“Absolutely disgusting breakfast. And not a particularly "Premier" experience.”

Premier Inn Tonbridge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Tonbridge
“Absolutely disgusting breakfast. And not a particularly "Premier" experience.”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Not usually one to promote negativity but as this site is for honest review, thought I should just provide a frank report of my experience staying here. This company's advert state's quite proudly that "everything is premier but the price". Well in my personal opinion, nothing is premier about this place, and certainly not the price. At a shade uder £90 for a very basic double room with breakfast in a very basic environment, this is far from competitive. If I was to state what I thought would be a fair price for this place as they do on that television programme (whose name I can't recall), I'd suggest that half that would be fairer.

Location isn't ideal if you aren't travelling by car - it's a short (£5) taxi ride away from Tonbridge station with no local amenities nearby.

In summary, the guy on reception was really helpful & friendly during check-in (and seemed always available), the bed was large but slightly hard (but in all fairness more than acceptable for a nights sleep) and pillows were comfy. However, room walls are very thin so you can hear conversations and television volume in the next rooms with ease and I was awoken in the middle of the night (this is mid-week) by a group returning to the next room very loudly. The bathroom was clean in general but the bath taps did contain that yellowey scum (limescale?) that builds over time following insufficient cleaning - inexcusable for a hotel in my opinion.

I borrowed an iron while there that must have been slightly faulty as despite my careful use of said iron, it leaked yellowey-grey water, unfortunately staining the pristine clean white shirt I had packed ready for a business meeting - meaning that as I was away from home without access to a back-up, I attended a profssional meeting with a stained and dirty-looking shirt. Far from ideal to say the very least!

In the morning, I had the breakfast that I had paid £8.25 for and frankly it was absolutely disgusting. You eat in the pub adjacent to the Premier Inn (the "Vauxhall Inn" from memory?) and this pub itself appears very nice, it was busy the previous evening and the dinner menu left in the bedroom appeared good. Unfortunately the pleasent appearence didn't extend to breakfast. It took over 15 minutes for any of the staff to actually take my breakfast order and this only happened when I gestured to one of them to ask if I could order. "In a minute" was his response, despite the fact that he was only laughing and joking with a colleague. When my order was taken, this same individual then returned to his colleagues to finish his jovial conversation for a few further minutes before taking my order through to the kitchen, frustrating given the fact that time was very much of the essence for me that morning. I'm not quite sure how you can go wrong with a cooked breakfast and it's very obvious that delicious products can be purchased at low cost at any supermarket, cooked with ease by anybody with basic cooking skills and then served to grateful customers who have paid for this "Premier breakfast" priviledge. On this basis it was disappointing to be served very poor tasting thin pork sausages and egg that tasted only of cooking oil/fat. Even a cup of coffee I had tasted disgusting, to the point where I thought that this must actually be a wind up (how can coffee actually be made to taste bad?) As the hotel is literally in the middle of nowhere, there aren't really any realistic alternative options so you basically have to pay for this overpriced for the quality and poor tasting fiasco or go hungry.

All in all a disappointing experience to say the least. It seems there aren't many hotel options in Tonbridge and it might be on this basis that Premier Inn allow this poor standard to prevail in this location. This is a real shame as with massive but easy to implement improvements to the breakfast offering and perhaps a small amount of internal refurbishment to improve sound-proofing (or even, dare I say it, using common sense and placing guests a few rooms apart when it is clear that the hotel is nowhere near full and equally clear that mid-week people might actually consider uninterupted sleep to be important), this place could be particularly handy for those travelling to Tonbridge on business. A real opportunity exists for a competitor to enter the area to provide a superior alternative at the same or similar price so the hotel management should seriously consider improving the offering of this hotel so that positive reviews of it start to prevail.

In my two star rating, I have deducting a star for the cost in relation to the quality of the environment, a star for the ironing-mishap and a further star for the quality of the breakfast given the lack of additional options.

Room Tip: Perhaps ask to be located a room away from neighbours if the hotel isn't particularly busy and a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank LeeF81
Whitbread-77, Laura Gibbins- Social Media at Premier Inn Tonbridge Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel.

It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion our breakfast service did not meet your expectations. Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards.

Please be assured that the issues raised will be fully investigated. Thank you once again for your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Essex
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for just one night to attend a wedding reception. I was quite surprised at how small the hotel was, only two floors.
We stayed on the second floor and even though we had booked a double room, the Receptionist advised us that the cleaners had only provided enough towels for one person, however she said that more towels would be brought to our room. They never materialised. The room was spacious and overlooked the car park so, whilst not scenic, at least we could keep an eye on the car! The day was very hot and a fan was in the room already which was a nice touch and the bed was massive and comfortable. All in all a perfectly adequate hotel room.
What lets this place down is the restaurant next door. We went for breakfast and you can’t normally go wrong with that but my advice would be: steer clear of the scrambled eggs! I don’t know how they are cooking it (microwaved perhaps?) but it was rubbery, stretchy and tasted and felt absolutely horrible. Nothing like any scrambled eggs I have EVER tasted. I left it all. You have to toast your own bread which is fair enough but if you want hot toast with your breakfast, you have to wait until your food arrives to then go and queue for your toast so the food on your plate gets cold. I know getting your own toast is fairly common but it’s a personal bug bear of mine and not all hotels insist on this practise. I stuck to the cereal and juice which, at £8, was expensive!
Overall an adequate hotel but find somewhere else to eat.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
Reviewed August 13, 2012

12 rooms for 5 nights ... everyone happy with facilities and adjoining restaurant. Reception very helpful getting initial rooming confusion sorted. (They need to read emails!) A quiet location. Standards very good. Vauxhall Inn gave us a separate eating room on two occasions - a bit rustic, but homely - and the Sunday roast at short notice was great! We'd certainly go to this hotel again

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Kent
Reviewed August 6, 2012

My son and I stayed one night in the Premier Inn, Tonbridge, for a bit of mother and son bonding time away from his siblings! On our arrival we were greeted by a very friendly member of staff, who greeted both me and me son (age 7) - I always like it when my children acknowledged as a guest in his own right, it amazes me how often children are ignored! The lady on reception chatted to my son and made he and I both feel welcome and at ease. The room was lovely, comfy beds, clean, TV on the wall that worked! Tea and coffee making facilities, bath and shower. It had everything we needed for our overnight stay.

We had dinner in the pub next door which was very nice, the food was lovely and there was a good choice, I was impressed by the children's menu.

We had a good nights sleep, no problems with noise, the bed was comfy, I slept so well I was woken by my alarm in the morning so we didn't miss breakfast!

Breakfast was in the pub next door too and was good value for money, especially as my son ate free. The cooked breakfast wasn't great, the mushrooms were a bit rubbery and I have had better bacon, but overall it was fine and the "all you can eat" aspect is always a welcome one. My son even commented "what great service in here".

I would definitely use this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank teacosysuzy
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights at the start of our week touring Kent. It was easy to find and well situated.
As with many Premier Inns there is a pub next door, and the Vauxhall Inn was very very nice for food and drink and breakfast.
Our room was on the ground floor at the rear of the building and felt damp as we walked in.
This however was simply due to there being no heating on due to the warm weather, and combined with the fact that our window looked out onto an embankment (that is very close to the building) which blocks most of the sunlight so doesnt warm the room naturally, and once we put the heating on was fine. You don't book into one of these expecting a view but maybe a bit more natural light would have been nice
The staff were very friendly and helpful.
We would deffinately stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Usual standard, good pub next door, predictably adequate. Predictable but they really should stop advertising £29 I have never got this rate quoted by them, ever! How come London beer prices apply in the middle of Kent?

• Stayed July 2012
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2012

This is one of the smallest Premier Inn's I have stayed in. Split over 2 floors, with no lift to the upper floor, there are around 30 rooms in this hotel.

The Premier Inn standard format is the same here, the rooms have the same carpets and bedding, slight differences in layout, but all have en suite, shower over bath, hairdryer and freeview TV.

Restaurant is a seperate building. Evening meal was lovely but expensive, it seems quite exclusive and a main course is between £10-£16 and starters £3-£9 ... good quality food though, you will enjoy it.

Be warned that in the summer, this hotel will get hot and you can't open the windows wide. There is a fan in the room but it might not help totally.

No nearby shops, you'd have to go to town, so don't run out of cigarettes and have a spare lighter, or you would need to do a few mile drive to the nearest.

Ideal for a night or two, or business stay

Room Tip: Ask for ground floor if you have mobility issues, no lift to upper floor
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Sophie H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tonbridge
Best Western Rose and Crown in Tonbridge
#2 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells
Smart and Simple Hotel
Smart and Simple Hotel
#10 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells

Been to Premier Inn Tonbridge Hotel? Share your experiences!