“Perfect for a stopover”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Burnley
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Perfect for a stopover”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Travelling to Northumberland, we decided to choose somewhere in the vicinity of Burnley for a simple stopover and the HiEx fit the bill perfectly. Check in was friendly, quick and efficient (even though the first key card issued didn't want to play ball!) and a request for an additional blanket for the bed was fulfilled quickly without fuss. The room had air conditioning which can be set to heat as well.

We eat in the hotel and the food was tasty and served quickly, although since there were only half a dozen of us in the bar area I can't comment on how a busy day may go!

Breakfast was filling, although I agree with the comments about adding bacon to the choices but everything else was good.

Would certainly use this hotel again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Kerian B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Burnley, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for posting a review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again soon.
Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised to find this top quality hotel in my home town of Burnley. It's very modern and bright with a nice bar and reception area.
The rooms are a good size and the decor very smart.
Our room backed onto the motorway so I expected it being very noisy but the double glazing works well.
Breakfast was buffet style so as much as you wanted to eat. The food was good with a wide choice. The only negatives were the tables were never cleaned and you had to wait for some of the food as they only put a small amount out at a time. To be fair though the hotel was fully occupied as it was the weekend so very busy.
We booked well in advance so got a good deal. I would not pay the £149 they were asking if you didnt have a reservation though!

Room Tip: The motorway noise didnt bother me but maybe the rooms facing the car park would be quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for posting a review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again very soon.
Bluntisham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Stayed here with the family (mum , dad and 2 x children) to see the sights of the the south Yorkshire country side including Skipton. Easy access to motorway M65 and M6. Friendly staff great lounge area magnificent breakfast. Bedrooms clean and comfortable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post a review . The hotel is a great place to use as a base for the local attractions but it is worth visiting us again should you wish to visit Blackpool of the Lake District as both are only 40 minutes travel time.

I hope we can welcome you back for your next short break.

northampton
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Last stayed for a lesuire visit in July. This time was (unfortunately) on business.

Check in very friendly and efficient.

Didn't eat in the restaurant but the bar area is very nice and the breakfast was usual HIE selection but all good. very busy in bar area in the evening (football on) so nowhere to sit but sat at the bar so no problem.

Also offered free wifi but service was very intermittent on the evening in question, I guess this was a technical hitch as I heard others mention it as well.

Had a take away delivered from local pizza company and was very good.

Will definitely stay again when need to be in Blackburn etc.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Kerian B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Burnley, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you for coming back and glad to hear we will see you again when you are next in the area.
It would be nice if you would try the new menu on your next trip. Please let me know when you are next visiting the area and I will arrange an introductory discount for the restuarant to be available on arrival.
Have a great weekend and we will look forward to seeing you again soon
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We checked in enroute to Preston. We were on priority points as we stay a lot at Holiday Inn so we know what to expect and are generally aren't disappointed.

However this hotel was a total nightmare. When we first checked in, we noticed a strong smell of something similar to TCP. The windows had been left open, probably to combat this. We thought we would leave it and hoped it would have died down by the time we returned from dinner. Unfortunately it hadn't. WE complained and asked to change rooms as the smell really was overpowering. No rooms available. If we had known the area we would have checked out there and then. The duty manager also noted the smell when he came up to bring us extra pillows. I had a terrible headache on retiring due to the smell. The next day and during several email exchanges the staff totally denied there was a problem and basically made us out to be liars, even though it was obvious someone knew of the problem and indeed the duty manager noted it!

WE also had issues with a clown from reception bringing us pillows twice at 11pm. Despite being sent away once as we had already received them, he came back 15mins later claiming we had phoned down.

Breakfast was disorganised and stock was low. I had the scrambled eggs which I regretted bitterly as they repeated on me all day and by mid afternoon I had terrible stomach cramps and diarrhoea.

In all a total disaster and the customer service was appalling. We finally got our points refunded after a battle.

Certainly wouldn't stay there again

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chezwylde
Kerian B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Burnley, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for your review and I am really sorry you did not enjoy your stay. I know I have responded to the points you have raised however I am really sorry that you still seem agrieved despite the steps we have taken to address your issues. I can only reiterate that we are really sorry that we just can not identify the smell you describe .

Breakfast is the Holiday Inn brand standard which is under review and may well change very shortly.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed here on business for 2 nights. The hotel was quite new, quiet, comfortable, clean, and cozy. Although it was far from anything, there was a restaurant/bar at the lobby and a vending machine which was amply supplied. The breakfast was quite satisfying but no variety so you basically eat the same thing everyday of your stay (at least that was how it was for the 2 days I was there). The bathroom was large and nice and the hotel pretty much provided the basic necessities including in room coffee/tea. I will definitely stay here again when I go back to Burnley.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back very shortly
london
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Do not stay in room 101. We were eventually allocated this room after a carfuffle at reception, which involved lots of disappearing into other rooms to ask questions and then return and stare at the computer not saying a word. The receptionist was reasonably pleasant unlike the "manager" we had to deal with when we checked out. Our room was clean and a reasonable size, but they were very mean with the teas maid stuff; 2 teabags, 2 tubes of sugar etc. The loo roll was 3/4 used and there was hardly any soap in the dispenser.

In the evening the staff kindly turned the TV in the bar onto the Arsenal match for my husband , and we had a couple of outrageously priced drinks. Then we were going to retire and we ordered a chinese from New Taste in Padiham (highly recommend, excellent value and superb taste and they deliver), so all was good.

As we tried to go to sleep, we were disturbed by people smoking in the bicycle cover directly under our room. Their conversation carried straight into our room (windows shut) and you could hear them kick (not aggressively) the shelter. Since the people changed every 5 minutes or so it seemed pointless to say anything and also it wasn't constant.

At 4.30 am I was woken by the sound of glass being "poured" into something. This continued for about 30 seconds but enough that now I was wide awake. I thought there was a rubbish collection. At about 6.00 am just as I was dozing off I heard the glass being moved, and lots of banging around under me. Then at 7.00 am I was woken by a lorry making its delivery, with its reversing noise driving me mad. All this is directly under our room.

Breakfast was ok. Its all very limited. The fresh fruit was sad and old looking and I tasted the scrambled egg which was revolting, and it looked no better. The sausages looked gross, but were ok. The toaster doesn't cook evenly either.

When we came to check out, I mentioned the fact that I thought I should get a partial refund as I hadn't slept half the night. The receptionist (man) told me that the bottle bank had been knocked over (I know , I heard it). All he could do was apologise. He then got the "manager" who told me that I should have phoned reception at 4.30 am and as the hotel wasn't full, they would have been able to move us!!! There would be no refund as I hadn't allowed the hotel the chance to rectify the situation. Talking to her was talking to a brick wall- all she could do was apologise, which she did extremely badly, and she was so ill trained that when I told her that she could do more than that, she told me that I was rude. She was so rude herself that she didn't seem to realise that its rude to tell people you think they are rude!!!!!!!!

If you are desperate stay there, but other reviews have pointed out the staff's attitude which is shocking, and I wish I had checked tripadvisor first.

Room Tip: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE EXCEPT ROOM 101. The higher the number the further away you get from the del...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Flaki2
Kerian B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Burnley, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you for your review and I am really very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. I understand the Duty manager did try to explain and address some of the points you raised at the time.

The hotel is quite new and whilst we do welcome dogs we do limit this to one dog per room . An exception had been made in your case however as a compromise and to minimise any disruption to other guests the room was allocated at the end of the corridoor. I am sorry that the noise disturbed you and this was certainly an accident as the bottle bin must have blown over as no member of staff works in that area so early and we do not receive deliveries before 8am.

The breakfast in a continental choice supported by three hot items, you will see from other reviews this is currently under review and we do expect this to change shortly. Since your visit further items have already been introduced.

I am sorry and I would like to assure you that the manager did not mean to cause you any inconvenience or be rude, in fact they was very upset that your issue could not be resolved before you left although I do understand the exchange was heated. If I can be of further assistance please do not hesitate in contacting me and I hop that your experience does not deter you from staying with us again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnley
Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club
Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
Old Stone Trough Hotel
Old Stone Trough Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kelbrook

Been to Holiday Inn Express Burnley? Share your experiences!