“Great burgers”

Ranked #5 of 103 Restaurants in Tonbridge
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Penshurst Train station directly opposite.
UK
“Great burgers”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

A sensible sized menu with some great dishes all made with fresh ingredients. Fish options are highly recommended but the house burgers are the speciality and are as good as you should get from the house dish. The giant chocolate challenge is exactly that for anyone with a significant appetite after a starter and main course.

• Visited April 2014

• Korean first
London, United Kingdom
“The best lamb shoulder ever!!!”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We were told about the pub while visiting Hever Castle. It took us about 8 min to get there. The first looks was ok, nice, typical as other pubs, with parking around, outside tables, playground etc. As was getting chilly we're staying indoor. Really pleasant, with fireplace, bookcases, pictures around.
But it was food that I would like to say about. My partner had steak burger, cooked medium up to his liking, very tasty; if not too small for his big appetite ;)
I had the best lamb shoulder ever in my entire life!!!. Was absolutely delicate, tender yet with subtle lamb flavor, interesting with mint jelly served aside. Vegetables were quite good, potatoes looked very fat but my fiance helped me with it. Actually portion was really huge so he helped me with all :D
Service was good, but it was 6pm so pub was pretty empty at that time.
We didn't stay long, just to fill up bellies and go back home. But will come back if ever again in around.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Alice11010
Kent
“Mother's Day disappointment”
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

I imagine, I'm not alone being sick of cooking and look forward to a Mother's Day meal being taken care of. I was really looking forward to it, but what a disappointment. I've been once before just before christmas and had a lovely meal so chose to go there again today. I won't be returning again though sadly. We had to pre-order our meals due to them being so busy. I don't like doing this but went with it. First bad sign was lipstick marks on 3 of the 4 wine glasses already placed on the table. We had the first sitting at 12, so had high expectations of freshly cooked food. Ah, the food, the starters arrived pretty quickly for us (and everyone else in the pub), the half slice of toast that came with the (lovely) ham hock terrine starter was burnt to a crisp though and the leaves garnishing the terrine were as limp as a dunked rich tea about to drop. We then had a long wait for our main courses - other tables even onto desserts before our mains had been brought, which made us wonder why my sister's starter was nearly whipped away from her before she'd even finished her mouthful or what was on the plate, we did have to laugh as her hands were even hovering over the plate to load the next mouthful! When the mains did arrive 2 of us were very disappointed with the quality of the roast potatoes, as soon as I saw them and tried to cut into them I knew they were hard, old, reheated and grease filled. My sister said they're worse than what's served up at school. I scraped out what was the inside of the potatoes as I was hungry but couldn't actually cut the outside to eat it. The red cabbage had a strange taste, soya beans were hard. 2 of the party did though say the beef was nice but my pork was not, perhaps a bad choice of mine. Desserts were a let down too, my sister having cappuccino mousse, the mousse aspect being nowhere to be seen and the cappuccino flavour barely there, it was more like double cream with a coffee flavour syrup stirred in. Sticky toffee pud was very strange being a bit tough. My sister did complain though and a certain charge was deducted from the bill, however, we would rather have had a lovely meal. I wish I had stuck with my original plan of wagamama, at least I would have enjoyed it! I would go so far as to say it ruined my expectation of my Mother's Day meal. I will say though they were very accommodating with my requesting a special toddlers meal - not that she even looked at it, but my husband did eat the chicken part as he was still hungry after only getting 3 small spuds ... so every cloud!

Visited March 2014
3 Thank wantlottowin
Kent, United Kingdom
“Still a popular place to go to..... parking can be problematic”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

If you have a small car and there's just the two of you, don't be shy, take the small car; the car park (although large) does not always accommodate, with ease, the vehicles of diners and invariably if you have a small car, you can be creative over parking!

We dined here on Friday evening, lovely to say they serve Anno Gin, a local gin from Marden (look it up and buy on line if you can't find a local supplier), drink gin and support your local businesses! They creatively offer 1/3, 1/3 & 1/3 glass of beer so you can have three different types of beer but still only drink a pint! Brilliant for drivers.

Foodwise we enjoyed the baked camembert, steak and a seafood paella (on the starter menu, but served upon request as a main), so Fabulous! So will return - you can bet on it, perhaps bets are off, cos you will only win if you go and enjoy like we did and I hope you will, but do book if you can to be sure of a table, its that popular!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Anne V
Paddock Wood, United Kingdom
“Slow service!”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Slow service spoilt the evening. We, as well as others we saw, had to wait at least 15 minutes for drinks and food order to be taken, although it did come soon after that. The meal itself and atmosphere were good and decoration very nice.

• Visited March 2014