“Wow! Loved this place :-)” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shangri-La - CLOSED

Shangri-La
Cuisines: Asian, Thai, Chinese
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
“Wow! Loved this place :-)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

Thai isn't my favourite, but going here with friends I was willing to give it a try. Will certainly go again - the vegetable tempura was fantastic! My main dish and noodles were also very good. The service was great - very helpful in advising me as to what I might like. Great place! :-)

1 Thank mary h

Herts
“Very good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

I went to this restaurant for my Birthday meal.
It's a smallish restaurant but the ambience is great.
The food that was ordered was wonderful. Mixed starter, pad Thai etc....
There was only 1 waitress & she was very pleasant & friendly, the restaurant was busy & she did her best to keep everyone happy, the service was very good seeing as she was the only waitress serving.
I would definately go back .

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Amazing food and service ...but!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

Really enjoyed our resent visit, excellent food and very good service. My only grumble is that the ceiling clearly needs painting or at least cleaning; seeing the dirty cobwebs hanging around is a little off-putting. Maybe a little investment in the general decor would really raise the bar for this great restaurant.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
United Kingdom
“MSG Overload”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

I am amazed that there are so many 'good reviews' of the food served here! The chicken my wife had, looked like odd shaped lumps from a cash and carry and my beef strips were like leather.
But worse was to come. The sauce both dishes came in looked like a chemical goo, and my tongue is still burnt from the intense MSG (cheap food flavouring). Never again. And I cannot believe so many customers do not realise this. For good Whitstable food try the likes of Wheelers, Krisna, Birdi's, Samphire etc.

• Visited May 2014
Dargate, Kent
“Such a shame”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

We have been using the Shangri-La in Whitstable for a number of years now, sometimes just myself and my wife, other times with groups of friends. Last night I took my wife there for her birthday. Like some of our other friends have said, they are now so busy that there is a serious lack of attention. I remember before when I used to visit, I would be greated traditional Thai greeting of a nice smile and a small bow. Now it is an effort to get them to acknowledge you.
We ordered our meal with drinks. The starters were great, but half way through our main course, my wife found a hair in the Pad Thai noodles. We chose to ignore it, but then a minute or so later my wife found another hair. We pointed this out to the waitress who told us in no uncertain terms that it could not possible be from the kitchen as they all had short hair, and that it must have been one of my wifes! Let me tell you this hair was so deeply embedded in the noodles that we are sure it could not have been (my wife's hair does not fall out!). We asked for the bill, and were suprised to see that the noodle dish was included. We asked the waitres if she would remove it from the bill and were told that she would not. To summise, this is the first negative rating I have left on trip advisor. We have been told by friends that they have had similar experiences with the staff when arranging to order a collection, arriving at the advised time, and then being told that it is not convenient. Such a shame as this restaurant had such charm when it first opened. I guess this is the price of success that now it is difficult to get a table, and the care and attention which used to be amazing has now left. You may as well be eating in a fast food chain, such is the level of service and respect for customers. Perhaps the Thai culture has gone and is being replaced by greed and a couldn't care less attitude. Unfortunately we will not be returning, and if asked will give our opinion to others.Will they care if we don't come back? I doubt it - they are always busy and why should they bother with an individual unhappy customer when there are plenty more other customers out there!!!

• Visited May 2014