“Recommended”
Review of The Marine Hotel

The Marine Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Whitstable
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We had an enjoyable and comfortable stay. Large and light superior double room with a sea view. Would have liked to award five stars but there was some initial confusion about room charges when I called to book the room. I was quoted a much higher rate than the prices given on the Hotel's website. I challenged this and the person on the phone said that she 'would have to check with her manager and get back to me.' I waited 24 hours but a return call never came and so I booked online which I had been reluctant to do because this break was a special treat for my partner's 50th birthday and I wanted to go down the 'human' telephone route to ensure that everything would be perfect.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

We stayed for 1 night whilst on a whistle stop tour of Kent.. The hotel was very nice and welcoming and the room, overlooking the sea was fantastic - large, clean and really comfortable. The only (very slight) issue we had was that there was a function in the hotel that night so it wasn't easy to use the bar - but as a result we wandered round the corner to The Tankerton Arms, a really cool micropub.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We booked a three night stay in late Autumn and would recommend The Marine highly. The staff are first class without exception, rooms spacious and clean, parking easy and a well-stocked bar, as one would expect. We'll be back!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed here for one night and overall enjoyed our stay. The room was very comfortable, clean and modern, with a lovely view to the sea. The only downside was that our room was a bit dark, since it had only one small window and the shower didn't have hot water. The area is a bit far from Whitstable town center, but we liked that it was calm and the hotel was located by the sea. The view was very lovely and calming. The restaurant area at the hotel is quite comfortable, although we felt that it could have been even more cosy, actually for some reason the atmopshere was a bit cold. Also, don't expect the food at the pub side to be anything special, I had a steak which was a huge dissapointment. Overall I will give this hotel a good review, because we came there to relax and the atmosphere was truly relaxing and the rooms clean and beautiful.

Room Tip: The rooms at the very top floor are a bit darker than the other rooms
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I booked the most expensive superior double room with sea view online for our 40th wedding anniversary. I emailed the hotel to confirm booking and mentioned our celebration and was told that we had been upgraded to the honeymoon suite. Exciting, but I couldn't find a honeymoon suite on the website. When we arrived and I saw our room - which was the one we had booked - and questioned the receptionist as to what she had meant...she said that it was the honeymoon suite. So we hadn't actually been upgraded - it was just a meaningless and annoying offer.
Arrived a bit early and offered an early check in. Bedroom and bathroom stylish and comfortable. Great view. Not sure what we feel about the decorative items all being screwed down - I suppose it is sadly a necessity. Housekeeping needs a bit of tightening up. One bedside light didn't work, there was no plug for the bath and when husband asked for one, the young man went off to find one but got distracted and forgot - so the bath took a while. Sitting in the bath, you could see mold under the marble rim (where the cleaner couldn't see it). Lovely helpful staff serving supper in evening. Receptionist found a bucket within minutes for me to put my flowers in. Great breakfast with lots of choice.
Hope to return.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LondonMcnamara
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Stayed here Christmas night. Had a phone call to ask us to check in early as they may be short of staff. Checked in about 1pm as we were going to our daughters for Christmas Day. Couldn't have been more quick and friendly check in. We had booked the last room available and was a family room. I wasn't expecting much, but was on par with the other rooms in the hotel. Was big and spacious and decorated to the high standard as other rooms with a sea view. It was clean, warm with lovely fresh white sheets and towels, with a lovely size bathroom. Very quiet. We didn't eat here but came back with family for a drink in the evening. Staff are very friendly and efficient. Breakfast was very good. Calm and with a nice ambience. Totally different to when we came in August. Food was lovely and hot and tea and coffee served in pots. We had 2. Fruit juices replenished. Again friendly and efficient staff. We just wish we had been there for 2 nights. Can't wIt to go there again.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are best.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank angie60Kent
Reviewed December 22, 2013

We stayed for one night at the Marine Hotel in Whitstable and had a lovely experience. The room was exceptionally good, the bed comfortable with great pillows, and temperature perfect. All the staff were polite and helpful. We ate in the restaurant and the food was very good and of a reasonable price. We will certainly use again.

Room Tip: We had room 22 which was a double sea view room
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitstable
Crescent Turner Hotel
Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Canterbury
Holiday Inn Express Canterbury
#1 of 1 in Upper Harbledown

Been to The Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!