“A good stay”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Whitstable
London
“A good stay”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

All clean and freshly decorated currently. Big comfortable room with wonderful sea view and balcony with table and chairs. (Not their fault about the terrible weather.) Obviously a lot of thought has gone into interior decor and comfort. Good breakfast menu, fresh fruit too. Lots of outdoor seating. Easy walk into Whitstable. My only criticism was the blaring racket (music?) in the bar/lounge. Lounges are supposed to be relaxing areas, and judging by the demographic when we were there, it would definitely be considered a racket by many of the (mature) guests.

Room Tip: It has to be a sea view. Otherwise you could be anywhere.
2 Thank SylvieNeedleman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Winchcombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Great Staff at all times. Rooms were great and the food very good. Wi-fi was excellent and free!
Good location - about 15 minutes walk into the centre of Whitstable. Opposite the beach and great for walk to Herne Bay.

A outstanding expereince - would recommend this place.

1 Thank BrentTraveller
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Being a regular male business traveler and having read some of the comments, I was unsure whether to book or not but the location and price swayed me. The location is a big plus, being right on the sea front so you get a fantastic view from your room, if you choose a sea view room which I highly recommend. The whole hotel with its marine themed decor has been very tastefully done. There are some lovely touches especially with the numerous old fashioned pictures depicting the hotel and surrounding areas by-gone era. This hotel although very modern has an old Edwardian feel about it where only the very rich and well to do Edwardian's would have holidayed. I think the female of the species will love the romantic ambiance of this place. I will definitely return with my wife. I give thumbs up for the refurb. and also give thumbs up for the hotels new general manager Kate (well I am a bloke) who hasn't been in the post very long but who always had time for you. I chatted with one of the locals who had been frequenting the hotel over a number of years and who told me that a lot of the staff had been working there for many years. This was apparent as bar staff argued in front of us, they must have thought this was acceptable when the boss wasn't around. I can see why some of the previous comments had been made, however whats the old saying that you can't teach old dogs new tricks. That said the hotel is a clean, light, bright and airy place, with a well appointed top notch room, fab sea views and whose atmosphere oozes relaxation. Pity I was working.
A new hotel, with a great attentive new manager who obviously needs more new well trained loyal staff (out with the old and in with the new springs to mind,) sorry business head on again, been there done that so to speak. The devil is in the detail which was hugely lacking in the food department. They definitely need a new head chef as the food is appalling (I bet he/she has been working there for years too and churning out the same old same old, and not very well at that, come on Shepherd Neame you need to up your game in the food department, it lets the side down. My advice is eat out. There are plenty of good restaurants nearby.

Room Tip: Choose a sea view to get the best aspect of this hotel. Some have a balcony which would be great in...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank T B
Kent, England
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed for one night at the beginning of May in a sea view zip link room (two singles zipped together making one big kingsize - the zip part may bother some people but it wasn't an issue for us). The room had a lovely balcony looking out over Tankerton slopes. Nicely decorated, my only down point was that the shower space felt very cramped due to a hand rail on the wall. Breakfast was good, a small continental selection along with a cooked menu for you to order from.

1 Thank SezF
London
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed here very soon after the refurbishment and had a great time. We found the staff on the whole very polite and efficient ( I would say that, seeing me struggle with a case the mention of a lift -hidden from obvious view-would have been helpful though).

Our room was beautiful with a lovely balcony and sea views. I have no idea if the ornaments were glued down, having no reason to touch them, but found the room very clean. The bathroom was spotless with a lovely bath and shower.

We ate in the bar on our first evening and the food was lovely-the home-made soup was particularly good. On our second evening we ate in the restaurant and had beautiful food with attentive but not over the top staff. Breakfast was lovely-the fish dishes (kippers for one, smoked haddock for another) were freshly cooked and delicious.

My only quibble was that the refurbishments in the bar area had not been finished and breakfast on our second morning was disturbed-all finished now I hope?

We had a great stay here and hope to return-preferably when the weather is better and we can sit outside on our balcony and enjoy the sea and sunset.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view-otherwise you'll be overlooking the carpark
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ConnieLondon
london
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here on a number of occasions, albeit usually when other preferences were not to be had in Whitstable; We have always found it to be good value, great for early morning walks on the beach with the dogs- who are also happily accepted, child friendly, a lively and welcoming bar, a more than filling breakfast, friendly staff and comfortable rooms.
Overall pretty good really and doesn't leave a massive whole in your wallet after paying the bill

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank LondonDaver
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We booked a one night stay (a Friday night in May) based purely on the good reviews on Trip Advisor (and having just read them again, they are all pretty spot on!). We liked the sound of a recently refurbished hotel with sea views and especially liked the price – a superior double room with balcony and sea view with breakfast included – all for £105 (much cheaper to book direct with the hotel rather than through travel websites). We did not dine in the restaurant (other than breakfast) so cannot comment.

At this price is WAS excellent value and therefore the few very small criticisms I am about to make must be considered against the value. I make them merely to perhaps indicate to the management how this very nice hotel could actually, with very little effort, and probably no expense, and, dare I say, better management, be made into an EXCELLENT hotel.

It’s also important to point out, for those who, like we, don’t know Whitstable the location of The Marine is at Tankerton, just outside Whitstable, a good 20-30 mins walk to the centre of Whistable itself - a five minute car ride.

Firstly, having travelled all over the world and having stayed in top Five Stars to humble B&Bs I have never been asked to pay for a room in full on arrival. I have absolutely no objection to this, and actually think it is a good idea as it makes for a swift departure/checkout. What I objected to was the way in which the request was made by a surly receptionist who, when I observed whilst handing over my credit card (very politely) that it was ‘unusual’ simply barked at me “Management Policy!”. Um… not very welcoming. Some staff training in basic PR needed here perhaps. It would also have been helpful to have known this policy in advance, I have no idea why they don’t include this in the confirmation of reservation email.

As previous reviewers have commented the clutter behind the reception desk is unnecessary, unprofessional and does not sit comfortably with the contemporary feel of the refurbishments. I noticed a half eaten box of chocolates, a pile of boxes which looked like stationery and a large pot of Vaseline. First impressions are VITAL - especially in the hospitality industry. (Bar the chocolates it was all still there the following morning). This should be relegated to the back office, out of sight. Again, pretty basic stuff really.

On the same theme the cleaners’ mops, buckets and cleaning fluids were left rather prominently by the entrance to the coffee bar, in full view of those arriving, or using the bar, or the restaurant. They will still in the same place three hours later. Odd, and
lacking in the subtle art of finesse so essential in any hotel (no matter how reasonable the room rates!).

The way the maids leave the next occupants’ piles of clean laundry on the floor outside your room from quite early (8am on a Saturday) does make you feel that they are just waiting for the second you vacate. Whilst this is obviously the case, there are ways to make your life as a chamber maid easier without this lack of tact. Other hotels manage this with more tact, so there must be ways to do this is a more subtle manner.

Rather amusingly, as noted by one reviewer already, all the ornaments in the room are glued to their shelves. This was another hotel ‘first’ for us and actually says much about the type of clientele this hotel expects, or perhaps says much about the distrusting management, which along with the pre-pay discipline demonstrates they clearly don’t trust their guests. It didn’t spoil the enjoyment of our stay but did make us feel a little uncomfortable. This is the kind of idea Basil Fawlty would have dreamed up!

Our room itself was lovely, well equipped, with quality fixtures and fittings, and stunning sea views. In order to keep it this way a more rigorous approach to cleanliness is going to be necessary. The fitted wardrobe had a very stylish old leather suitcase/hat box display on the top (glued down, obviously) but hadn’t seen a duster for months. Ditto the display logs in the mock-fireplace which are never going to be burnt but were gathering dust and spiders' webs quite nicely.

The skirting boards and base of the dressing table were showing signs of wear very soon after the refurbishment. It would be a shame to ignore these and easy to remedy. Again, this shows a lack of attention to detail which should be the very basics of hotel trade – I’m not blaming the cleaning staff – this has to come from the Head of Housekeeping.

The breakfast menu was impressively huge with imaginative choices. Sadly the cooked food didn’t quite live up to the high hopes we had having seen the menu. We wondered whether a smaller menu might be easier for the kitchen to cope with. Much of our breakfast choices had been sitting around for quite a while, and had that ‘just reheated’ taste. The fresh fruit, continental meats/cheese, compote, juices and cereals were all good, as was the service which was put under pressure; the restaurant being full with some large parties.

Our overall impression of The Marine was very good - saved mostly by the value for money, tasteful décor, our lovely room, the stunning sea views, and a quiet, good night’s sleep. But, unless the management take a more active role in monitoring the staff, more staff training, and attention to detail I fear this hotel can only go downhill, which would be a great shame.

Room Tip: Its worth paying a bit extra for the front facing sea rooms with balconies which afront the road, bu...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitstable
Crescent Turner Hotel
ABode Canterbury
ABode Canterbury
#7 of 16 in Canterbury
Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel

Been to The Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!