“Very disappointing”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Tonbridge
Chichester, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

My husband and myself stayed for 2 nights while visiting relatives, and were very disappointed in the general standard of the place. The main part of the hotel is very old, a fact that has been mentioned in other reviews and that can't be helped, however our room was in the more modern building at the back, close to the car park. The first thing I noticed was that the staircase leading up to our room was very dirty, the carpet in need of a good clean and the paintwork also dirty. The room itself was dingy, dusty, and one of the windows didn't close properly (luckily the weather was mild and dry, otherwise this would have been more of a problem.) The bathroom smelled funny and had some standing water in the bath which I had to rinse away.The only good thing was that the room was nice and quiet, being away from the High Street, that is until Sunday morning when the church bells start ringing, on and on and on....they go on non stop for about half an hour!
On to the restaurant and bar, we had a few drinks in the bar, which were VERY expensive! A pint of lager and a small glass of wine was nearly £10!! We also had a meal in the restaurant which was very nice, a bit expensive, but no complaints overall.
One other thing I noticed was their apparent fettish for Pine Disinfectant! Towards the end of our meal in the restaurant we noticed a really strong smell of disinfectant coming from the kitchen, which was really off-putting. The next day we also noticed it in our bathroom after the maid had been in to clean our room in the morning. Nice to know they're doing some cleaning, but surely they could use something with a more attractive smell than this? It was hideous!
We didn't try breakfast after all - at £12 per person per day I thought it was very expensive and we had a very decent breakfast at Wetherspoon's for a fraction of the price.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main 'old' part of the hotel are apparently nicer but noisier - either with noi...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alison F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

Stayed here once before, and returned as I remembered it was a decent location (right on the high street in Tonbridge). I'll start with the bad points though, as these really outweigh the good.

I was able to check in early, which was good (and thankfully, unlike last time, they didn't check me into a room where somebody was already sleeping this time). However, the door was open when I got to the room, and I was told by a maid that it was because the manager had just inspected the room. Well I'm sorry, but either the manager needs to invest in some better spectacles or they need to find a new one, because if I'd been inspecting it I'd have handed the cleaner a P45. There was dust all over the furnishings, massive, long brown hairs on the pillows, inside the bed, inside the desk drawers (how?!) and a dead wasp in the bathroom sink. Most of the electrical outlets were also hanging off the walls (I actually stuck my finger in between the light switch and the wall whilst I was turning the bedside lamp off - good job my hands weren't wet!). Carpets, as with last time, were filthy both inside the room and out - full of bits, hairs, dust etc.

Parking is a nightmare - it's free, but the car park is tiny and if you're driving a Mondeo, as I was - well it's like navigating the Titanic through Camden Market.

Breakfast was only served from 7am - not great when you've got an early start.

The good points: friendly staff, decent free wifi, comfy bed (apart from the hairs).

I spotted a Premier Inn after I left about a mile down the road outside of Tonbridge - I'll be staying there next time - it'll be clean and there will be plenty of parking!

Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

With only a couple minor exceptions, this is a nice hotel. With a hotel the age of this one, don't expect a level floor, because other than the main floor, there aren't any. The staff was friendly, helpful and polite. Our room was adequate considering they've taken a very old building and retrofitted it to modern standards. The room and bathroom were clean. There is free WiFi that works best in the lobby and plenty of parking in the rear. Finding the parking can be difficult if you don't see the street signs, but it is free. The carpet in the hallway leading up to the rooms could stand to be replaced and there was a rather large gap between the bottom of our room's door and the floor. The gap was cheaply covered with a piece of carpet. The only other complaint relates to the hotel's restaurant. After the waitress informed us of what was on the menu, and we ordered, she came right back from the kitchen to say that three items she had just mentioned were unavailable; two of which were items we had ordered. There should be better communication between the kitchen and wait staff, so the waitress doesn't tell patrons about items that are not available. The included breakfast buffet was great; breads, meats, fruit, yogurt, cereals, cooked English breakfast, etc.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

Many of my colleagues have stayed at the R&C but I had always chosen to stay at the Premier Inn in Hildenborough, but as I was only into Tonbridge for one night I thought I would stay there for convenience e.g. walking to the office in less than 4 minutes.
Arrival and checkin was painless, fast and advised I was in room No 1. at the top of the stairs. ....so up I went.

I had read all the trip advisor comments before booking into the R&C and I have to say that if you check into a hotel that is a couple of hundred years old, you have to expect an element of "aging".

In any case, I negotiated the steep stairs and the two doorways to get to the first floor and Room 1. was directly in front of me.  The door frame was squint, the floor was sloping and the the door itself had seen better days, so in I went.
Room was large with 2 windows overlooking the main street and on a gentle slope in keeping with the rest of the hotel.  Ample wardrobe space for a few nights stop over, kettle with coffees and tea selection and a complimentary big bottle of water, plus a couple of packets of biscuits.
TV came with a freeview box therefore you had to navigate across 2 remote controls, and again not a problem once you got the hang of how they work.  But, most modern TVs have freeview built-in.
Large bathroom and large shower with a reasonably powerful shower head and easy to regulate thermostat control.  Bathroom was spotlessly clean.
The bed was huge and extremely comfortable and had bedside cabinets either side of the bed.
A large work desk for my laptop BUT then I had to plug in all my equipment and thats where modern hotels beat the old.  I could only access one spare spare socket unless I unplugged a desk lamp to get my laptop and iPad charged at the same time.

I arrived late into the hotel and after unpacking headed downstairs to eat, as I had a very long day to get to Tonbridge and couldn't be bothered to leave the hotel.  This became a real disappointment as I was told that dinner orders stopped at 8.45 and I was there at 8.50 equals 5 minutes late.  Normally, when the kitchen closes last orders tend to be 15 - 30 minutes before that time, so the last orders for the dining room would be 8.15pm to 8.30pm.  This is really early for a hotel restaurant to close down don't you think?
However eating closeby wasnt a problem as there are some great restaurnats within 20 yards of the hotel e.g. Uksudar, Chilli Hut, Akshan to name but a few
I headed up to Akshan a really great Indian restaurant on the main street and had a good meal.

Breakfast was included in my room price.  Breakfast is served from 0730 - 0930/1000.  The menu stated that a full breaksfast is 12 pounds so decided to tuck-in. I had a semi-full English breakfast which consisted of bacon (cooked crispy and perfect) , sausages, beans, tomato, fried egg and mushrooms.  Toast served to order.  Coffee served to order and arrives in a cafietere.  Lots of cold meat selection and fruits.  Croissants and danish pastries in abundance.  A lovely breakfast meal.

Check out was simple.

Dorchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

we stayed for one night because of a wedding nearby, so cannot complain regarding its location. but really, not worth £85. it is dingy, and the shower is dodgy in our room although our daughters' room shower was OK.the bathroom and sheets etc atre not thoroughly clean either. the staff is fine, and the location for city center is great. we suspect the hotel capitalizes on this, as really, with a little effort, this could be a much nicer hotel! and of course the free carparking offsets the price too.our advice? use this hotel if you need the proximity to the railway station (or in our case a wedding in tunbridge wells), but otherwise don't!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Tonbridge hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

stayed for two nights on two seperate occasions in august & september, food, room and service from staff excellent, great location to wander around the town, hotel comes with carpark, evening meal especially good, also good choice of ales,

Hertford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

1 overnight stay with young children is tolerable, any longer then I would go elsewhere. This hotel is in need of some TLC. It looks presentable downstairs whilst the upstairs is very tired. The room size for a family was okay. My youngest could not sleep in his bed as too uncomfortable so had to move him into my bed. One of the windows did not open so the room became too hot during the night. The children refused to have a bath as they took one look at it and said "too dirty." Bathroom in need of modernisation. The breakfast was good. The drinks in the bar were really expensive which may explain why downstairs was deserted? Good location as centre of town. Barrier to car park was broken. I managed to squeeze my car into a narrow space at the back of the hotel. I would not stay there again.

Room Tip: I was advised by another traveller not to stay on the top floor as the rain was coming into their ro...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tonbridge
Premier Inn Tonbridge North Hotel
Mercure Tunbridge Wells
Hever Hotel
Hever Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hever

Been to BEST WESTERN Rose And Crown In Tonbridge? Share your experiences!