly appreciated. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and the spectacular views the hotel offers. I look forward to your next visit, hopefully in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Rotherham
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We got married at the Higher Trapp this Saturday and enjoyed an incredible day which ran smoothly thanks to the efficient, conscientious and friendly staff that work there. Nothing was too much trouble, everybody was treated warmly and we felt confident that they would make all of our plans a reality - which they did...and more.
The venue itself was clean and tidy, and has some charming features such as the 'caves' in the garden and the winding stairs which made for dramatic photos. Everybody was happy with their rooms at the prices they paid; they were comfortable with storage space and, most importantly, they provided a good selection of quality biscuits.
The five course dinner was served professionally and our guests enjoyed all courses, especially the cheese wrapped in ham for starters and the chocolate torte. We were worried about the wine situation as some hotels promise to share wine equally for you throughout the meal and then keep some back but our wine lasted for the entire meal and everyone commented on the generosity of it compared to other weddings.
People who particularly stood out for us were Maxine, Dawn and John (the night manager) all of whom went out of their way to ensure our day was the very best that it could be.
We would have no reservations in recommending this hotel to other couples looking for a cost effective venue which offers a friendly, cosy atmosphere. And a huge thank you to all at the Higher Trapp.
Alison and Nathan Ratcliffe

Room Tip: Room 5 was our bridal suite and had a lovely bay window which made for great photos while I was gett...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for your excellent review. I am so pleased you had such a fantastic wedding day with us at the Higher Trapp. Thank you in particular for your comments about Dawn, John and the rest of the team, I have passed you review on all the staff. I hope you both come back to visit the hotel soon we would be delighted to welcome you back.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2011

I feel bad at having to write any bad points about the Higher Trapp, as its such a beautiful building in such beautiful grounds. No wonder then, its such a hit with the wedding market in the Pendle valley, so then,where do I start ?. Last time I Stayed here, we were unfortunate enough to encounter the wedding from hell and had to leave early (least said on that one as I promised I would keep stum) or face being robbed or murdered, or maybe both!.

Good points are, as I said the setting, and the quaint building which would not go amiss in any murder mystery novel by somebody called Agatha. The excellent staff, who keep a cheery air about the place , despite the odds, and sometimes the biggest odds are grumpy guests, and budgets, both of which have to be met, " only, if only they would put their money through the letterbox and not stay", is the situation in a lot of hotels these days, but I'm glad to say, not here !.

The room we stayed in was very good, very roomy and two big windows with a lovely view over the garden, that is if you ignored the chains on the windows and the flat roof which has not seen a clean for years. Big bathroom, with a full size bath, and shower unit, good range of toiletries, the only downside is the shoddy bath seal. The beds were nice, crisp bedding, nice pillows. Plenty of tea and coffee things including nice biscuits, so all well there then. we were staying for two nights, and always leave the room quite tidy, not like the average stag party, so the least we would expect is the same number of towels, and the teabags we used, replaced, but no, and previous guests hair removed from the drawers, but otherwise quite good. We did meet the housekeeping staff, and have got to say , they're a credit to the establishment, as indeed are the rest of the staff

The fritzy bar is a nice and traditional , nice atmosphere, real ales etc. This is where breakfast, and evening meals are served. Breakfast is a let down, whoever cooked it needs lessons in frying eggs, and for goodness sake get rid of the cheap, nasty greasy spoon sausages and use a bit of local produce of which theres plenty to be had there.
The evening meals are not up to Northcote Manor standards, but then neither are the prices.
I could not for the life of me work out how they can charge £12.50 for a breakfast, and only £15.95 for a fillet steak in the evening... beats me, I cant see any profit in that !.

I didnt book the Higher trapp, my brother did, without my knowing. In fact I wouldn't have booked it due to my terrible experience last time. When He told me he had booked us in here, I phoned to check if there was a wedding going on, if there had been, I would have cancelled. I reminded the desk staff of Ms Walsh's promise to "look after us" if we should ever dared to stay again well I'm afraid to say, that looking after us consisted of a cheap bottle of house wine, served with our evening meal. We were even charged for the breakfast and cremated roast beef that we complained about...... CHARMING !. Hadnt it been for these points, I would have scored this hotel higher,

So, summing up, all in all, nice place, nice staff, food a bit iffy, and management forgetful.

Would I stay again ?? well address the small points and I'm sure it would be a pleasure.

PLEASE forgive my bad grammer, as this was written in hurry.... Thanks

Room Tip: rooms in the old building are best.... try room 5 or 7
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
MaxineWalsh, General Manager at Best Western Higher Trapp Country House Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2011
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Firstly, thank you for your lovely comments about all of our staff, we all appreciate your postive feedback about the service during your stay.

Unfortunately you stayed on a very rare occasion that I wasn't present in the hotel which means I was unaware of your stay until my return on the day of your departure. Had I been here I would of course made a point of personally making sure you had a pleasant and comfortable stay. I have read your review in great detail and rest assured I will be looking into all the things you have mentioned some of which I have already taken care of.

I really hope you will return to the hotel as I would like the opportunity to improve your experience from your last stay.
Barrow-in-Furness
Reviewed October 29, 2011

Stayed here for one night which included a breakfast and evening meal.

The food was OK but nothing special.

The breakfast was served in the bar area rather than a dedicated dining room leading to the conclusion that it's a pub with rooms and food. Although adequate it was let down by small points such as cheap and watery orange juice at breakfast. Even the milk looked and tasted as though it had been watered down.

The room was OK but the bathroom could have been a shade larger and the bed gave the impression of being rather cheap quality.

Clean and tidy enough which is always important, and the staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
MaxineWalsh, General Manager at Best Western Higher Trapp Country House Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2011
Many thanks for your review and comments. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and am delighted you found the staff friendly and helpful. I welcome your citicisms as this has highlighted areas where we can improve in particular your comments about breakfast. We have recently changed the orange juice at breakfast, however in response to guest feedback I am happy to report we have switched back. I hope you will return to the hotel as we would like the opportunity to improve your experience and exceed your expectations.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2011

We have just spent a three night break at Higher Trapp. The hotel has a lovely countryside location in the Forest of Bowland with fantastic views all round. We had a large, pleasant and peaceful bedroom overlooking the garden with brilliant views over the surrounding area, which we really appreciated. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, especially the restaurant staff.
We stayed on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis, which we thought was excellent value for money. There was a wide choice of meals and the food was very good, if perhaps occasionally lacking a little in finesse (most main meals were served with a huge pile of leaves as garnish on top which did not add to the otherwise good presentation) but this is a minor point.
We would happily stay at Higher Trapp again if visiting Lancashire and would certainly recommend highly it to anyone wishing to stay in the area.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your feedback is much appreciated and will serve as a motivational tool as well as highlighting areas for improvement. Thank you for your comments about the staff, these have of course been passed on. Furthmore I have passed your comments to the kitchen for review. Thanks again for your comemtns andI hope you will visit us again.
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2011

Having stayed at Higher Trapp several times for weekend breaks I can only applaud the high standard of all of the staff and the restaurant manager Dawn in particular. We have on two occasions arrived after the restaurant was due to close but Dawn welcomed us and ensured we had an unhurried meal. Her friendly manner and attention to detail is typical of all of the staff we encountered.

The hotel is a typical Country hotel - very comfortable with fantastic views and great local walks. We will definitely be back as the warmth of the welcome makes the long journey worthwhile.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your lovely review and comments. I appreciate all your feedback especially about the restaurant staff. Dawn is a highly valued member of the team and I am delighted she was able to exceed your expectations. I really hope you will continue to stay with us in the future.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2011

Very acceptable stay at this hotel.
The location is well out in the country but as I was just here from late in the evening until early morning it did not matter. Should you be looking for some where to socialise I not be hopeful of finding it without the use of a car.
The receptionist was efficient and polite
The room was clean and traditional;
The bed was perfect.
The shower was powerful and warm and there were plenty of soaps etc if you need to use them.
There was a good selection of teas, coffee and chocolate in the room.
Absolutely no external noise to disturbed you.
The breakfast was a hearty full English, fresh warm food that was well cooked.
The three important things for me with any hotel (no matter what the price) is cleanness, hot and powerful shower and a bed I can sleep on, this hotel ticked all those boxes.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Many thanks for you review and your positive comments. I am delighted you found everything to your liking and we ticked all your boxes! We take pride in the service we provide and it is pleasing to hear that we met your expectations. I look forward to your return to the hotel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnley
Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club
#1 of 1 in Billington
Holiday Inn Express Burnley
Best Western Ribble Valley Langho Mytton Fold Hotel & Golf
Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa

Been to Best Western Higher Trapp Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!