“First Impressions Count”

Ranked #8 of 187 Restaurants in Burnley
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Our food is fresh & sourced locally to embrace the flavours of the region. We are Taste Lancashire Highest Quality Assured & members of Made in Lancashire. We offer an extensive wine & also cask ales for which we achieved The Cask Marque Award. Upstairs we have a separate function room for private dining or business occasion. You can always be guaranteed a warm welcome & friendly service.
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Stopped off for lunch with my Partner as nearby Fence Gate being re-furbished. Never been here before. The welcome we received was similar to some other people's - an older women who looked at us as if we had walked in with dog muck on our shoes. The place looked very nice though and we sat in a table by the window. I had the steak & ale pie which was excellent and my partner had burger which lacked taste and came on a bun smothered with a butter like substance. The homemade chips were thin and certainly didn't look homemade. The young waitress and Manager were more friendly and provided good service. The selection of local beers and wines was first class. We would have like to have sampled the deserts but were not convinced that they would have been enjoyable. We were also getting a few stares from the locals so we finished and left without receiving a goodbye or thank you for our custom. I doubt that we will return.

1  Thank Roger H

Reviewed March 17, 2014

Never had a bad experience at The Sparrowhawk, and our last visit was no different. Very friendly and welcoming, excellent food and drink and the staff are attentive and helpful.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

We went to the Sparrowhawk for lunch on the spur of the moment. It's been a while since we've been and we wondered if it had continued to improve since our last visit. We were pleasantly surprised to see lots of people eating and in fact probably got the only table available at the time as we hadn't booked.

There had been a power cut earlier which had blown some of the bulbs so it was a bit darker than normal, no matter. I ordered the beef roast and my husband asked if they could do a roast dinner with chicken, the waitress didn't hesitate 'no problem'. She did say it would take a little bit longer as they'd need to cook the kitchen from scratch. It did take a while but was worth the wait as it was delicious!! We also had a pudding which was also delicious and beautifully presented. All for £12.50 each for the two courses - fantastic value for money for really great food.

Couple of things I'd suggest (one that I did mention to the waitress) to provide a spoon with the roast dinners as the gravy is too good to leave. I slurped if off my knife, I know it's not the Sunday etiquette but quite honestly I didn't care. The gravy was as good as my mum makes so not to be wasted.

Hopefully the management is reading this as we would suggest that you look at the lighting at the back part of the pub - the shades have seen better days and it could do with another level of lighting to create a bit more atmosphere. Oh and my hubby said the downstairs loo needed a bit of attention as it wasn't that clean.

Other than that we will definitely be back.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

Visited with my family recently on a Saturday evening and we ordered a wide range of food and drink between us all. Absolutely fantastic food and service throughout the evening - the steak was cooked to absolute perfection. It was such a massive improvement from the mediocrity of the past few years (we live locally) and I'm pleased to say it was one of the best meals we've had for a long time. Needless to say we will be returning very soon! Great evening - Highly recommended.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Good food, weekly specials, sandwiches at lunchtime very good.
Friendly staff. Nice beer garden.
We usually book as we like to take the dog, they are allowed in the bar area.