“We drove 25 miles and it didn't disappoint”

The Whitstable Oyster Company
Ranked #9 of 123 Restaurants in Whitstable
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London, England, United Kingdom
“We drove 25 miles and it didn't disappoint”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

My fiancé and I had been to Dover early that morning to watch the sunrise, and seeing as we had our rented car for another few hours we made the effort to look up a good seafood restaurant. Reading the reviews on this place we had high expectations that were met entirely.

Atmosphere: Stepping in through the door we were met with an instant atmosphere of a weather-beatan fisherman's cabin with a twist of quality and luxury in the details.

Staff: The staff were friendly, but seemed a little too casual (it was hard to differentiate the waitresses from the customers). Nevertheless they were rosy cheeked and wholesome looking which added to the character of the restaurant.

Food: we came to whitstable for the oysters as neither my fiancé nor I had ever tried them. We got the first ones on the menu that had been caught locally as opposed to farmed. Although we had nothing to compare it to it was a wonderful experience and finally all we had heard about oysters made a lot of sense. For main we had the salmon and the lobster... Both were beautiful, really beautiful. And that's all I can say!

Value: the high quality of the restaurant is without a doubt so a part of me feels the 4 stars I gave isn't justified. My main reason for doing this is that being a young person
(compared to the average customer in the restaurant that day) every item seemed slightly stretched price wise. Had everything been £2 or £3 cheaper I would have felt a little easier. Having said that the portion sizes were ideal and the quality was high... I suppose I shouldn't complain about lobster for under £30. If I could I would rate it 4.5.

Overall it was worth the journey and we would both recommend it!

Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Dreadful service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

We visited with our son and his partner, recommending this as my husbands favourite restaurant, he had not been for a few years as has been living abroad, but we used to visit regularly. First of all we were shown to a table with huge draught from patio doors and told people preferred the view (it was pitch black) to the draught! They did swiftly move us though! We were served by several different members of staff, all of whom could not be bothered, dishes were practically thrown at us, staff leant over table to pass dishes, cutlery slung on table for second course. All rather scruffy. Waiter did not have any info regarding wine or fish and did not even offer to find someone who did. Forgot the water. forgot our order of chocolates for dessert with our coffee which was slopped in saucer! My Turbot was very nice, but rest of family very disappointed, mussels were overlooked, battered cod and chips very overpriced for quality. Presentation grim. We voiced our concerns and opted out of the 'optional' service! We will not be recommending this restaurant to anyone and obviously will not be returning. Goodness only knows who owns it now!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank wendybash
London, United Kingdom
“Good atmosphere, food lovely”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

Heartily recommend the restaurant, however it was freezing cold in the big dining room. Food was lovely but slightly overpriced, decor, staff and food all great

“Watch out for the optional service charge...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

Visited today and just got back but felt we had to say straight away. The atmosphere was ok but service was not overly friendly. Portion size is average and presentation not exactly appealing. Expected a lot more for the price! Just a warning if you were thinking of trying it anyway, watch out for the 'optional' service charge as we found it wasn't optional at all...when paying we were never given the option of NOT paying it...

Kent
“Soggy bread”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

Excellent native oysters and seafood. Pity about the soggy bread served to start with. Why is it that so many restaurants in this country cannot get the bread right? Are there so few local bakers left that they have to rely on heating the frozen variety?

• Visited December 2012