“Staff stamina pulled it out of the bag” 3 of 5 bubbles

Pizza Express
Ranked #81 of 121 Restaurants in Whitstable
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Staff stamina pulled it out of the bag”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Went to PE last night having been turned away by Prezzo. Terrible start left standing by the door for 6 minutes, others behind us gave up. We had hungry six years olds so little choice but to persevere. The place was heaving - the back room felt like a crèche for children all wearing Boden and Joules. The staff were clearly under monumental pressure, we think the manager/waitress was even cooking at one point. They maintained their good humour though so we were willing them on- they brought the dough balls and booze early so that long long wait for pizzas wasn't so bad.
Food as reliable as ever. Well done guys for just about pulling it out if the bag in the face of adversity :-) PS need tomdo something about the air con in the loos - it was unbearably hot.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Not very express”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

As regulars to this restaurant we were incredibly dissatisfied with all aspects of this particular restaurant tonight .... The staff were very kind but understaffed this caused missed orders cold food and generally this caused chaos .... Firstly we had booked and then had to move tables twice firstly for being barged into and secondly for having out of control children rampaging in the restaurant we wanted dinner for two!!! Eventually settled we had our usual bottle of fizz and that was delicious then the trouble started the garlic bread with mozzarella was tiny certainly not able to share so my partner ate it all!!! Then the main courses arrived my partners was doughy and cold it was changed but still took a long time my order was forgotten about!!!! Eventually turned up 40minutes later the salad was pleasant and the polenta chips lovely but a tiny portion certainly not enough for a 6'2 male for his extra!!!! Eventually my pizza came along delicious but after 40 mins and 2 pizzas for him I was pecking!!!! The desert the lemon torte was delicious and surprisingly the service was fast there was then a hoohah with the bill and that took ages to correct too!!!!
Now at the start of the meal my partner popped to the gents and almost passed out with the heat!!! At the end of the meal I popped to the ladies again they were far too hot and dirty ... Mentioned this to the manager and said it wasn't her fault the air conditioning was not working .... Do not pop here on a warmish evening far too hot!!!

1 Thank Elisabeth P
London, United Kingdom
“Horrible waitress”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

I have been to many Pizza Express restaurants and always been pleased or at least content with the service and food. This visit, however, I cannot say the same for.

The restaurant was busy, but that is understandable because it is holiday season and we arrived at about half past seven. The only seat available to us was in the middle, right in front of the open kitchen and serving area. That was fine and not a problem. As soon as we were seated we were given drinks, which set us off to a good start.

We ordered our starter, a vegetarian anti-pasti, which we had enjoyed before. As the kitchen is open plan we could see the chef plating up the food and leaving it, waiting for the waitress to come and pick it up. We spotted an anti-pasti plated up but with salami (or some other meat) on it. Then, suddenly, the chef took the plate and took the salami off and replaced it with a vegetarian option. The plate was then served to us. This was not a huge concern to me - I know mistakes happen in the kitchen and I am not a vegetarian. However, my Grandad is, and was less than impressed. We did not say anything as we didn't want to cause a scene and wanted to enjoy our meal.

For my main I ordered a calzone pizza. Again, I watched as this was served up then left for 10 minutes before it reached me. Maybe an issue with timing in the kitchen? Eitherway, I enjoyed it at first. But it lost its warmth very quickly and by the middle it was almost cold.

Maybe we would have complained if we'd got the chance to catch the waitresses eye. She (the head waitress with short black hair) was bustling about and seemed more concerned about berating the other staff, who seemed rushed off their feet whilst she relaxed and chatted to the chefs. Whilst ordering desserts she just said 'ok' and walked off halfway through our order and I had to catch her again to order the rest of what we wanted.

I usually love pizza express but this place really needs to either restaff or train the waitresses in customer service. Plus, teach the chefs exactly what a vegetarian is.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Whitstable, United Kingdom
“One of the best Pizza Expresses for food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

We eat at PX a lot and have found this to be one of the best, which is fortunate as it's our local. Staff are friendly, intelligent and upbeat. The chef remembers what pizzas we have and says hi on the way in (hi Jordan!). Eating here is a real pleasure.

Visited June 2013
“4 visits each time disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Loved Pizza Express, until I went to the Whitstable one, decor bare & clinical. Food poor-average.
Went last week and ordered the meatballs. Burnt on top and freezing cold inside- new dish brought to table 30 minutes after my friend had finished hers- so we ate separately.
Cost of food removed from bill but we had a vouchercode- which wasn't taken into account, so it was as broad as it was long cost wise anyway.

• Visited June 2013