“From the Ashes”

Ranked #5 of 43 Restaurants in Tenterden
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Good to know that from the Ashes of Chapel Down winery restaurant, this has managed to maintain the level and quality of food, although rather expensive.

1  Thank HolidayHounds44

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Went last Friday lunchtime 2 nd table in restaurant was put in a dark corner given a paper menu with the days choices on by a very friendly young waiter , having made our choices our waiter returned from the till to inform me that my starter choice was unavailable so decided o n the scallops ,as our starters were cleared our main courses arrived in seconds, we ordered our desserts only for our waiter to return a second time to inform me that their was no apple pie and my wife's pear delice was very bland overall a disappointing lunch ,however I must say the restaurant was being run by a very friendly waiter and young lady who was more interested in standing in the on her phone ,very well done young man some help from management would be good

1  Thank Tomo633
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We arrived late (14.30) at the restaurant but were accepted without any problem (kitchen open till 15.00!!). Fresh, local food and excellent wines from the Chapel Down Winery. Very friendly service. After the meal we visited the winery and vineyard. Highly recommandable wines!

Reviewed March 1, 2013

PB writing this review; Food is my first love so I will start the review with this:

I tried booking the previous day by phone, to be told they were fully booked - I wasn't even offered an earlier slot. 3 minutes later I had booked via their website (using Top Table) - go figure!

First up the charcuterie platter, with some exceedingly tough air-dried ham, good salami, a huge piece of chicken liver terrine (technically charcuterie) and brie. Yes you read me right, the platter was bulked up with cheese. And more terrine than meat. It was nice terrine, but unexpected and felt like cheating.

I ordered the Guinea Fowl. The menu described it as "Guinea fowl stuffed with wild mushrooms, creamed spinach". Instead it was a guinea fowl leg, bonded with smooth terrine (presumed mushroom flavoured, it was impossible to tell) and chunks of guinea fowl formed as a sausage and sliced. I had bone fragments and gristle in mine.

My other half ordered the Monkfish, which was nice. The sides (ordered separately) were generous, my wife needed hers as the monkfish was small while I could have got away with just the red cabbage, as the guinea fowl came with potato (not listed on the menu, thanks for letting me order an unnecessary side)

Desserts were an improvement. My "orange frangipane with sesame ice cream and blood orange curd" was good - the frangipane wasn't great but the sesame ice cream excellent and the 4 dots of blood orange curd on the plate tasty - it just needed more! My wife's treacle tart was nice and sticky.

Moving on from the food… Atmosphere was distinctly lacking at The Swan - the decor is that of any London restaurant - and the staff were very casually dressed, to a level unexpected when going out for a posh (i.e. expensive) meal. Service was both rushed and we felt we were being watched throughout the meal.

Having eaten in restaurants in the New Forest at the same price point, we were expecting (on the last night of our honeymoon) a similar quality of food, service and atmosphere. The Swan left us disappointed.

1  Thank PBJB_13
Reviewed February 28, 2013

After two years in Tenterden, we decided on Chapel Down for a celebration lunch and were hugely impressed. The dining room is immaculate, the service excellent and the food truly delicious. Between us we sampled Rye scallops, wild mushroom omelette, devilled kidneys and two very good desserts. We can highly recommend this restaurant and congratulate Chapel Down on the high standard they have achieved.