“Small rooms, but clean”

Best Western Rose and Crown in Tonbridge
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Tonbridge
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This pub/hotel is 16th century so the restaurant has some charm. My room was small and basic but clean. It was inexpensive so I didn't have high expectations but the staff were very nice. I had a street facing room where there were bright lights but the curtain did block that.

Room Tip: Request away from the front as there are bright lights
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed October 13, 2013

In brief - don't go here. If you're stuck then sleep in the car. However if you need to hear the evidence read on...!
Read a few more of the reviews in the "terrible" section for similar horror stories to ours - we should have done. Stayed here for work as it seemed the only suitable place in the area. Left as soon as we could. By the end we were both amazed by how it could continue to get worse. It makes Fawlty Towers look good. I've written to the management since we left but received no reply.
Night 1. Booked into rooms overlooking the noisy main road, with Christmas lighting outside the windows, despite specifically requesting quiet rooms. Shower not working in one of these rooms.
Night 2. Moved the following morning to quieter rooms with functioning showers - unfortunately no working central heating in one room, no working toilet in the other.
Night 3. My colleague remained in his room with an electric heater, I moved to another with a working toilet. He then came to use my shower as once again his did not work. Moved one room again due to no internet connection (discovered when logging on to work for the evening). I was given a selection of keys by the staff and advised (unaccompanied) to "find a room I liked". I chose one with a working internet connection. However no heating in this room so asked for a heater. A non-functioning electric heater was delivered, with broken-off dials and some kind of slime covering the wall plug. TV not working.
Each time any of these problems were reported the staff gave the impression of being very surprised at our continued "bad luck". By then we'd probably tried most of the rooms in the place. After 3 nights we realised things were not going to improve and checked out to find somewhere else for the remainder of the week. I expressed incredulity that we were being charged full price at check out (in fact more than the rate we had been quoted as we had moved at own request to "better rooms" apparently). This policy is obviously the opposite of the Premier Inn "good night guarantee".
Come on, this place is surely a joke run by a reality TV company isn't it?

Room Tip: Rooms not on these premises will be the ones I'd recommend.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank cycletraveller
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here a few times while working in the area
Hotel is tiered and bar prices are rediculous. £6 for a pint of lager
Restraunt menu is limited and also over priced
Book elsewhere if you can as there are better hotels for similar money

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed October 1, 2013

My husband and myself stayed for 2 nights while visiting relatives, and were very disappointed in the general standard of the place. The main part of the hotel is very old, a fact that has been mentioned in other reviews and that can't be helped, however our room was in the more modern building at the back, close to the car park. The first thing I noticed was that the staircase leading up to our room was very dirty, the carpet in need of a good clean and the paintwork also dirty. The room itself was dingy, dusty, and one of the windows didn't close properly (luckily the weather was mild and dry, otherwise this would have been more of a problem.) The bathroom smelled funny and had some standing water in the bath which I had to rinse away.The only good thing was that the room was nice and quiet, being away from the High Street, that is until Sunday morning when the church bells start ringing, on and on and on....they go on non stop for about half an hour!
On to the restaurant and bar, we had a few drinks in the bar, which were VERY expensive! A pint of lager and a small glass of wine was nearly £10!! We also had a meal in the restaurant which was very nice, a bit expensive, but no complaints overall.
One other thing I noticed was their apparent fettish for Pine Disinfectant! Towards the end of our meal in the restaurant we noticed a really strong smell of disinfectant coming from the kitchen, which was really off-putting. The next day we also noticed it in our bathroom after the maid had been in to clean our room in the morning. Nice to know they're doing some cleaning, but surely they could use something with a more attractive smell than this? It was hideous!
We didn't try breakfast after all - at £12 per person per day I thought it was very expensive and we had a very decent breakfast at Wetherspoon's for a fraction of the price.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main 'old' part of the hotel are apparently nicer but noisier - either with noi...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alison F
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Stayed here once before, and returned as I remembered it was a decent location (right on the high street in Tonbridge). I'll start with the bad points though, as these really outweigh the good.

I was able to check in early, which was good (and thankfully, unlike last time, they didn't check me into a room where somebody was already sleeping this time). However, the door was open when I got to the room, and I was told by a maid that it was because the manager had just inspected the room. Well I'm sorry, but either the manager needs to invest in some better spectacles or they need to find a new one, because if I'd been inspecting it I'd have handed the cleaner a P45. There was dust all over the furnishings, massive, long brown hairs on the pillows, inside the bed, inside the desk drawers (how?!) and a dead wasp in the bathroom sink. Most of the electrical outlets were also hanging off the walls (I actually stuck my finger in between the light switch and the wall whilst I was turning the bedside lamp off - good job my hands weren't wet!). Carpets, as with last time, were filthy both inside the room and out - full of bits, hairs, dust etc.

Parking is a nightmare - it's free, but the car park is tiny and if you're driving a Mondeo, as I was - well it's like navigating the Titanic through Camden Market.

Breakfast was only served from 7am - not great when you've got an early start.

The good points: friendly staff, decent free wifi, comfy bed (apart from the hairs).

I spotted a Premier Inn after I left about a mile down the road outside of Tonbridge - I'll be staying there next time - it'll be clean and there will be plenty of parking!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 24, 2013

With only a couple minor exceptions, this is a nice hotel. With a hotel the age of this one, don't expect a level floor, because other than the main floor, there aren't any. The staff was friendly, helpful and polite. Our room was adequate considering they've taken a very old building and retrofitted it to modern standards. The room and bathroom were clean. There is free WiFi that works best in the lobby and plenty of parking in the rear. Finding the parking can be difficult if you don't see the street signs, but it is free. The carpet in the hallway leading up to the rooms could stand to be replaced and there was a rather large gap between the bottom of our room's door and the floor. The gap was cheaply covered with a piece of carpet. The only other complaint relates to the hotel's restaurant. After the waitress informed us of what was on the menu, and we ordered, she came right back from the kitchen to say that three items she had just mentioned were unavailable; two of which were items we had ordered. There should be better communication between the kitchen and wait staff, so the waitress doesn't tell patrons about items that are not available. The included breakfast buffet was great; breads, meats, fruit, yogurt, cereals, cooked English breakfast, etc.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Many of my colleagues have stayed at the R&C but I had always chosen to stay at the Premier Inn in Hildenborough, but as I was only into Tonbridge for one night I thought I would stay there for convenience e.g. walking to the office in less than 4 minutes.
Arrival and checkin was painless, fast and advised I was in room No 1. at the top of the stairs. ....so up I went.

I had read all the trip advisor comments before booking into the R&C and I have to say that if you check into a hotel that is a couple of hundred years old, you have to expect an element of "aging".

In any case, I negotiated the steep stairs and the two doorways to get to the first floor and Room 1. was directly in front of me.  The door frame was squint, the floor was sloping and the the door itself had seen better days, so in I went.
Room was large with 2 windows overlooking the main street and on a gentle slope in keeping with the rest of the hotel.  Ample wardrobe space for a few nights stop over, kettle with coffees and tea selection and a complimentary big bottle of water, plus a couple of packets of biscuits.
TV came with a freeview box therefore you had to navigate across 2 remote controls, and again not a problem once you got the hang of how they work.  But, most modern TVs have freeview built-in.
Large bathroom and large shower with a reasonably powerful shower head and easy to regulate thermostat control.  Bathroom was spotlessly clean.
The bed was huge and extremely comfortable and had bedside cabinets either side of the bed.
A large work desk for my laptop BUT then I had to plug in all my equipment and thats where modern hotels beat the old.  I could only access one spare spare socket unless I unplugged a desk lamp to get my laptop and iPad charged at the same time.

I arrived late into the hotel and after unpacking headed downstairs to eat, as I had a very long day to get to Tonbridge and couldn't be bothered to leave the hotel.  This became a real disappointment as I was told that dinner orders stopped at 8.45 and I was there at 8.50 equals 5 minutes late.  Normally, when the kitchen closes last orders tend to be 15 - 30 minutes before that time, so the last orders for the dining room would be 8.15pm to 8.30pm.  This is really early for a hotel restaurant to close down don't you think?
However eating closeby wasnt a problem as there are some great restaurnats within 20 yards of the hotel e.g. Uksudar, Chilli Hut, Akshan to name but a few
I headed up to Akshan a really great Indian restaurant on the main street and had a good meal.

Breakfast was included in my room price.  Breakfast is served from 0730 - 0930/1000.  The menu stated that a full breaksfast is 12 pounds so decided to tuck-in. I had a semi-full English breakfast which consisted of bacon (cooked crispy and perfect) , sausages, beans, tomato, fried egg and mushrooms.  Toast served to order.  Coffee served to order and arrives in a cafietere.  Lots of cold meat selection and fruits.  Croissants and danish pastries in abundance.  A lovely breakfast meal.

Check out was simple.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tonbridge
Premier Inn Tonbridge Hotel
#2 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells
Smart and Simple Hotel
Smart and Simple Hotel
#11 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells

Been to Best Western Rose and Crown in Tonbridge? Share your experiences!