“Badly in need of major renovation”

Last Drop Village Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bromley Cross
Manchester
“Badly in need of major renovation”
Reviewed July 13, 2008

I have been a visitor to the Last Drop Village for many years. My Wedding Reception was held there over 20 years ago and I have enjoyed my return trips. Typically they centre around a nice meal or just a wander around the village shops.

I was recently invited to a Wedding beig held in the Last Drop and decided my wife and I should stay for the two nights prior to and following the wedding.

I booked several weeks ago via laterooms.com - received a favourable room rate and was looking forward to a few nights away.

Sadly this last experience was very disappointing.

The whole complex is now looking very old, in need of a total facelift and several million pounds spent on it. The shops are still very nice to visit, the restaurant is still pleasant, but very over priced and the rooms are very shabby now.

On arrival at around 6pm on the first night I was told the only room they had available was a smoking one - although I had booked many weeks in advance and had requested a non smoking room.

It was within the small court yard area beyond the restaurant. It was right next to the cleaners store room. It wasn't too far away from the 'Drop Inn', which on a Friday now has 'loud' music blasting from the doorway ...

I had complained about the fact I couldn't have a non-smoking room .. not much they could do I was told - nothing else available - I could be moved to a nearby hotel?

The Friday night meal was very nice, but very expensive - didn't bother with the breakfasts.

The event in the Pennine suite was fabulous.

On checking out on the Sunday morning I was offered a 40 pound reduction on my bill.

Sadly, it seems since the Accor group took over the Last Drop from the MacDonald Hotels group the standards have dropped.

I will visit again if only for the village shops and maybe the odd snack in the Tea Rooms, but I don't think I will be staying overnight there again for the foreeseable future

Very sad ...

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank l1am

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
sheffield
Reviewed July 13, 2008

We've just got back from a night at this hotel and I have to say I was a little apprehensive about going after reading some of the bad reviews on this site. All I can say is that they must have stayed at a different hotel to the one we stayed at because we had a great time. We'd booked a 2 for the price of 1 through our local paper and paid £109.95 for the night. For this we got a lovely large room with a spotless bathroom and a really comfortable bed, a 3 course dinner with an excellent choice of dishes and a great breakfast. Add to this the use of the leisure facilities - a good sized proper swimming pool ( not some of the odd shaped things you sometimes find in hotels) a "hot tub" that had an open front looking out over the countryside and saunas and a steamroom not to mention the gym. They had at least two weddings on when we arrived but we were dealt with straight away by a very pleasant young lady on reception. O K so were were 20 minutes late being given our table in the restaurant - they were very busy with a couple of large tables- but we had a lovely comfy sofa in the bar and an excellent glass of wine so that was hardly a real problem !!!! The food was excellent as was the breakfast next morning. I can only speak for our experience but we would definitely go back to this hotel.

• Liked — facilities
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank artisanSheffield
Devon, UK
Reviewed July 8, 2008

I recently stayed at the Mercure Last Drop Village Hotel and Spa as I was attending a conference there. I managed to find a good deal on the Mercure website - £59 for bed and breakfast. However, had I paid anymore than this, I'd have been very disappointed. Basically, the accommodation is barely better than an overpriced Travelodge.

The hotel itself is in desparate need of refurbishment. My room - located in an outside courtyard - was very tired looking. Fixtures and fittings were bordering on shabby and the bed itself was dressed with a very worn bedspread and sheets and blankets. I was surprised by the lack of a duvet. The blankets weren't even nice - horrible brown and looked like they hadn't been washed for years. The room was very cold - even in July. I'd hate to stay there in winter.

As a woman staying alone, I was slightly concerned to be located outside in a ground-floor room. The hotel seemed quiet and I didn't appear to have neighbours. It was quite eery being there alone. Many hotels now have a policy to ensure alone females are offered rooms on a first floor or above and in a "secure" area where other guests are nearby. Mercure could do well to follow this lead.

The catering facilities were rubbish. The restaurant was very pricey (over £16 for a main meal) and quite formal. As I didn't want to "dress for dinner" (or pay such high charges) I set out to the "Grill" pub in the grounds. I was surprised to be told that they don't do food in the evenings. This was in July (I presume high-season?). Breakfast too was mediocre. Although included in my room rate, a fellow guest commented that they'd paid over £12!! It really wasn't worth £5 let alone £12. The food wasn't fresh and choice wasn't great. Service was slow.

The hotel staff looked miserable and fed-up and were somewhat unhelpful. Personal appearance was noticably poor - many staff were wearing clothes that were so badly fitted that they looked ridiculous and many could do with learning to wash their hair.

The hotel's "saving grace" is the amazing spa facilities which you can use free of charge as a guest. There is an 18m swimming pool and then a "Thermal Spa" area. This consists of a range of steam rooms, saunas, showers, ice fountains etc. There is also a fantastic warm thermal pool that goes outdoors for amazing views of the countryside. I spent a good couple of hours there and thoroughly enjoyed it. The staff in the spa were lovely and towels and lockers are provided for hotel guests so you literally just need your swimming costume. There is shampoo and hairdriers in the changing rooms.

Because of the fabulous spa, I would return again. I would just have to make sure that I get a good rate again to make up for the poor standard of accommodation.

• Liked — Spa
  • Disliked — Shabby, out of date
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank KateinDevon
Somewhere is space & time
Reviewed June 19, 2008

We stayed here in March 2008 for one night.
The grounds are lovely. The hotel basically comprises an 18 / 19th cenury village which is unique ! I have never experienced anything like this before. We both loved it.
Our room was in a courtyard with a pub a short walk amoung the other buildings in the Village.
I think in a nutshell this is a fine quaint place and I found the staff always friendly and helpful. Do you sence a but ?
Here it comes... it desperately needs some internal modernising. Our toilet did not flush when we first used it. A lady promptly attended when we phoned reception and it was explained that the toilet flush did work but it needed to be flushed in a certain way. Unfortunately as it was very late in the day - it was not possible to change to a different room. The room was otherwise ok, but the bathroom did smell a little unpleasant. I felt it really needed a refit and a bit of plumbing.
The food and drink was great and breakfast was fantastic. At the spa I found the saunas just did not seem to get hot - which was dissappointing. The pool extends to an open air portion - with a view of the carpark - what a let down.
I left feeling this place could have been so much more. It is a very beutiful place.

• Liked — The novelty of the hotel actually being a village.
  • Disliked — The toilet.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank THED0CT0R
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2008

6 of us had a girlie getaway for a 40th birthday celebration. On arrival we had our overnight bags wisked away by the concierge, we had 3 rooms on the second floor above reception. Rooms were spacious and beds comfy, bathroom totally acceptable. We booked evening meal in the Drop Inn and the food was excellent, really big portions so I was quite full after the starter but tuna main course was wonderful. We booked treatments in the spa on the saturday morning, what a lovely treat, the relaxation room was exactly what is says, could have stayed there all day if it wasn't for having to check out of the room. The pool and thermal baths were lovely, we spent a few hours there after out treatments. Two weddings were being held at the hotel so it was lovely outfit spotting and ooooing and ahhhhing at the brides and bridemaids. Would say the only negative was the Cocktail bar which didn't sell cocktails or allowed to play music, bit of a disappointment so we all trundled back to a room and put the music channel on the TV, apologies to anyone in any rooms on our corridor (only 5 rooms in total and we had 3) we hope we weren't too disturbing. A lovely break was had by all. PS nice end to the overnight stay, cream teas in the tea rooms, lovely quaint shops and the bakery had a good turnover that day aswell. Well recommend the potato cakes and scones.

• Liked — Facilities
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank LiverpoolLooby
norfolk
Reviewed May 10, 2008

Booked through Norfolk coach company.
Well we haven't got all day!!!
The service of the staff and The So Called Manager was what you would expect from a 1* hotel or basic B&B.
The food was inedible, under cooked, most evenings the food was returned untouched.
Rooms not cleaned until 3pm in the afternoon.
The Breakfast was first come first served. You had to be in at 7am or got nothing.
The Manager approached us at 10pm in the bar area, only to be told by him ' You get what you pay for!'
The TV was reported fault, but was never fixed. The door cards had to be changed on a daily basis as they never worked properly.
This hotel needs a mega overall of the staff and management.
I wouldn't recommend this hotel to any future travellers.

Stayed April 2008
2 Thank mondeokitten

Travelers are raving about these Bromley Cross hotels

Solihull nr Birmingham
Reviewed May 2, 2008

We went to The Last Drop as part of a coach holiday to the north west and were rather disappointed with the hotel. The grounds are OK but the shops around the hotel were fairly uninspiring.
Our room was fine although we had problems getting some channels on the TV and the view of the heating plant were not wonderful.
The real problem was the poor service both at breakfast and dinner. It must be difficult to make a mess of breakfast but they managed it. Waiters didn't do the simple things like take drinks orders and even main course orders in a systematic way. On our last day this meant a thirty minute wait for a piece of tasty but clearly microwaved haddock. Dinner service was haphazard and the food quite ordinary. I got bored with two meals including the same vegetables and opted for a salad one evening - you'd have thought I'd asked for the world. Nonetheless it was a very nice salad when it arrived.
We did have cause for minor complaints when we were there but the magic words of apology were not uttered by the staff, just excuses which had no relevance to me as a guest.
We were disappointed with the north west but that's not the hotel's fault. All the towns seemed to merge into each other with little proper countryside to differentiate them. The Lowry interior was fine but the exterior is really rather grim. Our coach driver was told not to leave the coach unattended in the nearby car park.
We won't be rushing back.

• Liked — The rooms were pleasant.
  • Disliked — Poor service in the dining room and bar.
  • Stayed April 2008
King Street Townhouse
#1 of 116 in Manchester
Premier Inn Bolton (Stadium/Arena) Hotel
Worsley Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Been to Last Drop Village Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!