“excellent best western”

Best Western Rose and Crown in Tonbridge
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Tonbridge
Reviewed September 10, 2013

stayed for two nights on two seperate occasions in august & september, food, room and service from staff excellent, great location to wander around the town, hotel comes with carpark, evening meal especially good, also good choice of ales,

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Best Western Rose and Crown in Tonbridge

Reviewed August 25, 2013

1 overnight stay with young children is tolerable, any longer then I would go elsewhere. This hotel is in need of some TLC. It looks presentable downstairs whilst the upstairs is very tired. The room size for a family was okay. My youngest could not sleep in his bed as too uncomfortable so had to move him into my bed. One of the windows did not open so the room became too hot during the night. The children refused to have a bath as they took one look at it and said "too dirty." Bathroom in need of modernisation. The breakfast was good. The drinks in the bar were really expensive which may explain why downstairs was deserted? Good location as centre of town. Barrier to car park was broken. I managed to squeeze my car into a narrow space at the back of the hotel. I would not stay there again.

Room Tip: I was advised by another traveller not to stay on the top floor as the rain was coming into their ro...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 15, 2013

A lovely old building with exposed beams and wooden floors. Friendly staff, nice food and nice beer. Rooms are ok, well appointed but . Only letdown are the showers, which really need renovating. Ok for a short stay but lack of decent showers means glad to go somewhere else. Stayed on my own and probably wouldn't take family.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 27, 2013

An 8 night stay here sure seemed longer. After the transatlantic flight, my boyfriend and I were fighting off jetlag, so did sleep in the first couple of mornings. We missed housekeeping as a result, and had no door sign indicating we needed service. We went to the front desk on the third morning to request the sign (and austensibly service), and were surprised after breakfast (which was a lovely full English fry-up) to find that our room still had not been cleaned, although the sign had been placed on our door. Before heading out to London for the day, we stopped yet again at the front desk to request cleaning and replenishing of supplies. The woman at the desk said that the cleaning staff said the room had been occupied and unavailable to clean. Someone was just plain lying, because we'd been at breakfast the entire time!

When we got back to the hotel that night, we did have a cleaner room and fresh towels and supplies, other than the bar of soap we;d been using at the sink. Back to the front desk again to replace the soap.

On top of all of this, we stayed in the most "modern" portion of the property, furthest away from the front desk, where I imagine the wireless router was located. Never once did we have Wi-Fi in our room. We inquired about this at the front desk the second morning, and were told they were having someone come around to look at the issue. It was never resolved, so we never did have Wi-Fi in our room. This feature was one of the reasons we selected this hotel, so we found that to be extremely disappointing.

On several occasions we had to walk through a group of smokers in order to get into our hotel wing, which, had they been other patrons, would be understandable. In this case, these smokers were the cleaning staff. I found that surprising and a bit offensive.

Yet again, toward the end of our stay, after one of the 3 cleanings our room (for 8 nights, that seemed a poor ratio), supplies were replenished, but the soap had gone missing again. Back to the front desk I went again, in much worse humour. By that time it seemed this was intentional.

Just because I was aware of the "quality" of service we'd already received, I did make mental notes about the cleanliness, particularly the bathroom. Despite 2 cleanings in the bath, hair remained behind each time, and hair was left on the bathroom floor. I honestly don't know what they did do while in our room, aside from make the bed and replenish supplies (aside from soap).

The bathroom itself was disappointing in that the handle on the toilet would come out, the faucet on the sink came loose, and a hook on the bathroom door came completely off during our stay, and was not replaced.

Our recompense for these missteps was free breakfast for the 2 mornings we did eat in house.
That did save us about 60 quid, so was about an 8 or 9 percent discount off of our total lodging bill.

We have family in Tonbridge, so will be back in a few months, but will not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank atysmee
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I remember staying at this hotel many years ago when it was part of the Trust House Forte Group and enjoyed it very much and so I returned with great expectations and high hopes of an enjoyable couple of nights.

The broken barrier to the car park and the tatty entrance complemented the rest of the building where we found peeling wall paper, Heath Robinson repairs and odd furniture. Our room had a dining room table with four chairs and in the middle a huge basket with a kettle and a bottle of water, odd to say the least. Our bed was comfortable, very comfortable in fact but the quilt was too small and so only covered the top when there was nobody in it.

Our room 114, was close to the smoking area and we were awoken each morning by the staff arriving for work and having a good chin wag and a cigarette. Judging by some of their coughs, they may want to reconsider this habit or better still, show consideration to guests by desisting until later in the morning.

Breakfast on the first morning was dire, the second morning much improved but still rated as only average as they used the cheapest ingredients and had no eye for detail.

The best part of the stay was the Harvey’s bitter but that was expensive compared to local pubs. This is not a particularly expensive hotel, but the Travel Inn down the road offers better value and far better facilities.

When we checked out we were not asked if we enjoyed our stay, nor indeed if whether everything had been alright. I suspect the staff know the answers and so save themselves the trouble of asking the question.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nicholas E
Reviewed July 19, 2013

On the face of it, this appears to be a very charming hotel with lots of olde worlde character. Oh but the dream soon ended. It took over 4 hours to get here at 9pm, battling through the M25 to find the last order for food was 8.15pm - so we had to eat out at such a late hour. I had to carry my bags up three small fights of stairs to get to my room, which I have to say was well presented and clean - sheets and towels were spotless. BUT - no air conditioning at all - and apparently none in the newer part of the building at the back. I tried sleeping with open windows but as I was facing the main road I was kept up most of the night with motor bikes, emergency sirens, street cleaners and bin men. Closing the windows meant COOKING ALIVE. The shower had just two settings - artic ice or facial disfigurement. I had a bottle of water in the room - no label to say what it was or how long it had been there - was it just filled from the tap? I wanted toast for breakfast and where I come from that means popping it in a toaster. My colleague wanted poached egg on toast and that was too difficult as well. The toilet facilities in the reception area were not clean I'm afraid, nor was the patio area outside which looked very tired. So not the best western I'm afraid.

Room Tip: Stay in the winter and ask for a room not facing the high street. Make sure you check stair /lift...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Ancient inn extended round the back. Lots of wooden beams and panels and twisty corridors. Stayed on two occasions. Both rooms clean and well equipped, small problem with a lack of soap and a dodgy tap in one room. Eat one dinner and breakfast in the restaurant. Dinner was very good breakfast also fine.

Room Tip: No good for people who need assistance with access.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tonbridge
Mercure Tunbridge Wells
Premier Inn Tonbridge North Hotel
The Spa Hotel
The Spa Hotel
#2 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells

Been to Best Western Rose and Crown in Tonbridge? Share your experiences!