All reviewsleisure facilitiessteam roomstained glassmobility issueslisted buildingshort cutold buildingstair caseafternoon tealovely hotelbeautiful buildingfrom start to finishwedding receptionenjoyable stayreception stafffour poster bedevening meal
Reviewed October 22, 2011

The help, commitment, attention to detail, professionalism, enthusiasm and sheer
unflappability of Nicola and the whole team at The Oaks made our daughter and son-in-law's wedding day a huge success. We thoroughly enjoyed
ourselves from the moment we arrived on the Friday through to the minute
we left on the Sunday. The team's hard work made it possible for us to relax
content in the knowledge that they were working extremely hard to ensure
that everything ran smoothly.

The pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam rooms guaranteed that we were all completely relaxed before the 'big day'. The bedrooms were beautifully furnished, large and extremely comfy. The food was lovely and the bar staff friendly and helpful.

With grateful thanks for an unforgettable weekend.

Room Tip: The executive room was lovely
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Angela_N_11572
OaksHotel, General Manager at Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2011

Thank you for your comments regarding your daughters wedding.

We are pleased that we could make it such an enjoyable weekend for you all and were pleased to be part of your daughter and son in laws special day.

We look forward to seeing you all again soon.

Reviewed October 16, 2011

First impressions count! I had booked a twin room 'near to Reception' - both parts of my requirements having been acknowledged by hotel management. Even with COPD to contend with I managed to tramp up and downstairs, seemingly forever until I reached my room - a DOUBLE! As I was travelling with my cousin and not boyfriend (we're both married anyway) this was clearly unacceptable. The journey back to Reception was equally stressful. Reception staff were sympathetic and suggested I have a drink (no offer of a free one, then?) while they sorted it out. Eventually we were allocated a double room each and the Receptionist said that 'we won't charge for the second room" - just you try, bonny lass.
My room was generally clean and adequately furnished but the toilet bowl was a disgrace with bad staining due to poor housekeeping perhaps.
Unfortunately there were two separate functions in the evening which made getting an early evening drink somewhat of a Marathon but soon both parties went to their separate areas and the bar became calmer and restful. Both parties were very well behaved and made little noise at their separate functions.
Breakfast did not arrive until 20 minutes after the appointed time. It was not hot and the plates had not been warmed. This resulted in a slightly warm breakfast quickly turning into a rather cold one. A little forward planning could have avoided this rather sad start to my day.
Overall then, the hotel was reasonable value for money but lack of attention to detail on behalf of different parts of management caused unacceptable problems that the friendly and attentive staff could do little to solve.

Room Tip: Make absolutely sure that Management know what you require - then check again that your requirements will be met!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at The Oaks Hotel.

I am sorry that you were dissatified by some elements of your stay.

The building is of heritage status and therefore we do try hard to keep the hotel with in its original form and the layout of the hotel is within keeping of this.

I have looked into the issues you rasied and the necessary departments have taken the action required to improve upon these errors.

We do pride ourselves on our customer satisfaction and do hope you give us the opportunity to show you this once again.

Reviewed September 18, 2011

We have stayed within the Burnely area a number of times visiting friends and this time selected to stay at the Oaks hotel. I will deffinately be returning!!!! The rooms were clean and comfortable, the food fantastic overall great value for money. The staff were helpful from arrival to check out with a special mention to be made about the manager Dan. Nothing was too much trouble for him making us feel welcome throughout our stay. A big thank you to him!! We will deffinately be back next time we are visting friends.

Highly recommend the Oaks best hotel and staff in the area!!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 8, 2011

I've stayed in Burnley a few times as I have family there and the Oaks is probably the best "non-budget" hotel in the area, especially for the price which was £78 per night for an executive room which included a generous breakfast (albeit the milk was off one morning and had to be replaced) and use of the leisure facilities which unfortunately we didn't have time to use.

The room was spacious and comfortable with a nice view and a good size flat screen TV plus an iPod docking station built into the wall. The first night was a bit noisy until around midnight due to a wedding disco taking place below us, but it was bearable.

We had dinner at the hotel on the first evening and despite being told at reception that they were "very busy and that we should book" it turned out that we were the only people in the restaurant so there was a distinct lack of atmosphere! Our waiter was clearly new to the role and whilst keen, needs some training as he didn't follow restaurant etiquette when it came to serving the wine as he didn't offer us the opportunity to taste it first and needed prompting to pour it!

That said the food was good and the price very reasonable.

Will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2011

We have just returned from a weekend at The Oaks where my daughter and now son in law got married. From the moment we arrived the day before the wedding the staff were amazing, nothing was too much trouble for them. The rooms were beautiful, clean and comfortable and the food was fantastic from the day before the wedding with a potatoe pie supper, breakfast on the morning of the wedding and on sunday, the wedding breakfast and also the evening buffet. The bar and reception staff were all lovely and when my daughter came down the magnificent staircase with her dad the staff were lined up en-route to the ceremony. If you are thinking of getting married we would truely recommend The Oaks for all the special touches. Thank you all , Diane Moss.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family