All reviews leisure facilities steam room stained glass mobility issues listed building short cut old building stair case afternoon tea lovely hotel enjoyable stay from start to finish biscuits reception staff evening meal four poster bed staff were excellent
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Impressive building, beautiful 25ft stained glass window in the original entrance. Dinner was excellent and staff extremely helpful. It is undergoing some renovations as the bedrooms are a little dated. This is definitely not a place for the disabled. Three floors to climb which is rather confusing as it's up and down........
Breakfast was obviously cooked all at once and kept warm. Such a pity since dinner was excellent. At the very least serve fresh eggs!

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Twinklepaisley
OaksHotel, General Manager at Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2011

Thank you for your comments.

I am pleased you enjoyed your meal and the servce received by the team members. I have aready looked into the issues you have raised regarding the breakfast and we shall work to improve this.
The hotel is undergoing refurbishment as stated and this shall be ongoing to improve the hotels appearance.

We look forward to you visiting the hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed November 6, 2011

Me and my wife stayed at the Oaks Hotel a couple of weeks back whilst visiting family in the area. When arriving at the hotel we were approached by a lovely young receptionist who offered to help us with our luggage due to how much we had brought with us.The same young lady checked us in to the hotel and talk about service with a SMILE! she offered to upgrade us up to bed and breakfast at a good price as we had booked on room only. (which I thought was conciderate - but probably just procedure.) She kindly asked one of the bar staff to assist us with our baggage which was a huge help. The food was overall average, however my wife enjoyed what she had, which was the Cajun Chicken and said she would reccommend. The room was lovely, although a bit dated - nothing to moan about. The head bar man was very attentive and you could tell he was keen to do his job well. The next morning, the same young lady checked us out and to say she was working late the night before you couldnt fault her attitude and politeness for 7.30am! Unfortunately we did not see/use any the leisure facilites due to time, however would love to use them next time we stay. Overall, myself and my wife had a great stay at the Oaks and wouldnt hesitate booking to stay again. Just a big thankyou to the staff who made the stay even better for us.

Room Tip: try and upgrade to a suite or executive room, they are newly refurbished.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at The Oaks Hotel particularly those regarding the team members, I shall pass on your kind words to those concerned.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and do look forward to welcoming you back once again in the future,

Reviewed November 1, 2011

I stayed at The Oaks Hotel for the weekend with my partner and can only give a positive review of the place. The staff were excellent with every attention to detail cared for. Upon arrival we were greeted by a very polite receptionist who quickly sorted our booking whereupon our bags were taken to our room for us! We were particularly impressed with the service in the restaurant. Our waiter, Simon, was friendly and attentive and ensured our night in the restaurant was amazing. It was a pleasant surprise to have him serve us later in the bar and he really made our evening.

I would recommend anyone to stay here as the service is incredible!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Roger M

Thank you for your comments regarding the service your received whilst staying at The Oaks Hotel, it is always pleasing to hear.

We strive for customer satisfaction and are pleased that our team members enabled this, your comments will be passed on to all concerned.

We do hope to see you again soon at The Oaks Hotel

Reviewed October 22, 2011

The help, commitment, attention to detail, professionalism, enthusiasm and sheer
unflappability of Nicola and the whole team at The Oaks made our daughter and son-in-law's wedding day a huge success. We thoroughly enjoyed
ourselves from the moment we arrived on the Friday through to the minute
we left on the Sunday. The team's hard work made it possible for us to relax
content in the knowledge that they were working extremely hard to ensure
that everything ran smoothly.

The pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam rooms guaranteed that we were all completely relaxed before the 'big day'. The bedrooms were beautifully furnished, large and extremely comfy. The food was lovely and the bar staff friendly and helpful.

With grateful thanks for an unforgettable weekend.

Room Tip: The executive room was lovely
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Angela_N_11572

Thank you for your comments regarding your daughters wedding.

We are pleased that we could make it such an enjoyable weekend for you all and were pleased to be part of your daughter and son in laws special day.

We look forward to seeing you all again soon.

Reviewed October 16, 2011

First impressions count! I had booked a twin room 'near to Reception' - both parts of my requirements having been acknowledged by hotel management. Even with COPD to contend with I managed to tramp up and downstairs, seemingly forever until I reached my room - a DOUBLE! As I was travelling with my cousin and not boyfriend (we're both married anyway) this was clearly unacceptable. The journey back to Reception was equally stressful. Reception staff were sympathetic and suggested I have a drink (no offer of a free one, then?) while they sorted it out. Eventually we were allocated a double room each and the Receptionist said that 'we won't charge for the second room" - just you try, bonny lass.
My room was generally clean and adequately furnished but the toilet bowl was a disgrace with bad staining due to poor housekeeping perhaps.
Unfortunately there were two separate functions in the evening which made getting an early evening drink somewhat of a Marathon but soon both parties went to their separate areas and the bar became calmer and restful. Both parties were very well behaved and made little noise at their separate functions.
Breakfast did not arrive until 20 minutes after the appointed time. It was not hot and the plates had not been warmed. This resulted in a slightly warm breakfast quickly turning into a rather cold one. A little forward planning could have avoided this rather sad start to my day.
Overall then, the hotel was reasonable value for money but lack of attention to detail on behalf of different parts of management caused unacceptable problems that the friendly and attentive staff could do little to solve.

Room Tip: Make absolutely sure that Management know what you require - then check again that your requirements will be met!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at The Oaks Hotel.

I am sorry that you were dissatified by some elements of your stay.

The building is of heritage status and therefore we do try hard to keep the hotel with in its original form and the layout of the hotel is within keeping of this.

I have looked into the issues you rasied and the necessary departments have taken the action required to improve upon these errors.

We do pride ourselves on our customer satisfaction and do hope you give us the opportunity to show you this once again.