“Another Whiting & Hammond winner!”
Review of The Chaser Inn

The Chaser Inn
Ranked #8 of 108 Restaurants in Tonbridge
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: There is a bus stop directly opposite the pub as well as main line train stations in Borough Green and Tonbridge which are both approximately 10 mins drive.
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We drove up from Eastbourne to check out The Chaser, as we're fans of Whiting & Hammond's other pubs and their whole ethos really. So we thought we'd see how The Chaser would measure up.

Yet again we were impressed. :)

It was a Sunday, and the place was rammed, so much so that we were worried we wouldn't get a table as, even though we had booked, were slightly late. Not a problem, and apparently they don't reserve all their tables so that you are still able to turn up and have the chance of a seating.

Considering how busy it was(I can't express how busy the Sunday Lunch was - I can't remember seeing a pub this busy, which was nice), the service was spot on and prompt. I think it might have been the Guv that initially greeted us and served our drinks, but even amongst the hecticness of it all, he remained extremely unflustered, calm and friendly. Really nice bloke.

The food was excellent no question. The vast menu has something for everyone on it (which made choosing difficult !), and the dishes were of a generously sized portion, well presented, and we thought, appropriately priced. I chose probably the most unglamorous of dishes from the 'Lite Bites' section lol, but I love Mac Cheese with bacon and it hit the spot. My partner had the Steak & Kidney suet pudding which was huge and full of flavour. The desserts of Banoffee Pie & Baileys Torte were also cracking, and we both noticed were not overly sweet which, again, made a refreshing change.

Considering that I drank almost a bottle of Port, the whole cost of the meal was less than I expected, and there is really nothing that could be criticised at all. They deserve the 5 stars rating that I've given.

Cheers for a lovely afternoon The Chaser, and we'll be back for sure!

3  Thank Peasants_Revolt

Reviewed November 4, 2012

This evening my husband and I went to the Chaser Inn in Tonbridge for Dinner. I had pheasant and my husband had the game casserole. The pheasant was all bone and had virtually no meat on it and was served on a bed of over buttered greens. After spending a good 40 minutes trying to get any meat off the pheasant without success. The retail price was £15.95. The waitress didnot come and ask us, at any point if the meal was alright, which is the Chaser's normal practice. When the waitress came to collect the plates we advised her that there was virtually no meat on the pheasant and the presentation of the dish was poor. She said she had relayed this to the chef who said he was sorry, but no offer was made up front of any discount. We then had to listen to local radio being played either at the kitchen or in the bar and staff discussing their xmas holiday rota. What ever happened to customer service. Just beacuse it is a sunday night is no reason for the customer to have to endure this.
We asked for the bill no discount was on it for the pheasant with no meat, and my husbnd mentioned this to the bar maid who had to go to the cellar and ask the manager whose dulcet tones could be heard shouting up from the cellar "she should not have ate any of it if and should have sent it back straightway". If he could find any meat on that pheasant it would have been a miarcle. The meal went back to the kitchen in a similar style to the way I had received.

We have been regualr customers to the Chaser but this visit was truely awful and the offer of a paultry £5.95 discount under sufferance from the manager for a meal that was probably worth only £6 was not satisfactory.

Why should customers have to put up with service like this, be forced to listen to local radio on a night out and listen to staff moan about their Xmas schedules. Why are the management not making sure that the ususal high standards of this pub are maintained on a sunday night.

The argument that the staff have had a long day is not the fault of the sunday dinner.

1  Thank Sharon K
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I don't live far from the Chaser, and everytime I've been there I think I should go more often. Very good food, always decent service from nice staff, and it is a really nice venue. Nicely furnished. I'd advise booking as it is popular and can get busy, but I think it is a good sign that even when it is busy, the quality doesn't seem to change.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Recommend this establishement. A lovely country gastra pub but not pretenious or outrageously pricey. Definetely worth a drive out to.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

We have visited the chaser many times before at various times of the day over several years so we can safely say we have literally been there for breakfast, lunch & dinner. We visited again tonight with friends and had another lovely evening. Wonderful food (pigeon starter, fishermans pie main, & hazelnut parfait pudding) all of which was delicious, very well cooked & well presented. Staff, as always, were very friendly,helpful & efficient. Very much looking forward to visiting again.

2  Thank P R