“xmas visit at The Oaks”

Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Burnley
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We had a 4 day stay over Xmas hols,using Oaks as a base to visit family.Room was great value for money,room only basis and child was given selection box which was a nice touch.Pool and jacuzzi were a bonus and was spotlessly clean.Staff very friendly and helpful,only slight negative was mattress was a bit uncomfy over 4 days

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
BWOaks, General Manager at Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback with regards to your recent stay. I was pleased to hear you had a positive experience. I do hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed December 22, 2013

We went for our works xmas do, 57 of us on the Adele and Lady Gaga night. What a great night we all had, as the drink was flowing the only let down was the time we got our meals, it would of been better if they could of served a little sooner. The acts weren't up to Las Vegas standards but they were still good, the guys loved Lady Gaga ( think the lack of clothing helped lol ) Overall a really good night and not one bad comment from anyone they all really enjoyed it!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Christmas party you attended. I am very happy that you and your party had a great evening. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

Good hotel, we have in the past stayed at another local best western and a mercure to visit our family but we will be back at the Oaks again for certain, the hotel has a lovely grandeur to the hotel with an amazing staircase with a stain glass window which lit up in the evening and was lovely, you feel you are entering a stately home as you arrive, staff was both friendly and helpful, food in the evening was good and bar prices reasonable for a hotel of this standard with a good range of drinks on the bar, only downside was the unsightly bin area we could see from our room we did mention this to the young manager (cant remember his name but was wearing glasses and had dark hair) he informed us had been damaged due to recent weather and was on the maintenance list for rectification (hopefully on our next visit it will be sorted) he was also very informative on the history of the hotel from tea merchants to present day. We would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms near the trash area
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and that you found the team helpful and informative. I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

we used this establishment for our Christmas Party outing from work. we were squashed in like sardines, I had to stop eating so my husband could lift his fork to his mouth. the soup was lukewarm at best,very small amount and I had small pieces of raw potato in mine. The best I can say about the turkey is that is was cooked...(ie not raw) but as dry as dry could be. One small rosted potato cut in half, brussel sprouts and carrots Ive never seen the likes of before...so waterlogged it was untrue. Desert was three tiny profitoroles and I would say that the coffe and mince pies contravened the trades discription act. tiny little things and inedible...so much so that my husband spit his out into his napkin!!! then there was the service..but dont get me started on that. I think by now you will have got the picture that this isnt a place to go and for a price of £29.99 per head it was also daylight robbery. be warned

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
BWOaks, General Manager at Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I will look into the issues you have raised.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Goodness me, where do i even start? To some the night up in one word ... SHOCKING! We went for our works Christmas party and after paying £25 a head, we were all expecting much more. The thing that let us down the most was the food ... (or lack of) I ordered the salmon, well i needed a steak knife to cut through it. And the veg haha laughable! Couldn't even fit my fork in my sprout it was so hard. And ONE tiny potato cut in half. Safe to say all of our table were left hungry and disappointed. Since returning back to work, several of our staff have made complaints to David the Manager, only for him to offer us 50% discount on our next party. What an absolute insult to us. I don't think he realised the point is that we NEVER want to return to that dump, never mind spend our HARD EARNED money there. I would stay well clear of this place unless you want an empty purse/wallet and to go home with an empty stomach.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Rachel H
BWOaks, General Manager at Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Please accept my apologies that you did not enjoy the event night you attended. I will be using your feedback to make improvements.

Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

Disappointed on entering the hotel the reception was dusty and dirty the room was a little better but personally the cleaner need a kick into gear! The facilities are good and its in good area the food at breakfast was rubberified so left hungry. Wont be returning in a hurry for a best western hotel this one is below standards of others i have stayed in.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Clitheroe39

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am sorry that you had some problems. I will look into your comments with my management team so we can improve on the areas you have highlighted.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

We attended a MM night along with friends who were celebrating a special event with around 24 of their family & friends. The plot was what we had seen on a visit 4 yrs ago, as were a majority of the 'cast'. As the evening wore on it became impossible, due to the general hubbub, to keep track of what was going on. The worst part of the evening though was the food. I had prawn cocktail, chicken and cheesecake. The prawn starter consisted mainly of what could best be described as 'smart- price' prawns garnished with a stringy form of rocket. The chicken was in the form of a fibrous lump of meat with three pallid roast potatoes. Sliced carrot and some other vegetable were also available. I was only able to ingest the chicken following a lengthy period of mastication and eased down with a sip of lager with each mouthful. My wife, someone who enjoys cheesecake, told me it was not very good; this was my guess, though I rarely eat it.. When eventually coffee arrived, the milk was supplied in gravy boats. I could have happily left the lot but our friends were sat opposite to us & I had no wish to cause upset.
Definitely my last visit there and one which I don't now hesitate to advise others about.
Last night 40 of us from an organisation we belong to had a lovely evening at Rolls Royce Social Club in Barnoldswick, 25 minutes from the Oaks. We were ably ENTERTAINED by the excellent Glenn Southworth. This was everything the Oaks night wasn't, and it was a little less expensive. This was our third annual dinner there and we booked again for next year.
I wrote a reasonable letter of complaint, the first time in my 70 years, to the management outlining in a polite way my dissatisfaction about it all. To date I have not had a reply. Two weeks ago we stayed in a Great Western hotel in Earls Court, London and no complaints about that, so presumably it is a local problem.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Joe M

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback with regards to the event you attended. I was disappointed to hear that you encountered problems. Please accept my sincere apologies. I trust you have now received a response to your letter. If you would like to discuss any further please don't hesitate to contact me at the hotel.

David Martin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnley
Best Western Higher Trapp Country House Hotel
Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
Travelodge Burnley
Travelodge Burnley
#6 of 6 in Burnley

Been to Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!