“an orginal, independent fish restaurant”

Wheelers Oyster Bar
Ranked #3 of 136 Restaurants in Whitstable
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: A sea food restaurant overing a vast selection of sea food, from a al la carte menu to take away seafood. We are BYO drinks and we don't charge corkage.
Reviewed April 11, 2013

BOYO! no charge. Great fish menu. interesting ideas. deserts are great. It's like going into someone's back room for a meal.it's tiny, but cosy, professional, vintage. An experience. no more expensive than elsewhere, but an experience...home-cooked in a homecooked environment. An institution in Whitstable....heritage restaurant ehis without the frills, but everything is prepared from scratch.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

We visited Wheelers as part of a night away in Whitstable for my girlfriends birthday. We had both seen the place before on a visit to Whitstable and heard it was good but hadn't tried it. Well, it didn't let us down! We were shown out the back to a cosy table (for a tall bloke like me pretty cramped), the back room is like eating in someone's lounge, so do book in advance as they can only fit a few tables of people in.

I had the rock oysters in Guiness batter followed by the skate wing / pork belly and my girlfriend had the scallops, horseradish fritters and onion soup to start then the halibut steak, cream and gravadlax dumplings for main. We shared a platter of local cheeses for dessert. The food was really very good, and both the waiter and chef were eager that we enjoyed what we were given. The lady that brought us our cheese platter took the trouble to explain what each cheese was.

We ate a couple of nights before at a posh fish restaurant here in Tunbridge Wells and I think Wheelers just edged it - lobster was a lot cheaper by comparison and you know you're eating something caught from the sea less than a mile away.

I hadn't done my research and found they were cash only and BYO alcohol so ended up making an emergency trip to the cashpoint (nextdoor) and the off licence (over the road).

The food prices were a bit on the dear side but because you can sort out your own bottle of wine for a third of the price you'd pay in other restaurants (and they don't charge corkage), you are really getting good value for money. Our two starters, mains and a cheese platter came in at about £65 for the two of us.

1  Thank Jamie P
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Really love this little Oyster Bar, which I have been visiting for over thirty years! Special atmosphere and good menu

Reviewed March 24, 2013

The fact that it's not easy to get a booking is both testament to the popularity of this place and its size. At the front of the shop is a small bar area beautifully arrayed with the seafood on offer, an acceptable version of the visual menu. To the back, well it's a bit like your Granny's parlour (the back one - not the front one which was only used on special occasions) with just four closely set tables serving a maximum of fourteen at any one time. You wouldn't come here for the decor (visit your Granny for that) but for what comes out of the kitchen which is divine seafood, much of it local; you could not eat fresher without getting your feet wet. From the homemade bread which came with a rich garlicky pesto, a massive bowl of luscious mussels in a creamy broth through to mains of lobster (served as a "lasagne") and a brill with mulligatawny sauce every mouthful was delicious. The wonderful ingredients tasted of themselves but the whole was even better than the sum of its parts. The restaurant is BYO and all the better for that as it means I can have a really good bottle of something for the price of a house plonk in most other places (an excellent off licence "The Offy" is directly opposite). My Granny would have loved it.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

This has always been a place iv wanted to visit and sadly i wont be back

First the atmosphere was very unwelcoming .The bar area was warm especial when there is fresh fish displayed on the counter .
The person working was very unfriendly, the food was OK nothing special we didn't even get asked if we wanted a drink. We did not have a lot to eat because of the atmosphere.
It was very sad as I have always had high hopes for this place .I will not be coming back .

7  Thank vanessa C