“Fantastic anniversary present”

Last Drop Village Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bromley Cross
“Fantastic anniversary present”
Reviewed July 25, 2011

My husband and I stayed for our anniversary as a present from my son. The room was lovely (73) and the food in the evening was fantastic. We had spa treatments too which were amazing and very relaxing. Would definately recommend.

• Stayed June 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2011

my partner and I attended a wedding here on Saturday in the penny farthing suite. The day was perfect from start to finish, the staff and management in the wedding were brilliant, nothing was too much trouble, when i asked for my chicken to have no gravy they quickly replaced it with a fresh plate.

We stayed over on the night of the wedding, the rooms are a little dated but people need to look beyond this and look at the overall venue just perfect.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank passwordfqwe
Blackpool
Reviewed July 24, 2011

After reading some of the previous reviews I did wonder how much of it was true and how much was some peoples expectations being too high.
The hotel was lovely and the rooms in the courtyard were lovely, even though we didn't get one of the rooms we actually booked but this was refunded immediately by Reception. The staff in all departments were friendly and polite and the Banqueting Supervisor/ Manager Sarah is a credit to the hotel, nothing was too much trouble. The food was also amazing apart from being brought a soup for my starter and having to use my dessert spoon as I wasn't brought a soup spoon.
All in all a very happy stay and would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: When using a booking website check with the hotel that the correct room type has been loaded onto th...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
h6634_gm, Manager at Last Drop Village Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 25, 2011
On behalf of the Hotel team I would like to thank you for your positive comments, we are truely thrilled that the Wedding day was a fabulous sucess. From start to finish we pride ourselves on giving the best that we can to make the day as special as it should be for the Bride & Groom.
We wish our Happy couple all the best for the future and are pleased that our guests have enjoyed a wonderful weekend.

Kind regards

Food & Beverage
Leeds, UK
Reviewed July 23, 2011

My partner & I had a reservation at this hotel thanks to a Groupon voucher - it is no wonder they are giving them away so cheap.

We turned up for check-in at the listed time of 2pm and our room was not ready until 3.30pm - another 15 guests were in the same boat. We weren't offered any complimentary drinks, nor were we even told where the bar or other facilities were, and the customer service at reception was generally appaling - this from the duty manager. Oh dear.

We spent our 1.5 hours in the bar - which is in serious need of modernisation and also some coffee making facilities!! We eventually got a room key which didn't work (it was coded to room 100 but we'd been switched to 80 in the interim - key not updated). We went back to reception and, after some more awful customer service, eventually got into our room. We should have known what was coming - the room was severely outdated, not up to anywhere near the standards of cleanliness I would expect and also had a very funny smell. Note that room 80 was a suite - so this should have been the best they had to offer!! Imagine the rest!!! I'd say this would be a suite in a 2 star hotel at best.

We'd had enough - I returned the key card and asked them to cancel our reservation and I will be contacting Groupon on Monday to get our money back. What a waste of an afternoon.

Awful customer service, outdated facilities and rooms that are smelly and dirty. I'd suggest you avoid this hotel at all costs - the worst I have ever encountered in the UK without a shadow of a doubt. I'd rate it 0 out of 5 if that was possible on this website but 1 out of 5 will have to do.

Room Tip: Tip - stay in your own bedroom at home.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AmyLeeds
I am sorry to hear about your reservation at our Hotel and sorry to hear that you felt you had to leave. I have written to you personally, and would hope that you woudl return to the Hotel in the future. I would be delighted to handle any enquiry or booking personally.

Kind regards

Sarah balfe-farrell

Travelers are raving about these Bromley Cross hotels

Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2011

I would just like to state that I am a very easy to please person and I have stayed in a multitude of hotels/b&b's over the years and always give fair reviews. I look for a basic quality of customer service and hospitality.

Last night I stayed here for my Sisters wedding. On arrival we were greeted with a hard faced receptionist who rushed us through check in. It's not often that we pay £64 for a hotel room so were expecting something above, say, a Premier Inn level of quality. Our room was dark and unwelcoming. The bins in the bedroom area had not been emptied and were full of personal waste (tissues, food). One of the bedside lamps looked so wonky and broken I was too afraid to switch it on. The tea and coffee facilities had not been restocked. The bed was 2 singles pushed together with a dip in the middle. The bathroom had clear glass windows that overlooked the car park. Although most of it was clean, it was all outdated and the extractor was caked in dust. I had also specifically asked not to be near my sisters honeymoon suite so that they had their privacy, but they had placed myself and my mother either side of it. The walls are paper thin, it was so inappropriate...

We went to the tea shop to get a sandwich (egg mayo on thin white bread). 3 sandwiches with 3 cups of tea cost me just under £20 and even though I was kept waiting whilst the assistant hung out in the kitchen laughing at something with other staff, I didn't get a thank you or a smile as I passed my money over and he absolutely infuriated me. If he was my member of staff I would send him on a training course immediately.

My sisters ceremony started badly as the one man who seemed to be running the whole event hadn't set up the sound system for the CD (which they couldn't find) that she had given him weeks ago. After delaying her ceremony for 15 minutes (leaving her to stand around nervously in reception) she finally got married. The man controlling the music kept messing around with the volume, which ruined the ambience. After they tied the knot he turned it off and disappeared. The registrar's assistant had to go and find him and ask him to play it while they signed the registry... further messing with volume and changing tracks.... it really did destroy the atmosphere. All the radiators were on full and everyone was sweating and saying it was too hot.

After the ceremony we made our own way to the bar where we were given one free drink. Dinner started at 6 and it was the same man from the ceremony, bringing all our food out by himself and serving our drinks. The food was good, but nothing special. My dessert was not particularly nice and was missing the chantilly cream that had been listed on the menu when I picked it out.

The Reception began and this is where I get really angry.
It would have been a lot more enjoyable had the hotel's DJ left his bad attitude at home and taken a shower before he came. When he wasn't stuffing his face at my Sisters buffet, he was god knows elsewhere, leaving his decks on autoplay. I got a few requests played but many guests were complaining that he wouldn't play their songs and kept fobbing them off with lame excuses. He was basically the host for the evening, no other staff were present. The buffet was unappetizing and served by unfriendly youngsters that looked at you like you were a moron if you asked what was in the sandwiches. The bar staff were nice guys, they were the only friendly staff encountered during our stay.

At around midnight the music was just turned off and everyone started leaving. Just as the last few guests went, the moody young staff decided to bring round the £20 bag of rose petals that I had provided for decorating the table centrepieces with and my Sisters £250 wedding cake, chopped up into tiny bits. When I said, "aren't you a bit late in doing this now?!" I got blank faces and no apology. Infuriating. I had to bag up the cake and take it back to my room, because I would rather donate it to the homeless than let any of the Last Drop Village staff get their hands on it.

I had an awful nights sleep, the bed was too small and the dip in the middle was uncomfortable. I was woken at 7am by loud voices and people walking in high heels in what must be staff quarters above my head. I couldn't get back to sleep, so went to have breakfast by myself only to find all my family there, even the bride and groom, all tired after a bad sleep and not happy. The breakfast was acceptable, though there was no indication as to how much it was going to be. I was thinking maybe £7.95 at the very most. I don't think I've ever paid more than that.

I went and checked out my Sisters honeymoon suite. Oh. My. God. The "romantic" decor was perfect if you are a 90 year old woman with dubious levels of hygiene. They were spending their first morning together as a married couple composing a list of complaints with heavy bags under their eyes.

As I checked out the receptionist told me I didn't owe anything, but I had ended up having breakfast and knew I must owe something. So she looked again and said, "oh right.. that's £15 then". I was shocked and told her that I was not going to pay £15 for the tiny amount of breakfast I had eaten. She got on the phone and had an unprofessional sounding conversation with someone ("what did Room 12 eat for breakfast?... "what does that mean?!"...), then told me it was ok I didn't have to pay it. How many guests would have just handed their money over?! I'm so glad I debated it. I waited to see if she asked if we were satisfied with everything but she didn't.
That was pretty much the final nail in the coffin for the Last Drop Village. We could not have driven away faster.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Zoe N
I am sorry to hear about your experiences at our Hotel and I would dearly like for you to get in contact. We like to wish our Brides & Grooms every happiness for the future and will be contacting them when they return from Honeymoon. We pride ourselves on our service and fabulous wedding venue and receive genuinely wonderful feedback. I would like to thank you for bringing these matters to my attention as it is without comments such as yours that we are kept constantly aware of what is on offer to all our guests. Should I be of any further assistance to you please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Prenton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2011

Although 'corporately run' this hotel is far from recognisable as such. As well as a hotel this establishment is at the heart of a 'micro-village' appearing to be from days gone by complete with its own village pub, tea room and an abundance of quirky shops from gift, to florists, jewellers and antiques.
Whilst the reception area is pretty much as with any other hotel once away from it you are going on a journey of discovery.
The directions to our room was go through the door at the back of reception, through the garden, up the steps and you will see your room number. Whilst there are some rooms within the hotel a lot are either lodge style or very quaint cottage style, ours was the latter and it turned out it was actually above the Jewellers shop!
The room itself was as good as most rooms we have stayed in however if you really wanted to find faults you could (tatty curtain tie backs, bath seal grimey, couple of cracked tiles on the bathroom floor) but generally the room was of a high standard.
The bathroom disappointed in many ways for in addition to the bits above the radiator though thankfully on (even though this is meant to be summer!) was belching out heat and no knobs to turn it off. The mark of a great stay in a hotel to me is (daft as it sounds) how good my shower experience is! Last Drop failed miserably on this score. A smallish shower head which delivered a very fine spray with a variable thermostat as much use as a chocolate teapot! Not for the first time in a hotel shower has the water gone from being at 'the right temperature' to (in this instance) Scolding Hot or in past experiences to freezing cold also. At times like this I feel like dragging the General Manager into the shower and asking him how he likes it as he screams with the pain. It really is not good enough in any hotel in this day and age for the water to be so tempremental.

Public areas offer the same level of fantastic quirkyness, low beams split level restaurants and bar, even a piano gallery where I assume a pianist adds ambience to your drinking and dining experience over dinner.

The hotel has a beautiful leisure club and facilities which look extremely new and modern.

The greatest asset this hotel has in addition to its quirky style and build is its Staff. Everyone was most helpful, polite and plenty of humour too, nothing was too much trouble for any of them.

My personal 'acid test' is when I ask myself, would I stay again? I would certainly give the hotel my custom on another occasion however were I to 'suffer' in the shower again as I did on this occasion it would be off my list of places to stay forever.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments, we very much appreciate the positive feedback and are pleased that you enjoyed our village as much as we do. We have a very unique and quirky property and it should be explored and enjoyed and we hope to welcome you back at some time.
We are at the begining of a refresh programme throughout the Hotel and have begun by replacing furnature and re-painting as we go. I will be steering our Maintenance team towards the area you stayed in.
Once again thank you for your comments, we look forward to seeing you soon.

enfield
Reviewed July 21, 2011

We had a great weekend with 'Newmarket Holidays'
Lovely Large room with nice bathroom, Really good 3 course eve meal and great breakfast (huge choice and tastey) Only downside was that our telly wasn't working and no-one turned up to fix it ! infact the receptionist was quite rude when we reported it, and we had asked 'very nicely' ! But all the other staff were nice.
In all this was a great package set in a delightful area, and for a great price, would definately do the same deal again!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
King Street Townhouse
King Street Townhouse
#1 of 118 in Manchester
Travelodge Bolton Central River Street

Been to Last Drop Village Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!