“never again”

Old Neptune
Ranked #32 of 135 Restaurants in Whitstable
Cuisines: Pub
Reviewed August 6, 2013

i gave the food a second chance and it was even worse than before. THe fish gougons were beyond greasy and hidden in the mound of batter a minuscule piece of fish. And i wont even begin on the 'fries'. my daughters was not much better Expensive for a bad pub meal .

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Ordered 2 scampi and chips and 2 half pints of cider - £22! The chips were like skinny crisps, the scampi had been overlooked too and the salad was adequate. Now I know the setting is nice but our experience means We would never go back there - have a drink and sit outside by all means if you have deep pockets - the interior is just an ordinary pub so if it's raining I wouldn't bother even for a drink. We felt ill all afternoon after eating only some of the food! Probably deep fried in old oil.

1  Thank Stenglebug
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

What a great old worldly seaside pub complete with old weathered floorboards that slope towards the sea to allow the water to flow out when storms pound the Northern Kent coastline because the Old Neptune sits on the beach outside the sea wall. Lovely picnic tables outside overlooking the sea where you can sit & soak up the sunshine & drink local Kent ales / lagers or ciders & enjoy some of the freshest fish & chips that come piled high.

A definite must-do for any visit to Whitstable.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

A social group I am a member of had a day out in Whitstable and as we were walking past this pub we decided we ought to go in. To the landlords credit the pub hadnt fully opened and wasnt due to do so but when faced with 20 customers he agreed to open early!
The staff were all very helpful the place is nice not overly large but all was friendly, the decor has a "uniqueness"
Of the group 5 of us deided to have a snack. I ordered a Calamari salad. The Calamari was cooked although the batter was a little thick for my tastes and a tad greasy. The salad was a little unexciting but filled a gap.
My only real discomfort was that this pub appears to be a meeting point for dog walkers and some were dogs that some people might be uncomfortable to be in close proximity with, but thats just a personal view. Overall a pleasant experience.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have been to The Old Neptune a few times for lunch, and it has generally been OK. On this latest occasion, it was very disappointing. The Harvey's beer, which we both ordered, was "off", so we didn't get off to a good start. We were then given the menus, and it was only after we had made our decision, were we told that they had no crab. This is Whitstable for goodness sake, there is a brilliant fish market just down the road. As I had ordered a crab sandwich, needless to say I wasn't very pleased. They also had crab listed as one of the "specials". What is the point of writing a dish up on the Specials board if it is unavailable. I then ordered breaded "king" prawns. King size they definitely were not, just regular prawns, deep fried, and very very greasy.

I agree with a previous contributor, that the staff are not really interested in making non regulars welcome. They are very offhand with tourists.

Had we been asked, I would have made my comments face to face, but nobody asked if everything was to our satisfaction. Should I be surprised?

1  Thank MLP63