“Great value”

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Sittingbourne
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Great value”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Stayed for one night when on business, slightly aloof but fairly pleasant staff member, lovely room with air conditioning. Very comfortable and clean. Set in fantastic well kept grounds. Breakfast very good although served at communal table. Only drawback is you can hear train line nearby.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Smudge1970

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Newport, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I booked in for 9 nights whilst I was on a busisness course. The Owner did put me in one of the bigger room due to the length of my stay. The rooms are clean and tidy however there is no door on the bathroom. I was dissapointed when I returned one evening to find the cleaners had removed all the towels and not replaced them.

My room was left insecure not only was my door unlocked but the door was wide open, luckly nothing was taking, The owner and the new cleaning staff were very apologetic but I feel this let the overall stay down.

The hotel is close to a busy train line however during the evening the trains pass with such speed the noise sounds more like a strong breeze.

Apart from the above items I WOULD stay again.

Room Tip: If staying for more than a few days, ask for either room 3 or 4.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Gareth__8828
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed here for one night as we were down in that part of Kent for a Wedding. Tonge Barn is in an idylic setting and would make a great base to visit the whole of Kent. We stayed in one of the larger barns at the front which had a single bed in a separate area which is great for kids. The room was extremely well presented and comfortable. We had a delicious breakfast in the main part of the building which is stunning and has a really comfy sofa area with log fire which would be lovely in the winter. The owner was very helpful and friendly. We did have to wait on arrival 10 mins as the room wasn't ready for us.. but the gardens are beautiful so we happily sat in the sun.

1 Thank Balders200
Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I was treated to a night at Tonge Barn by my partner yesterday for my birthday and we were absolutely delighted with it. The accomodation is beautifully finished and the garden space is so tranquil with a fantastic seating area next to the river. Two of our friends joined us as a further surprise and they were also thrilled with their stay.
Our accomodation was luxurious and fantastic to have a little fridge in the room. The owner was charming and our breakfast was fresh and delicious. It is a little awkward at times not having a door of some sort for the ensuite, although the toilet cannot be viewed from the room itself, the thread curtain gives no real privacy! This certainly did not detract from having an amazing stay though.
All in all a really fabulous place to stay with lovely walks around a local fishing lake and a truly beautiful setting. It is clear the owners take great pride in the presentation of the property and grounds. We will definitely be returning at a later date and recommending to many. It was a wonderful birthday treat.

Room Tip: We saw three of the rooms whilst staying and all were beautiful! Some have doors for the ensuite, s...
1 Thank Skypod
Kent
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We stayed at Tonge barn last night as we were going to a wedding in the area. Overall we were really pleased with this B&B. It has a lot of character. We were in one of the 'chalets' at the back and the room was lovely. A little strange that the bathroom/toilet has a hanging screen rather than a door - I was glad I was with my other half and not a friend or relative!
We arrived with little time to spare and the owner was really accomodating getting me into our room asap so I could get ready. Rooms have a fridge, tv, air con and wifi. Beds were really comfy. The gardens and whole setting are delightful,
This is a B&B and so I would imagine the owners try to maintain some semblence of a life during the day - the sign says to ring their phone on arrival as it's a fairly big site and they obviously have quite a lot to do. This would be my choice again for a stop over or longer stay - but it is not the facilities of a hotel so those who require that should choose a different venue.

2 Thank soosfish
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Enjoyed a super weekend at the Tonge Barn, fabulous location and beautiful setting with great individual rooms. The owners were super friendly and were always very helpful. With excellent local knowledge they can offer advise on days out and restaurants etc.

The breakfast is just amazing. Will stay again for certain.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Ian D
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Whilst planning my stay , the owner neglected to mention that kitchen and living area is not for use , and become very aggressive towards me and my wife and tried to change price of room , then made up some excuse you could not have adults in single beds , there are so much nicer b&bs and hotels in the area who are a lot more friendlier than here do not believe the excellent reviews .

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank Firecell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sittingbourne
Hempstead House Hotel and Spa
Judd's Folly Hotel
Judd's Folly Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ospringe
Premier Inn Sittingbourne Kent Hotel

Been to Tonge Barn? Share your experiences!