“An unexpected delight”

Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Burnley
Reviewed June 21, 2014

I only stayed one night and my room was the furthest possible point from reception. I think I counted six or perhaps seven staircases to reach my room but that was Ok! for the rooms were comfortable, the hotels was perfect for my work, all of which could have been average except for the food. After my rather large lamb shank had been delivered to the table I began eating, when the rest of the vegetables began arriving. Not only was my lamb perfectly cooked but the quality of the rest of my vegetables was wonderful however I could not eat it. This was a meal for giants!
Would I stay again, certainly but perhaps hope for a nearer room next time.

Room Tip: Try and get a lower number than 366, it is a large hotel without lifts.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
BWOaks, General Manager at Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from your recent stay. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and meal in the restaurant. Next time you book with us if you request a room close to reception we will try and allocate a closer room. I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

This former local merchant's stately home, the Oaks Hotel sits in it's own grounds behind well-kept gardens, close to Burnley town centre and the M65 motorway, which heads West into Lancashire and East towards Yorkshire. The hotel is situated right in the heart of mill country with the Leeds and Liverpool Canal also close by for gentle walks in summer months, when you can watch passing barges and boats and talk to their owners as they meander by. Other sights include the "Singing, Ringing Tree" sculpture, the giant weaver's shuttle in Nelson, plus many other attractions within easy reach locally, or within an hour's drive to the likes of Manchester and Skipton. Burnley has a modern bus and rail network with services to other main towns and cities including Manchester, Preston and Blackburn. The nearest bus stop, if required, is directly outside the main entrance to the hotel on Colne Road. Entering the hotel, you are struck by the magnificent central staircase leading up past the even more magnificent stained-glass windows as you head to your room. The Executive Rooms are spacious and comfortable and the family rooms also provide great value with some of the sturdiest bunk beds I've ever seen in my life. (I think I've only ever seen similar in old films involving railway cabins with their fold down beds.) Of course you are also well-placed for any aspiring witches to visit Pendle Hill which sits nearby. The Leisure facilities are also ideal for families with a reasonably sized pool, jacuzzi and sauna. Due to it's size though, not recommended for serious swimmers. (For this two local pools at either Nelson or Burnley.) Also features a gymnasium but I cannot comment as I didn't visit it. I would, however, NOT recommend this hotel for anyone who may have a disability where stairs would pose a problem as I believe only one adapted room is available for disabled guests with entry via another door, otherwise other rooms are via the numerous stairs and corridors. Breakfast is taken in the small dining area which overlooks the lawns to the front of the hotel. I would suggest that, if taking breakfast, then the earlier the better as it can be overly busy and guests outnumber the available seating on occasion. Overall our family thoroughly enjoyed their weekend break. We know the area well and the Oaks is probably the most centrally located hotel with better standards than others closer to Burnley town centre. One word of caution to drivers to note that the area is littered with speed cameras - both static and mobile - and the 30mph limit is strongly enforced.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
BWOaks, General Manager at Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind and insightful review of the hotel and the surrounding area. It was great to hear you enjoyed your experience. It also nice to see some useful tips left for future guests. Once again thank you for taking the time to share your experience and I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

We celebrated a Silver Wedding Anniversary and had a thoroughly fantastic day enjoyed by guests of all ages! The staff were friendly and nothing was too much trouble for us. The hotel pool and spa were enjoyed by all and was of a very high standard. The suite we were in was a fantastic size with a bar, terrace access, beautiful garden view and an additional sofa seating area. I would definitely return to this hotel, the kind staff were friendly and welcoming and this made our stay even more enjoyable.
Thank you to all the staff!

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay and event you attended. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed the event and all that the hotel had to offer. I will share your gratitiude with the team. I hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

Having held our Wedding Reception at the Oaks Hotel in 1989, in what was then their brand new function room, we decided to return back to where it all started, 25 years later with 30 friends and family for a celebratory lunch time meal. Donna, their event's coordinator couldn't have been more helpful. Nothing seemed too much trouble and she went out of her way to ensure the occasion passed without a hitch. The room was beautifully decorated, Daniel and his staff were attentive and accommodating and we had yet another wonderfully memorable day at this hotel. Donna suggested we stay overnight and make a weekend of it, so we took her up on the offer and benefited from the hotel's leisure facilities and a nice breakfast. Too often recently when staying in other establishments we have discovered an out-of-order Jacuzzi or a tepid damp steam room so it was refreshing to see all the facilities In The Oaks Hotel leisure club working perfectly - even the pool was lovely and warm! We will certainly be going back, we don't intend to wait another 25 years before returning !

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel overlooking the lawn !
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your delightful review of your Silver Wedding celebrations held here at The Oaks. I will share your feedback with Donna, Daniel and the rest of the team. They will be delighted to know they had such an impact on your day. I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

We stayed a single night and enjoyed the stay. All the members of staff we met were friendly and accommodating; the hotel felt much less impersonal than many large hotels. The leisure facilities are good; we used the pool, there is also a large sauna and large jacuzzi, and a small one immediately by the pool itself. We had dinner in the room, and the meals were good. Breakfast was functional rather than luxurious.

I've seen a few reviews complaining about the lack of view; we were at the end of a corridor, and looking diagonally from our room we could see the gardens and grounds, but looking straight ahead was just the wall that others have mentioned. I would think the other rooms on the corridor would have a view of nothing but wall. It didn't bother us - the room was quiet and comfortable, but I could see it being a problem for others.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from your recent stay. I was pleased that the majority of your stay was positive. I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

Stayed here for 5 nights whilst on business in Burnley. Great friendly staff and a really quiet retreat. The pool and gym are fantastic and the breakfast was lovely. Quite a big hotel so if you are not good on your feet it could be a struggle but for me it was fine... Make a visit

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Xian1234

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. Its great to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and that you would recommend other guests to visit. I hope we can welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

Attended what I thought was an engagement party for a lovely couple I know very well... To be totally surprised later in the evening when the Bride and Groom appeared and they had already got married in Las Vegas. What a fantastic Surprise! We were totally shocked and thrilled.The Staff did not give anything away... Well done for your discretion! We were totally fooled. The evening was amazing and the Staff were very pleasant and friendly. The Bar was not over priced like some other hotels I have visited and the Homemade Pie and Peas later in the evening was excellent. Also Well done to Donna Eveson who helped organise the Surprise Wedding Reception and did not let me on the Secret! The evening was Fantastic... Thank you for a lovely experience.

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank SallyMoomin

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience of a surprise wedding reception held here at The Oaks. I was delighted that your whole evening was positive. I will share your feedback with the team and in particular Donna who you gave a special mention. I look forward to welcoming you back for future events.

David Martin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnley
Best Western Higher Trapp Country House Hotel
Old Stone Trough Hotel
Old Stone Trough Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kelbrook
Best Western Park Hall Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!