“Lovely hotel in excellent location on the seafront”
Review of Hotel Continental

Hotel Continental
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Whitstable
Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Continental for 1 night in November. It is a lovely quaint hotel on the sea front. We had a a wonderful sea view from our room. The hotel staff were friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Clean and well presented the beds were really comfy. Excellent location with professional, friendly staff. Breakfast would have been better if it hadn't been cooked too early and left on the hot plate but it was still OK with plenty of choice. This hotel is a little over priced for the service it actually offers but we still really enjoyed our stay and would consider this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank melanie i

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Stayed here for a night for a wedding nearby. Great location, really helpful staff too. Room was comfy and very clean. Breakfast was brilliant and a great start to the day-- all compliments to the chef. Would definitely visit again, thanks

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 26, 2012

The Continental is a quaint and quirky looking place - Great location but in real need of some modernisation. I had a double room - at the back of the hotel. Not a great room, and a view overlooking the roof, fire-escape and the beer cellar below - Had a coffee and a beer in the hotel but not great. Well over-priced for the standard of hotel and accommodation - but they can get away with it because of the location and little competition. Bathroom was the best bit about the room compact but - modern. Building is quaint enough and the staff are helpful - It just lacks investment and sensibly priced room tariffs.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed 2 nights over the weekend in room 24. Bad room no cupboard or drawers and shower useless. In the evening the water into the bath ran really slowly and took ages to get to any depth. Room freezing when we checked in.
Welcome from staff on reception at arrival (5pm) on Friday was poor. Girl not friendly and failed to give us any information eg where the room was (and it is hard to find at the very top of the building) or times of breakfast.
Food at breakfast was good but the coffee is awful. Service on Saturday was poor.
The hotel has a great location shame about the rest. For £135 per night we expected far more.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Helen S
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Not my first stay & I am sure it wont be my last. On the sea front in Whitstable the location is fabulous. Stayed for 2 nights with some other work colleagues. Room was spacious, clean, comfortable and tastefully decorated. Had dinner in the bar & the food was excellent. Service was polite & very helpful. We had the option to call ahead & order food as we were working late. Overall a very enjoyable short stay, just the job!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The hotel was built in the 30s and our room was HUGE!! The bathroom was as big as a bedroom. The food was good value, but the cost of the room did not reflect the service. There is a secure car park about 100 yards away.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Stayed at Hotel Continental on a business trip for three days. When I saw the website I thought it looked nice and was looking forward to staying.

When I arrived I was told I was staying in room 19 and was offered help with my luggage but I kindly refused as felt I could manage. When i opened my room I was far from pleased, the room was so tiny, it was basically a small box room. The window overlooked some rusty steel stair cases and I believe was close to the kitchen as I heard alot of dishes clanging as if someone was washing up constantly. My clothes were to be hung on a hook on the wall, no wardrobe! The bed was so uncomfy that I had to double up the duvet to get a comfier sleep. The shower was also very poor, not very strong and basically dribbled out. No coffee/tea or any welcome refreshments. I asked if I could move rooms but they yound lady on reception said I would need to change rooms everynight as they were pretty full. I didnt feel that she was very helpful at all or even attempted to see what was available.

Breaksfast didnt start until 7.30am which I unfortunately missed as left early around 7am for work.

I would definately not go back to this hotel, this is the first comment I have ever left on here but felt the need to.

I believe the hotel room was £80.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Danielle F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitstable
The Marine Hotel
ABode Canterbury
ABode Canterbury
#6 of 16 in Canterbury
Travelodge Canterbury Dunkirk

Been to Hotel Continental? Share your experiences!