“10 % surcharge for parties”
Review of The Royal

The Royal
Ranked #50 of 136 Restaurants in Whitstable
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Went here in a group of 25 and they wanted to charge us 10% because it was a large party. Wasn't the fact that we must have spent over £500 enough I ask. We didn't pay as after a discussion it was removed from the bill. Food and service here are fine. Good pub grub in pleasant surroundings but beware of taking a large group here because of the surcharge.

1  Thank gas65

Reviewed November 3, 2013

I ate here recently with a large group. When we arrived we had drinks, which were quite expensive! Unfortunately the only starters available were fish or soup of the day, and I don't eat seafood, plus I didn't fancy tomato soup so I just went without. The main meal was tasty, and the rest of our group seemed happy too, clean plates all around. But nobody was raving about it, and considering the price this seemed a shame! again people were fairly happy with their desserts, but I had a cheeseboard and was rather disappointed, sure there were about 5 cheeses but each one was only bite sized and the chutney wasn't very nice. They were very dry, hard cheeses and seeing as I didn't have the chutney with it I didn't enjoy the cheeseboard much. I had some wine, which was very nice and fairly priced. Overall this place was a good experience, but the menu is a little restricted and doesn't cater for many tastes, and it is overpriced. I'd go back there if I was invited, as the food is good quality, but I wouldn't choose to go back there of my own accord, mostly because of the lack of variety on the menu; it is basic pub food but unfortunately not basic prices. That being said, the service was good and no complaints in that area!

Reviewed October 31, 2013

On the surface this looked promising; nicely decorated traditional English pub. Nice warm greeting, by someone, I think was called Chris Steel/Steed and who I assume was the landlord, albeit a bit smug when I asked "are you still serving food" (at 1845), we haven't even started yet ho ho.
The pint of IPA, which I assume was a guest Ale, was the flattest I'd tasted since a similar pint in the Marine Hotel just a few 100 yds away. Must be the sea air or just Shep beer, who knows!! The landlord knows how to look after his locals though, because when one came in he promptly anounced "I've got something for you" and disappeared to the cellar and returned with what looked like a fresh out of the cask beer. Not what you know but who you know!! We enquired about a table and after two waitresses consulted a booking diary, was told we could have table 16, which was all well and good, bearing in mind at this time in the evening we were two of only 10 people in the 100 seat restaurant bar, why it took two people to find this out is beyond me. I ordered another IPA, hoping it would be better (it wasn't) and got a bottle of IPA instead. This was incidentally served by the same person who got me my first pint, memory of a goldfish! A waitress then came and took the food order which was Local caught Skate for me and Homemade Steak and Kidney Pudding for my wife. Food was delivered in approx 15-20 minutes and was piping hot and delicious. That's unfortunately where the good bit ends. After our plates were cleared that was the last I saw of the waitress or any waitress come to that, no dessert menu, no offer of more drinks or coffee, no nothing. They were too busy eating or drinking in the kitchen and were not seen at all for at least 20 minutes. Where was the landlord during all of this, nowhere to be seen.
I am a publican and hotelier and to be honest if these were my staff they would be lining up at the job centre this morning. In fact if it wasn't for the chef, and his delicious food, this could have been a lot worse. I could have easily got up and walked out without paying, as my table was not visited by anybody for 40 minutes after my food was served. Both my wife and I had empty glasses as did another table. Not going to make much money if your not selling anything, eh Chris? In short avoid this place like your life depended on it, they just don't care if you're not a local!! If anybody at this pub or at Shepherd Neame wishes to contact me with regards to my experience you can contact me at steve@theprideofpaddington.co.uk where I will happily go through all of this again.

8  Thank Steve C
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Whoever appoints the staff is a genius. The barmaids and waitresses could not have been friendlier or more efficient. We enjoyed good, basic English food, served in a warm environment, at a fair price - two chicken and mushroom puddings plus soft drinks came to less than £25. The number of customers on a Wednesday evening showed how deservedly popular this hotel restaurant must be.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Upon arrival we were greeted by a welcoming waitress and lead to a sea view table, the atmosphere of the restaurant was lovely and orders were quickly made, the menu had a great variety of choices and the board specials were hard to choose from as all sounded tempting. The food was quickly served and at outstanding quality, we thoroughly enjoyed our meals and the service carried out made the experience very pleasurable, I would defiantly recommend this restaurant if you are looking for great service and delicious food. Thankyou to all the staff !! 14.09.2013