“Fantastic ” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Tonbridge
Gravesend, United Kingdom
“Fantastic ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the rose and crown for a business trip for 3 days in the garden wing and I cannot fault the service provided. Yes the hotel is old but that makes it all the more interesting. Room was immaculate and staff were very helpful especially Tracy the housekeeper supplying me extra pillows and getting me and iron and ironing board straight away. This was great for me as I've stayed at previous hotels here I've had to wait ages for extras I've requested. All in all a great stay and I will be back

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Richard K, Owner at BEST WESTERN Rose And Crown In Tonbridge, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
LRebecca68: Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2014 via mobile

I stayed gere last night. Yes I have read the reviews and I did worry a bit although now I have visited and stayed in this beautiful old victorian building im glad I made my booking. We arrived a little early but that was no bother our room was ready for us and we checked in. We walked to our room and my heart started going wondering wat was behind the door as the hotel we stayed in the night before was a nightmare and after reading the reviews I thought I was in for another bad night lesson to learn dont always believe wat you read! I couldnt have been so wrong. We entered our lovely decorated room and it smelt so clean and fresh I felt relief. Walking around our room and we were comparing our room from the night before in another hotel. This one was very clean and fresh and the bed was so comfortable plus the room had plenty of clothes space :-) (my bonus) The bath room was clean and had some lovely bits for us to use. I had the best sleep followed by a loveky breakfast complements to the chef. We went bk to our room were I used the tea and biscuits supplied as we were packing to leave although I did ask my partner to say another night we had to return home but will most definitely be returning every chance possible.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Richard K, Owner at BEST WESTERN Rose And Crown In Tonbridge, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Lindsey 8: Thank you for your review. I am very happy that you had a great stay. I have passed your comments to Housekeeping. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Kingskerswell
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for twelve weeks Monday to Friday on business.
Not your usual bland hotel, quirky, individual,and different spring to mind.
If you want aircon,a lift,and double glazing go to a modern box hotel!
If you want 16th century character and brilliant staff stay here!

• Stayed July 2014
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Gavin M
Richard K, Owner at BEST WESTERN Rose And Crown In Tonbridge, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Gavin M: Thank you for your review I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your kind words about the character of the hotel.
Watton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2014

I grew up in the Tonbridge area and the Rose & Crown always looked like a place I wanted to stay. When the opportunity arose we booked a Superior Room. However, the mugs and teaspoons were dirty, the room had not been dusted or vacuumed, there was only half a roll of loo paper and no soap. We also noted that the public areas were dusty. We decided to eat at the hotel and were told it was the Sunday menu, which looked ok. The food was disgusting. I had a cod with leek & mushroom pasta. It was dried out, was not freshly cooked - had been reheated so poorly it was not even hot. My husband had the roast beef which again was reheated as was the Yorkshire pudding, potatoes and vegetables. The bar prices were incredibly high too, wine was well over priced - don't touch the house wine, I'm no connoisseur but it tasted awful.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Trish B
Trish B: Thank you for your review, please accept my apologies especially for the food as we pride our selves in serving good quality locally sourced food.

Travelers are raving about these Tonbridge hotels

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014

Stayed here for a wedding. As it's nExt door to the church and on the high street the location is great. However it was very basic. Our room was very small and pretty shabby. The hotel had lots of cracks, peeling wallpaper etc. £90 is fairly cheap but I felt still overpriced for what we got.
It was also ridiculously hot so we didn't sleep well at all.
Didn't eat here so can't comment on the food.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Gooldie
Gooldie: Thank you for your review and your comments. The bedroom you stayed in is scheduled for refurbishment in the next phase. I hope you will return in the future.
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

We had booked into this hotel but were telephoned the day before we were due to arrive, while on our route to Kent, to say that although Best Western had booked our rooms the hotel computer system had a glitch and our room had been double booked. We had booked in ten days before we were due to arrive so there had been plenty of opportunity to put the matter right with longer than the day's notice I was actually given. Well, that's how it seems to us.

On realising their mistake the hotel booked us in elsewhere. I know that these things sometimes happen so I was cautiously content that they had booked us into a hotel that was "of the same standard as [their own] hotel".

The hotel to which they sent us was dirty, smelly, damp and totally unacceptable. We were shocked and left having been told by the manager that we wouldn't be able to get anywhere else because all hotels were busy. I would rather have slept in the car. I eventually got accommodation in Berkshire at about ten o'clock that night - many miles from where I wanted to be and many miles from the sites I wanted to visit.

So, 'disappointed' is a very soft way of describing my feelings about these events and the hotels concerned. However, reading other peoples comments about the Rose and Crown I wonder if it really is any better than the hotel to which they had condemned me. So, on reflection, perhaps I'm relieved - but still very annoyed that we were punished for their mistake.

Approach this hotel with caution I would suggest.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank neilajones
neilajames: Thank you for your review. I am very sorry that we had to book you into a different hotel due to a computer problem and I am sorry you did not find the other hotel up to scratch. If you would like to come to the hotel in the future please contact me personally.
osmotherley
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel on line with Best Western Drove from North Yorkshire to Tonbridge Rose and Crown what a shock never been in a Hotel like this the room had a stale acrid smell hole in the carpet curtains falling off in two places the whole room looked as though not cleaned in months the so called garden which we over looked was full bags of rubbish rusty BBQs .
Went to reception to request a room which was clean shown another in the main building this was worse than the first room we refused to stay .
deputy manager offered apology and a refund we had to contact Best Western York Office for a refund they apologised and gave use 10000 points but we really wonted was a hotel fit for purpose after travelling from North Yorkshire we then had to find a hotel on a Sunday night not a good start to are break in Kent. Feel let down by Best Western

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
david r: Thank you for your review, your comments have been taken on board, we have started work on the garden to rectify the things you commented on. Should you wish to return to the hotel in the future, please contact me personally.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tonbridge
Premier Inn Tonbridge North Hotel
Mercure Tunbridge Wells
The Spa Hotel
The Spa Hotel
#2 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells

Been to BEST WESTERN Rose And Crown In Tonbridge? Share your experiences!