“A foggy time in Whitstable”
Review of The Marine Hotel

The Marine Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Whitstable
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Whitstable has been on my ‘must-go’ places to visit – forever – it seems. There are so many stories, articles and cookery programmes centred on the rich harvest of fish and sea food in the area, especially oysters - so it was time to go. I needed to breathe the sea air, taste the fish and watch the sea.
Checking the internet accommodation offerings there seemed to be little choice of hotels in Whitstable itself and most booking sites centred on the Marine Hotel at Tankerton just outside Whitstable and situated on the cliffs. Sounded good.
We booked a twin room for two nights overlooking the sea with a balcony (the balcony just seemed to come with the room) on a bed and breakfast basis and arrived just after two in the afternoon. Our recently refurbished room was delightful, with quality soft painted furniture and lots of storage space and good quality beds with white duvets and fluffy white towels to match. It was generous in size with double opening door on to the balcony which seemed to stretch along the face of the hotel. The doors were secondary glazed and we felt snug and peaceful in this ‘four star’ room with a personally controlled heating system that was effective and comfortable. The bathroom was lovely with a quality hand basin, bath and powerful shower attachment over the bath. Accessories were abundant with a Freeview TV (although a little small) a clock, hairdryer, tea and coffee and the usual expected accessories. The whole ‘room’ package was charming.
We chose to eat in the dining room on our first evening and meandered our way through the rather shabby downstairs ‘pub’ bar area in to the dining room which had been recently refurbished. It was smart and comfortable and the service was excellent. The food was’ PUB’ style and OK. Breakfast was waiter served and comprised fresh fruit and cereals and a full English breakfast with the usual tea, coffee and juices. All very good.
The hotel is currently being refurbished and some of the bedrooms and the dining room have already been completed. The hotel is due to close from January to March 2013 to complete the refurbishment which we would imagine will include the bar area. If the standard is similar to our bedroom, the hotel will be lovely.
We spent our time walking along the sea front and talking to the locals. We explored the town, checked out the museum and ambled along to Peter Cushing’s old house and then strolled around the small and foggy harbour. On our second evening we decided to eat at the Crab and Winkle fish restaurant right there on the quayside and we didn’t regret it. The food and the service were delightful and highly recommended. The restaurant gets its name from the old railway that used to run from Canterbury to Whitstable in the nineteenth century; there are a few web sites to visit which can provide more information about the railway history of Whitstable and it’s harbour.
I can recommend a visit to Whitstable and the Marine Hotel on Tankerton Cliffs. The hotel staff were helpful and pleasant and the establishment provided a comfortable base from which to explore the town.
We never did get to see the sea.
It was foggy during our two day stay in Whitstable and we couldn’t ‘sea’ much at all. Somewhere out there in the sea, we were told, there are a number of old world war two forts and a cluster of wind turbines. We never did get to find out just how many. Perhaps you will have better luck.
Go to http://onepalelight.blogspot.co.uk/ to view a few foggy pictures of our time in Whitstable. There are also some useful links within the text.

Room Tip: Room 2 was lovely
2  Thank PaleLightsMusic

Reviewed October 18, 2012

I used to live and whitstable and go back and visit 2 or 3 times a year.

Past few times I've stayed my impression has been "Shabby" and on my last visit back in May would've have made me not look at staying here again. However they were in the middle of getting all the rooms renovated so although the room I had was not great the rooms I saw that had been given a makeover looked very nice and worthy of a great hotel.

My biggest bug bear is that as an ex resident of the town and knowing the Marine over so many years it has never changed anything in the downstairs area bar/louge etc (I'm pretty sure this goes for the wallpaper). If they update that then the place will be top notch although knowing Sheperd Neame they'll rammed up the prices.

My overall viewis that its not my first choice but not my last either.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CardinalBaz
Reviewed October 15, 2012

The room, superior, sea facing was one of the best designed we have experienced. Pity that the housekeeping did not match - bin not emptied and cleaning materials left in the room on entry, room not made up on return next day. Used to be my local 50 years ago and the bar and restaurant don't seem to have changed since then! No point in commenting in detail, as awaiting much needed refurb, but still has the feel of a pub rather than a good hotel and succesful transition will depend on a better trained staff.

Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

I booked a last minute night at this hotel as a little getaway for my wife and I, just before starting a new job.
We'd had lunch in the bar a couple of times, but I had no idea what rooms would be like, and to be honest, I wasn't expecting much.
We had a sea-view room, right at top of hotel. It was very good indeed, and you could tell it was recently refurbed, and it exceeded all my expectations, in a good way !! Lovely decor, especially liked Roberts DAB bedside radio with iPhone dock !!
We parked right outside, which was great, and were allowed to leave car there for a couple of hours after our late, mid-day checkout.
We only had a light dinner, but breakfast was excellent - cooked to order, which is rare these days.
The Marine is now our "go to" place for a weekend getaway, and I'd thoroughly recommend a visit - room rates are very reasonable. £82 for sea view double, inc excellent breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This is the second time I've stayed here and this time I had a refurbished room which was really quite stylish. A great improvement! The facilities are really very good for the price. It's not in Whitstable itself, but is only about quarter of an hour's walk from the station and Marine Parade runs along the sea front, so it's a great place for a walk or jog along the sea front.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 9, 2012

As regular visitors to Whitstable, we've always found a very limited choice of any hotels, let alone at a reasonable price not too far from the centre, and with a sea view. But we found all that at the Marine. It's actually in Tankerton rather than Whitstable but only half a mile or so up the road. We'd always dismissed it as it seemed very tatty and I'd not heard good things - until the last few months. So this time we gave it a try and it was lovely. We had a refurbished room with a balcony and sea view. It was spacious, well furnished and decorated, comfortable bed, large bathroom etc. Very good indeed for just over £90 B&B for 2 on a Saturday night. Though the common parts of the pub/hotel could do with a lot of sprucing up, and if the not yet refurbished rooms are in keeping with that, I can understand why some customers have been disappointed. So hurry up Shepherd Neame and finish the rest of the refurb. And it's halfway between one of our favourite restaurants (JoJo's in Tankerton) and Whitstable Harbour.

Room Tip: Refurbished sea view
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We had a lovely room with sea view which had recently renovated..The bar was friendly and breakfast was good but a bit chaotic. Would definitely stay again. There was free secure parking behind the hotel.

Room Tip: Go for a room on the first floor, avoid the second.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitstable
Crescent Turner Hotel
Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Canterbury
Holiday Inn Express Canterbury
#1 of 1 in Upper Harbledown

Been to The Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!