“Great hotel with very friendly staff.”

Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Burnley
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great hotel with very friendly staff.”
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I stayed here with my husband as it was near to the venue where our friend was holding her party. The hotel is a lovely old building with a large hallway and a beautiful stained glass window above the staircase. The staff were extremely helpful and couldn't do enough. Our room was clean as was the adjoining bathroom. Guests also get to use the gym and spa facilities for free.
We thoroughly enjoyed our brief stay and would definitely recommend it to others.

• Stayed February 2012
OaksHotel, General Manager at Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Thank you for your lovely comments with regards to your stay at The Oaks Hotel and Leisure Club.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and will pass your comments onto the team.

We do hope to see you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Plymouth UK
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Good things about this hotel: Some good food: goats cheese starter excellent - enough for two in fact, and poached eggs cooked to perfection; staff very friendly; bed comfortable. Free wi-fi worked well; no connection problems. House red wine very pleasant.
Not so good - well quite a lot. Had to wait at the unattended desk for check-in: only one person on duty, but in the room at the back on the phone to a supplier, so not a good start. This is not the receptionist's problem, but a management issue. Bit of a trek to the room, which was not a problem however the electronic card did not work in the door when I got there - fortunately there was a handyman fitting a new shower next door and so I was able to ring reception who came quickly with a working card. Entrance light in room broken - this is billy basic stuff. Sink cracked; taps tatty, shower tired - however the room was next on the list to get new shower fitted and I was told the sink and taps would be replaced too. What was very poor was that the shower-gel dispenser - locked to the wall - did not work. Clearly had been not working for a while - marks of other desperate customers trying to prize shower gel out of it.
Restaurant: Main course veg undercooked - I like my veg crunchy, but could hardly get a fork into the carrots or cut the baby sweetcorn. Profiteroles a little sweet for my taste, but perfectly good - however plate not shiny squeaky clean - I suspect the washing up machine water was a bit tired. Cooked breakfast fine; but no croissants on offer; toast cooked in a badly adjusted conveyor (I guess - too fast and too hot) so singed rather than toasted. Coffee was unpleasantly strong and bitter instant coffee rather than the cafetiere of ground coffee that should surely be standard in a hotel of this many stars!
In summary - friendly staff; I put the problems down to management who were nowhere to be seen.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Eric_the_Bish
Thank you for your comments following your visit to The Oaks Hotel and Leisure Club.

The hotel is undergoing refurbishment as stated in order to rectify any issues that you may have found.

I am sorry that you found some elements of your visit to be less than satisfcatory, I shall raise these issues with both the team members concerned and the management team who I can assure you are very much in a hands on capacity.

I do hope that you will return to the hotel in the future to allow the team the opportunity to show this.
Burnley, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Me and my girlfriend decided to stop at the hotel for one night, we live locally so we thought we would get out of the grasps of our parents and get away for a cheap night. The room was very nice (apart from a few spider webs), was plenty to watch on tv which I thought was ideal.

We spent most of the day in the hotel room just relaxing, the TV was in a awkward place so the pole that came up from the bed blocked out a bit of the tv so we had to lie right on the edge to watch the tv. I had a nice soak in the bath and no complaints at all with the bath, water came out very quickly so it was filled in minuets and the water was steaming, was a wonderful bath. Nice size room, nice size bathroom and overall a nice room topped off with a nice dresser with mirror that my girlfriend was fond of.

We later went down to the restaurant (you have to tell reception what time you would like tea, you have to pick between 7-10, we went down at 8.30) for a starter the price rang was £4.50-£5.50, main courses was £12.95-£18 and for desert all of them was £3.50. Not a amazing wide range of courses to pick from (half of them was different kind of steaks) but I ordered to have a local pheasant which was deliciouse (£13.95) and my girlfriend ordered sirloin steak (£15) (pay extra £3 for chips) and we had a desert each my girlfriend having lemon Miraunge (sorry for spelling) and myself chocolate cheesecake (each £3.50) total for our meal was £36, we then went for a couple of drinks myself having 2xJ2o and my girlfriend having 1 coke that came up to £7.10. The bar had no one serving so for both my drinks I had to go to reception and ask someone to come serve me.

We then went back up to the room were we chilled out for abit more but when it came to going to sleep the room was just to hot, I had a restless night because our bed was right next to a radioter which I could not turn off. The bed was very comfy.

The hotel itself is a very old fashioned but lovely building (with a lot of stairs). Unfortunately we did not to use any of the leisure facilities.

So £42 to stay
About £60 for 3 course meal and 2 drinks.
For a sandwhich at dinner it is £5 for 1 sandwich.
In the room you get wi-fi, sky sports and the average Freeview channels.
You get tea and coffee in the room + a iron and ironing board.

I would recommend this hotel for couples not families because a average family of 4 it would cost around £200 a day for decent meals and room.

I hope my review helped :)

Room Tip: Always look at the lavender website through the price listing because at first the room was going to...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Curtis D
Thank you for your comments regarding your visit to The Oaks Hotel and Leisure Club.

We do strive for guest satifasction and I am pleased that we were able to achieve this with yourselves.

We do hope you can visit again in the future, and maybe take advantage of our excellent leisure facilities also.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 30, 2012

The quality and service of this hotel is a disgrace. I’m really not usually one to complain, but my recent experience at The Oaks was no less than appalling. I had arranged to stay at the hotel with my Mum as a treat for her birthday. We chose it for the spa facilities and I don’t see my Mum that often as we live in different counties, so we were really looking forward to spending some girly time.

Firstly, no-one was on reception to check us in for 20 minutes and we had to look for a member of staff, who was less than friendly. Our room, which was £98 for db&b, was in the bowels of the hotel, which was freezing and run down to say the least.

We had our dinner, which was ok but not worth the price, wandered back to our room only to hear the sound of dogs barking in both rooms adjacent to ours! Coupled with this, the fire exit was propped open with a brick, letting the freezing cold January weather in right next to our room. A member of staff was wandering nearby, so we mentioned the door and he closed it and said that someone must have taken their dog for a walk and left it open (as if it was just ‘one of those things’). We asked about the barking dogs and were met with the same nonchalant response and said that they’d ‘calm down in a bit.’

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind animals, but my Mum and I were intending on having a relaxing break, not sleeping in kennels! We subsequently rang reception, who said that there were only 2 rooms left in the hotel, which were single rooms and would we like to take ‘one’ of those as the bed was ‘more like a small double.’ We said that we’d view the room. A member of staff showed us to the room and was rude when my Mum asked if they were the only ones left in what was a large hotel with not many people in.

We were given the options of driving to the other side of Burnley to their other hotel at 10pm at night, taking the ‘kennel’ room or taking the single room for a £10 reduction, which was quite frankly a downright insult! They repeatedly said that the dogs would ‘calm down soon’ and their attitude was appalling. If it was earlier in the evening and not so cold and freezing outside, or if we even knew the area better we would definitely have left there and then.

My Mum asked to speak to the manager, who was equally as rude on the phone. We asked for the name and address of someone to file a formal complaint to, which he refused to disclose, saying that he would ‘send a form by email.’ Needless to say he didn’t.

The only positive thing I can say is that the breakfast and dining staff were much nicer. The ‘spa’ facilities weren’t too bad, though definitely not 4* and the changing room reeked of sweat and damp.

I can’t emphasise enough what appalling attitudes the reception staff had, expecting us to put up with barking dogs or share a single bed. It’s just so appalling and honestly my Mum and I are really not that fussy and have never written a bad review before. Please don’t stay there, this should NOT be allowed to happen!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Sarah843

The hotel is of a unique layout due to the hotel being a building from the 18th century which has achieved heritage status, as such to get to our bedrooms stairs are required however this by no means into a basement and simply a logistics of the layout.

The hotel is a pet friendly hotel and small dogs are welcomed, i am sorry that this is not to your satisfaction. Should pets be of a noisy nature we have policies in place to rectify this which was carried out on the evening in question, i can only apologise that you feel that this was mot the case.

Once again, thank you for your comments.
Sawbridgeworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Good location for Burnley & surrounding areas and has leisure centre, although I didn't use it. I agree with Catherine1966, the stairs are ridiculous and there are no lifts. I believe I went up & down 8 sets of stairs to my room and ended up on ground level, same as I had started, although in different part of hotel. This really needs sorting. I wouldn't stay again because of this.
Food was very good, but room was dingy with poor lighting. Receptionist was surly & miserable too.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

The hotel does have a number of stairs which is in keeping with the 18th century building and I am sorry to hear that this would deter you from a future visit. Any of our team members would be happy to assist you to your bedroom to help should you wish to visit the hotel once again.
Burnley, Lancashire
Reviewed January 21, 2012

We held my daughters wedding there over Christmas 11 and must say it went without a hitch and I can certainly recommend them.

The whole process went very smooth and on the day every ran like clockwork. The food was excellent, it was hot an very well served. The staff were all very helpful.

The only downside is the price of the drinks which really is a rip off but on balance if you are looking for a venue you won't go far wrong.

We got some fab photos as, the stair case with its stained glass window is stunning.

Thank you oaks for making it a memorable and great day.

Room Tip: As mother of the bride we got upgraded free of charge and our room was lovely. The bridal suite is...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Thank julie.sumner
Thank you for your comments following your daughters wedding here at The Oaks Hotel and Leisure Club.

We are pleased that we were able to part of making your daughters wedding day so special and look forward to seeing you all in the future.
Looe, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2011

The hotel is very handy for Blackburn and Burnley which offers nice leisure facilities but the hotel is looking tired in places. The staff are friendly and helpful, the restaurant and breakfast were good. you have to be fit to stay here as we had to walk up and down about 7 staircases to reach our room...... not joking! Not advisable for disabled or the elderly.

Great for business and short breaks..... easy reach of good walking on Pendle Hill and Dales

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Catherine1966
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnley
Best Western Higher Trapp Country House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kelbrook
Travelodge Burnley
Travelodge Burnley
#6 of 7 in Burnley

Been to Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!