“A nice stay after a terrible start...”

Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Burnley
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We arrived at The Oaks Hotel and checked in, we were given room 254 and directions to our room, when we finally found the room after a bit of a hike around the stairs and corridors, we opened the door to find a room which seemed to have held a party the night before.

Beds were'nt made, a mattress on the floor, numerous cans and bottles of pop around the room and the bathroom in a sorry state, we called down to reception and explained to the receptionist the state we had found the room in...we made our way back to reception.

We had also booked a double room, and room 254 was actually a twin room, regardless to this, it was in no fit state anyway. The receptionist asked us to wait while the room was cleaned where we explained it was a double room we had origionally booked, she helpfully found us a double room, 241. The receptionist was very apologetic.

We made our way to room 241. where we opened the door to a lovely well presented double bedroom. The room was spacious and comfortable, the bathroom looked lovely, although on closer inspection it wasn't as clean as it should have been.

The facilities of the gym and spa where excellent and the area there was sparkling.

Breakfast was good, lots on offer, although hot food was short when we arrived and we had to wait awhile for some foods. Staff were very friendly and helpful at breakfast time.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank VickyS1989
BWOaksHotel, General Manager at Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

Thank you for your comments.

I am sorry your stay started off badly however am pleased to hear that the team members rectified this for you.

We do hope that we will see you once again at the hotel in the future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed May 7, 2012

Stayed here for one night to attend a family wedding.
NO LIFT!!!!!.MY MUM HAS DIFFICULTY WITH STAIRS SO NO LIFT WAS A BIG DISAPPOINTMENT.All hotels have lifts.How do the disabled guests manage?
Hotel staff very pleasant.Breakfast very disorganised.Asked 3 times for tea as well as coffee.Came eventually.Also asked for toast which never arrived .Eggs came 5 at a time so when guests took 2 each next guests had a long wait until they were replenished.
Rooms very dark,not good when applying makeup.
Bar prices extra high.
Nice pool/jaccuzi but again too dark.
Would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for one with fewer stairs to it!!!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Best Western Oaks Hotel.

Unfortunately given the character of the building it does not lend itself to a lift and the staircase is a main feature of the hotel. A lift is not a statutory requirement within the hotel. Provisions are in place for disabled guests to ensure that they can take advantage of the hotel and its facilities.

I am sorry to hear that you would not visit the hotel again as we do aim for excellence on every visit.

Kind Regards

Reviewed April 9, 2012

Stayed in room 152 which appeared to be a disabled room. Room was tidy but outdated and needs updating, bed was not good either.

Breakfast was very good and staff on reception polite.

• Stayed: April 2012
OaksHotel, General Manager at Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2012

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at The Oaks Hotel and Leisure Club.
All our bedrooms are currently undergoing a process of refurbishment in order to update the facilities on offer.
Thank you for your comments with regards to your breakfast experience and the reception team, i shall pass these comments onto those team members concerned.
Once again, Thank you for your comments; as all feedback is important to us.
We look forwarding to welcoming you to the hotel once again.

Reviewed March 28, 2012

Stayed here for one night for a function.

The room was clean and of a good standard with a comfy bed. Good breakfast.

The only disappointing element was the very slow service at the function with a long wait between courses.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for your comments regarding your visit to The Oaks Hotel and Leisure Club.
I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your bedroom and breakfast experience.
I am sorry to hear that you found the service slow, this is an issue I shall address with the events team to rectify as we are proud of our customer service and always strive for satisfaction.
Thank you once again for your comments.

Reviewed March 22, 2012

I stayed here with my husband as it was near to the venue where our friend was holding her party. The hotel is a lovely old building with a large hallway and a beautiful stained glass window above the staircase. The staff were extremely helpful and couldn't do enough. Our room was clean as was the adjoining bathroom. Guests also get to use the gym and spa facilities for free.
We thoroughly enjoyed our brief stay and would definitely recommend it to others.

• Stayed: February 2012

Thank you for your lovely comments with regards to your stay at The Oaks Hotel and Leisure Club.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and will pass your comments onto the team.

We do hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

Good things about this hotel: Some good food: goats cheese starter excellent - enough for two in fact, and poached eggs cooked to perfection; staff very friendly; bed comfortable. Free wi-fi worked well; no connection problems. House red wine very pleasant.
Not so good - well quite a lot. Had to wait at the unattended desk for check-in: only one person on duty, but in the room at the back on the phone to a supplier, so not a good start. This is not the receptionist's problem, but a management issue. Bit of a trek to the room, which was not a problem however the electronic card did not work in the door when I got there - fortunately there was a handyman fitting a new shower next door and so I was able to ring reception who came quickly with a working card. Entrance light in room broken - this is billy basic stuff. Sink cracked; taps tatty, shower tired - however the room was next on the list to get new shower fitted and I was told the sink and taps would be replaced too. What was very poor was that the shower-gel dispenser - locked to the wall - did not work. Clearly had been not working for a while - marks of other desperate customers trying to prize shower gel out of it.
Restaurant: Main course veg undercooked - I like my veg crunchy, but could hardly get a fork into the carrots or cut the baby sweetcorn. Profiteroles a little sweet for my taste, but perfectly good - however plate not shiny squeaky clean - I suspect the washing up machine water was a bit tired. Cooked breakfast fine; but no croissants on offer; toast cooked in a badly adjusted conveyor (I guess - too fast and too hot) so singed rather than toasted. Coffee was unpleasantly strong and bitter instant coffee rather than the cafetiere of ground coffee that should surely be standard in a hotel of this many stars!
In summary - friendly staff; I put the problems down to management who were nowhere to be seen.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Eric_the_Bish

Thank you for your comments following your visit to The Oaks Hotel and Leisure Club.

The hotel is undergoing refurbishment as stated in order to rectify any issues that you may have found.

I am sorry that you found some elements of your visit to be less than satisfcatory, I shall raise these issues with both the team members concerned and the management team who I can assure you are very much in a hands on capacity.

I do hope that you will return to the hotel in the future to allow the team the opportunity to show this.

Reviewed February 5, 2012

Me and my girlfriend decided to stop at the hotel for one night, we live locally so we thought we would get out of the grasps of our parents and get away for a cheap night. The room was very nice (apart from a few spider webs), was plenty to watch on tv which I thought was ideal.

We spent most of the day in the hotel room just relaxing, the TV was in a awkward place so the pole that came up from the bed blocked out a bit of the tv so we had to lie right on the edge to watch the tv. I had a nice soak in the bath and no complaints at all with the bath, water came out very quickly so it was filled in minuets and the water was steaming, was a wonderful bath. Nice size room, nice size bathroom and overall a nice room topped off with a nice dresser with mirror that my girlfriend was fond of.

We later went down to the restaurant (you have to tell reception what time you would like tea, you have to pick between 7-10, we went down at 8.30) for a starter the price rang was £4.50-£5.50, main courses was £12.95-£18 and for desert all of them was £3.50. Not a amazing wide range of courses to pick from (half of them was different kind of steaks) but I ordered to have a local pheasant which was deliciouse (£13.95) and my girlfriend ordered sirloin steak (£15) (pay extra £3 for chips) and we had a desert each my girlfriend having lemon Miraunge (sorry for spelling) and myself chocolate cheesecake (each £3.50) total for our meal was £36, we then went for a couple of drinks myself having 2xJ2o and my girlfriend having 1 coke that came up to £7.10. The bar had no one serving so for both my drinks I had to go to reception and ask someone to come serve me.

We then went back up to the room were we chilled out for abit more but when it came to going to sleep the room was just to hot, I had a restless night because our bed was right next to a radioter which I could not turn off. The bed was very comfy.

The hotel itself is a very old fashioned but lovely building (with a lot of stairs). Unfortunately we did not to use any of the leisure facilities.

So £42 to stay
About £60 for 3 course meal and 2 drinks.
For a sandwhich at dinner it is £5 for 1 sandwich.
In the room you get wi-fi, sky sports and the average Freeview channels.
You get tea and coffee in the room + a iron and ironing board.

I would recommend this hotel for couples not families because a average family of 4 it would cost around £200 a day for decent meals and room.

I hope my review helped :)

Room Tip: Always look at the lavender website through the price listing because at first the room was going to...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Curtis D

We do strive for guest satifasction and I am pleased that we were able to achieve this with yourselves.

We do hope you can visit again in the future, and maybe take advantage of our excellent leisure facilities also.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnley
Best Western Higher Trapp Country House Hotel
Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
Foxfields Country Hotel
Foxfields Country Hotel
#1 of 1 in Billington

Been to Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!