“Not bad - but not good either.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club

BEST WESTERN Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Burnley
“Not bad - but not good either.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

The hotel itself isn't particularly remarkable. In a word the experience was disappointing.

The whole place is in need of some TLC, however bed was comfortable and room clean.
Staff were average - did their jobs with a smile but the service wasn't very personal.
The room itself was miles away! Like many other reviewers I was up and down endless steps before actually getting to the room.

This would have been a 3 star review, however what I was completely shocked about was the fact that they were holding some sort of 'Robbie and Gary Tribute Act' in one of their conference rooms (right in the middle of the bedrooms) which was extremely noisy right up until the early hours of the morning. I have never experienced anything of the like. The room walls were vibrating until at least 2am with the sound of the party.
One of my family summed it up perfectly - it was like being in a tent at T in the Park. We were kept awake by this for the majority of the night.

When you visit a hotel you expect to be able to sleep. Apparently Best Western had forgotten this.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
BWOaks, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback with regards to your stay at The Best Western Oaks Hotel. I was disappointed to hear your stay did not meet your expectations. May I offer my apologies. I will be using your feedback to help us serve out guests better in the future. I hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

David Martin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Bewdley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

Stayed recently on business with my boss for 3 nights.

Booked quite late but wasn't disappointed.

Lots of parking space available on arrival and met by a warm welcome.

I was directed to my room by receptionist and advised to follow the stairs.She wasnt joking!!! I was up and down like a mountain goat but eventually found my room at the furthest point away from reception.

Room was very spacious, clean, tidy and had plenty of room for work and a sofa to relax on too.

Bed was comfortable and 3 good nights sleep were had.

We used the restuarant for breakfast and dinner and we were not disappointed on any occasion. A good selection of food served quickly and with a smile every time.

I used the pool and spa area and this too was excellent.

A good base for my business trip and happy with the overall trip.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
BWOaks, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent feedback. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you’re next in the area.

Kessingland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

This hotel is quite local to me and I haven't stayed here until now. When I was younger it was a well renouned hotel in the area, however it is in need of a facelift.

The grounds in which the hotel is set is beautiful and the entrance and reception rooms are in keeping with the history of the hotel. However, the rooms are average size but very dull and basic for the price you pay and they need bringing up to date.The corridors smell of the swimming pool and its very hot - must be a theme of Best Western.

Bottom line Average!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback with regards to your recent stay. I was disappointed to hear that not all aspects of your stay met with your expectations. I will bear your comments in mind and look how we can improve moving forwards.

Ashton-under-Lyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

My other half and me organized a romantic break around Yorkshire dales and choose the oaks hotel after seeing the lovely building pictures.

When arriving to the hotel we where greeted by a nice receptionist and asked to "follow the signs to our room". After going up and down diferent set of stairs we arrived to our room, 256.

The room had a little window and as only view a brick wall! The room itself was on an extension, so you don't sleep in the main building, besides the room was tired, uninspiring, old furniture, bland beds. It wasn't clean either, on one of the bedside table draws we found some condoms (luckily unused!) and a bottle of some kind of sexual aid gel, supposedly left by a passionate couple that stayed before us. Dust on the alarm clock, dirty TV remote control...didn't help on making out stay anymore confortable.

We decided to have a pint on the bar, lovely grand room with big and comfortable leather sofas, that made us forget a bit about the depressing bedroom. Then we got back to our bedroom around 11:30pm, with the intention of getting some sleep. Unfortunately there was some kind of party/performance downstairs, with loud music that stopped us from sleeping. When rang reception to complain about the issue, we were told that it was going to finish at 12:45 and that he was going to ask to turn the music down a bit. After waiting for 10minutes, seeing that no change was made with the noise we decided to pack up and leave the hotel.
The young boy that spoke to us was polite and understanding, and said there will be no charge for the night. Luckily we only live 45minutes away so we managed to finally go to bed at 1pm.

I have never had to leave one hotel before for being unable to sleep, this is unacceptable. The main building is lovely and the service was always polite and correct, but lack of cleanliness, renovation and good management brings the place down. I was surprised we weren't offered a change of room to a less noisy place at any time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
BWOaks, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I would like to apologise that you encountered problems and had to leave early. We would have looked to have moved you to a different room on the evening but the hotel was full. I have shared your feedback with regards to the items found in the room and the house keeping team will ensure there are no future occurrences. If you would like to discuss the matter any further please don't hesitate to contact me.

Taunton UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

I stayed for a night on business, The grounds look good, the old building is very impressive, but the hotel itself is mainly a modern extension so is below average.
The room I was allocated was cramped a little tired but fine for a nights crash.
The restaurant food was very average and expensive. The wine was over priced for flat bottomed bottled supermarket type plonk. The service was okay, but nothing great. The only plus was the gym and pool which to be fair was a real bonus.
i will not be returning by choice!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the old part of the hotel i guess
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
BWOaks, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. Can i apologise if we did not meet your expectations. I will be discussing your feedback with my team so we can improve what we offer to our guests in the future.

Harrow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Thsi hotel is great if you want to take your dogs along for a break. The staff are excellent and friendly and were good enough to locate me and the dogs on the ground floor close ot an exit (which come in handy if the dogs need to go out in the night) and for easy access to unpack/pack the car.
Every meal was top class plus a good selection on the menu.
The room was large because Best Western had phoned ahead and upgraded our room as we recently joined as loyalty card holders (well worth joining).

Great location for walking the dogs and if you and the dogs are fit enough its a good walk into Burnley.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BWOaks, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thankyou for your recent feedback. I was very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. We do try accomodate all guests indiviual needs and i'm happy we managed to do so for yourself. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Eye, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

We booked into the Oaks for 2 nights as we were attending a Wedding on Easter Saturday. The hotel itself is beautiful with the lovely stained glass window. It is a pity the same can not be said about the food ! Prawn cocktail overloaded with sauce, the main course was awful - after eating in the restaurant the 1st night we were going to cancel for the next night but after stating we were not please we were offered a complimentary main for the 2nd night which we accepted, slightly better. The cooked breakfast on both mornings was inedible, very dried up and cold. After a long journey on the Good Friday I decided to have half hour in the pool area, unfortunately about 2 dozen teenage lads decided to jump in and use all the facilities - they were not told by leisure staff to quieten down so had to go back to room after 5 mins.

Room Tip: Rooms near reception do not have as many steps to climb
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cswright54
BWOaks, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thankyou for your feedback. I would like to apologise if we did not meet your expectations in all areas. I will be using your feedback to improve the service we offer in both our restaurant and leisure club.

David Martin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnley
BEST WESTERN Higher Trapp Country House Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Burnley
Rosehill House Hotel
Rosehill House Hotel
#4 of 7 in Burnley
Premier Inn Burnley Hotel
Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
BEST WESTERN Park Hall Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to BEST WESTERN Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!