“Can't argue. Good value for money.”

Holiday Inn Express Burnley
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Burnley
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Can't argue. Good value for money.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

At £49/room/night one can't argue with the fact that this hotel is a bargain place to stay. OK Burnley is not the centre of the known universe but if you have to visit then this HIE is fine.

Location
Near to M65 and thus easy to find and not off the beaten track. No nearby pub so that could be an issue for some.

Cleanliness
Really clean throughout.

Bar/restaurant
Basic bar and food looked OK. I rarely eat at any hotel I stay at but others were dining so must be OK.

Rooms
Clean, comfy bed, quiet, air-con, coffee and tea, decent shower room (no bath). At this price the rooms are very acceptable.

Breakfast
A little basic but to even have any food at £49 is amazing let alone the available cooked breakfast and lighter choices!

Staff and service
Friendly and courteous. Perhaps a little understaffed and most that I spoke to were working 13 hour shifts.

If in Burnley then stay here.

• Stayed January 2013
Kerian B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Burnley, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay I am pleased you liked the hotel and I do hope we will see you again in Burnley again soon
Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

We use this hotel when visiting family in the area.

It is on the M65 so easily accessible to many sights and places. This hotel is excellent value for money and the service is always very good and efficient. The breakfast is very good. The rooms are clean and good but a little small. If your short of anything they always assist.

Check in and other services are faultless.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking the motorway.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Kerian B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Burnley, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Thank you for posting a review it is much appreciated and we hope to welcome you back to Burnley again very shortly
Darlington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

We normally stay at the travel lodge when we are in this area, but thought we would treat ourselves to the luxury of a holiday inn. :)
Reception was efficient and check in was fault free. Breakfast was limited but satisfactory. However during the night we were woken by two noises. The first was in the room and was caused by light fitting, the second was a repetitive fall alarm ( the type in bathrooms) that woke us at 3.30 and went on for nearly an hour. Reception dealt with this as quickly as they could, but it still broke our sleep. Overall we were happy with the stay, but only because the staff dealt with issues so well.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank wayneghall
Chorley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

I have recently stayed at the holiday inn and was very impressed by the cleanliness and modern look. A credit to the staff as they were all welcoming, friendly and keen to assist. The room was clean and with a comfortable bed. I dined in the restaurant in the evening and "wow" the menu had a good choice of appetising meals, a lot different to other Holiday Inns which I have visited. The food was served quickly, hot and was very very enjoyable. The breakfast in the morning was also very good with a wide variety of fresh produce to choose from. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here on business for one night. When the outside temperature was 4°c. So any sensible person will try to turn the room heating on. 25° and cold air still pumping out. 28° no change... long story short...

When I call reception, apparently on check-in I should have been told that setting a temperature above 23° won't work!

It seems the heating only works between 21° and 23°.

Simple answer, checkout, and move hotels.

I have never paid money to be so cold!

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Qyattrotech
Kerian B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Burnley, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
I am really sorry that you experienced a problem with the heating and without hearing the long version I am not sure wher the confusion lies. The heating units are dual dispensing heat and cold air. There are instructions in every room and it should work by setting the temperature and pressing the green button. The system does only work when the room key card is fitted into the lighting panel and there is an optimum heat setting. I am not aware of any problem with the heating system but it is possible it tripped as all of the heaters have their own address on the system. If you would like to contact me I would be happy to look into this further.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

We arrived at the Holiday Inn Express Burnley after a long day with high hopes after good experiences at other Holiday Inns. We waited at the Reception desk for over 10 minutes with cases in hand while the single member of staff served at the adjacent bar, occasionally looking across at us then going back to bar tendering.

When we finally got to our room we were initially impressed and our children were quickly put to bed and sleeping. Then we tried our bed and realised immediately that it was quite simply unusable for two with a broken base that resulted in us both rolling into the middle so severely that neither of us could have possibly slept in it. Ultimately I managed 4 hours sleep under a towel on the floor while my wife slept in the bed.

The next morning I checked under the bed and it was clear that it had been 'repaired' previously as the centre section was fixed in place lower down than it should have been. I needed a shower to try and perk me up a bit after such a poor night. Guess what? No shower gel in the wall dispenser and literally 1 dose in the soap dispenser. And that was it for a family of four.

Then down to breakfast where we waited for far longer than necessary for a table we had to clear ourselves after the previous guests before enjoying powdered scrambled eggs and some admittedly slightly nicer sausages.

We then submitted a complaint with our contact details before leaving. Now it's over a month later and we have received no reply.

This hotel is conveniently located and clean. If you want good service, a good night's sleep or a good breakfast I'd give it a miss.

• Stayed October 2012
I am really very sorry to hear of your experience whilst visiting the hotel. I have not seen any correspondance relating to your stay. If you would like to forward your contact details I would be happy to respond

Alphen aan den Rijn
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

The hotel is about 5 years old and they were renewing all the interior of all the rooms. I had been staying in upgraded room and for the last night I had to pay for the upgrade so I went to the downgraded room which had a different interrior but for the rest no differences. They claimed the beds were better. This is depending on the fact if you like hard beds (which were in the new rooms) The breakfast is average nothing special.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnley
Premier Inn Burnley Hotel
Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
Old Stone Trough Hotel
Old Stone Trough Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kelbrook

Been to Holiday Inn Express Burnley? Share your experiences!