“Massive disappointment”

Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Burnley
Reviewed January 7, 2014

The hotel itself is a beautiful building and very clean. However, we waited in the bar for 15 minutes before anyone even came over to man it, instead the staff seemed more interested in gossiping at the front desk. The food, while nice was ridiculously over priced and we ended up finding a far better restaurant else where. We stayed in room 104 which, while the radiators were off was too hot to bare sleeping in, we had to keep the Windows open all night and when we went to get a fan from reception (a service which we were told was 24hrs) the shutters were down and not a member of staff could be found. Because of the heat in the room we barely slept both nights we stayed. There was a staff party on the last night and the hotel got members of staff from other hotels to fill in - this is the only time we got decent service. We checked out at half 10 the next day and the fill in staff were still there. The poor temp girl at the reception had to deal with our complaint and took our number for the manager to call us about the issue. He called 3 days later and said all he can offer is a discount on our next stay at the hotel. We are diamond customers of best western and were annoyed with the way we were palmed off at every turn. Even half the leisure facilities were unavailable due to them not working. Safe to say we will not be going back and best western chain will definitely be hearing from us on the matter.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Stevie C
BWOaks, General Manager at Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following on from our conversation yesterday. My impression was that you enjoyed your stay but the room was too hot. You seem to have brought some more issues to light which we did not discuss yesterday. I will look into these immediately. Please accept my apologises for the issues you encountered. If you wish to discuss them any further please don't hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

A little late in sharing, but we held our company Christmas party at The Oaks Hotel, and what a fantastic night it was! I would like to extend our thanks to all of the staff that helped us with the months of planning, and on the night of the party itself. It was an amazing experience, which all 130 staff members fully enjoyed!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback about your Christmas party. I was delighted to hear that your entire party had such a great evening. I look forward to welcoming you back for next years Christmas party.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Just back from the New year's Casino party at the Oaks. When we arrived last night, there was no hot water for showers - not a good start. Friends who had arrived hours earlier had the same experience. The tables for the dinner (buffet) had been well laid-out, and we had a free glass of champagne. The seafood table was fantastic - all types of seafood, beautifully presented and well-judged - I loved it. The carvery was a different matter - ham, beef or turkey. The beef was hard and dry - the chef is clearly inexperienced, it was so overcooked as to be inedible. Didn't try the others, they looked stringy. This was accompanied by some frozen vegetables and a dish of something that looked like dark brown water. Shockingly bad. The dancing was fine, although the dj catered more for the very young, playing lots of dance-type music. Our room was a long walk, up and down several sets of stairs. The bed was extremely comfortable, a very good sleep. This morning at brunch, I arrived after my friends, who had been told there was a 25 minute wait - I was then told that my wait would be 35 mins!! Went to get some orange juice, only to find that it had been watered down so much that none of us could drink it - it was VILE!! When my breakfast eventually arrived (40 mins later, after being reminded), my sausage was completely raw! The nice waitress immediately apologised & said it was clearly uncooked and offered to get me another. I just said no, as by this stage I just didn't care. Another lady walked past our table & said she was taking her sausages home for her dogs - they were unfit for human consumption!! So, to sum up, I liked the bed and the very nice staff. The room was fine. The appalling food , lack of hot water & the waiting - forget it! Not a good experience! Too many people complain about the same things - the management really doesn't appear to care. The excuse will probably be 'we were busy' Well yeah, it's a hotel on New Year's Eve - what do you expect? You should be prepared. Oh and hire people who can cook.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I was disppointed that you encountered some problems. Please accept my sincere apologies. The water issue was rectified as soon as we had been made aware of the problem. I will be following up your feedback with my team with regards to both the food and waiting times. As you stated being busy is no excuse and I can assure you I care greatly about the experience we offer to all our guests. Again please accept my apologies.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We had a great family New Year's Eve Party at The Oaks (2013). I'm shocked to read some of the negative reviews because they don't reflect our experience. All the family agreed it was a really good experience from walking in, to leaving the next day. The staff at both the family party and at breakfast next morning were as efficient, helpful and polite as they could have been. The young lady who was organising the family party was absolutely super efficient. If I had to make one criticism it would be that the food was a little slow but absolutely beautiful went it came. It's a big old house, if you're looking for something super modern then pick a different venue. Of course there's a bit of dust, have you seen how much beautiful wood there is in the building.

Holden Family

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. I was very happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience here at The Oaks. I will share your feedback with all the staff. I hope we can welcome you and your family back soon.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

I stayed at The Oaks Hotel for 2 nights over the 2013/2014 New year period the hotel was lovely, breakfast superb and staff friendly and helpful, I also used the gym which was well equipped for a workout to blow the cob webs out. Great Casino themed new years eve party again the staff were superb, food and beverage manager was very helpful and did a fantastic job must spend hours on his impressive hair

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with regards to your stay and new year's festivities. I am delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. I look forwards to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

We had our wedding at the Oaks on the 27th Dec 2013 and I cannot praise the staff enough. They went out of their way to make our day extra special, from reception staff to bar staff to Dave the Manager everyone was amazing. The nicest staff we have ever met at any function, nothing was too much trouble. Louise on reception was extra helpful letting us order pizza the night before, providing us with safety pins and arranging for a tray of bacon butties to be sent up whilst we were all getting ready! Dave was so calm even with my many questions and the room was set up exactly as I had imagined, even with the extra bonus of the christmas tree! Thankyou all so much it was a day we will never forget and I would recommend anyone thinking of booking a wedding at the Oaks to go ahead and do it!! xx

Room Tip: We had an executive suite and it was beautiful xx
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your wedding day. I was delighted to hear that we could help make your big day a success. I will share your kind comments with the team.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

We had a 4 day stay over Xmas hols,using Oaks as a base to visit family.Room was great value for money,room only basis and child was given selection box which was a nice touch.Pool and jacuzzi were a bonus and was spotlessly clean.Staff very friendly and helpful,only slight negative was mattress was a bit uncomfy over 4 days

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback with regards to your recent stay. I was pleased to hear you had a positive experience. I do hope we can welcome you back soon.

David Martin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnley
Best Western Higher Trapp Country House Hotel
Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
Foxfields Country Hotel
Foxfields Country Hotel
#1 of 1 in Billington

Been to Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!