“Cosy French Place”

Ranked #5 of 133 Restaurants in Whitstable
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Beautiful French Bistro in the heart of Whitstable, full of character & charm, serving local seafood, an array of french delights & homemade deserts. Child friendly, groups & private parties welcome.
Reviewed March 6, 2013

The leek and marscapone tart was a perfect example, just melting. Beef wellington very good too. Only criticism is that they could do more with the potatoes and veg than just serve up the same thing regardless of what you order.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

My husband ate here on a Monday night, as staying in Whitstable for a long weekend. Thought it would be quiet considering time of year and day of the week, but no it was 80% full.

Very warm and cosy interior, with gas effect open log fire. Decor in style of French bistro. About 6 items per course to choose from. Bread and olives as nibbles first and then we had the beef wellington and the salmon which came with mussels and cooked in a tomato and celery sauce which kept it really moist. The beef was melt in the mouth, a side dish of selected veg - including cabbage, cauliflower and diced pots. I then had crepe suzuette and my husband had cheese and biscuits. A beer and a large glass of wine came to £52.

I love to come to independent restaurants and this one is really worth a visit. It closes on Tues but open the other days.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

always enjoy our meals here feel the STAFF should know MORE about food which is being served last sunday was the chutney home made young girl did not know ? also friends did not want the ratouille with G8 steaks plain vegetables would have been nice we will return its one of our best LOCALS KIM & BERNIE whitstable

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Stumbled upon Birdies on a bitterly cold Feb day. We were sincerely welcomed out of the cold, given a choice of tables which soon all filled around us. Such a relaxed and friendly restaurant, with beautiful food. Highly recommend this restaurant and will certainly be returning on our next trip to Whitstable.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Birdies is, unlike some of Whitstable's other restaurants, unpretentious. The decor is rustic, a mishmash of tables and chairs, red check tablecloths and an open fire - most inviting and very comfortable. The waitress on my first visit was attentive but not obtrusive in fact she was quite charming however she did serve me a g&t without ice and lemon but she was so smiley I forgave her. On my 2nd visit it was a waiter who was equally good.
The menu is limited and I didn't see anything suitable for a vegetarian but that's not to say that the chef couldn't provide something delicious. I ordered mussels to start - delicious, cooked in wine and cream. My partner ate prawns in a spicy sauce which he said he really enjoyed, we also shared some bread and olives. Next we had fish again. He had hake with apricot and ginger, I had salmon in a cream sauce with cucumber. The hake was fabulous and the salmon was good but the cucumber didn't really work in the sauce. We also shared a bottle of house white. All this for around £70 including a tip. Visit number two. We enjoyed the starters so much on our first visit that we chose them again. For mains we both decided to have the hake but this time it was with a delicious caper sauce - it was one of the best dishes I've tasted in a long time. The bill was around £60 including a tip no wine or bread and olives this time.
I just loved Birdies and will be returning soon.