“Returned after a couple of years”

Maharani Indian Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 105 Restaurants in Sittingbourne
Cuisines: Indian, Bangladeshi
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Went to the Maharani, on 28th August. I have been visiting this restaurant for over 30 years, and have known the owner/ manager, Shabul for the last 29 years.

Four of us arrived arrived at 7pm without a booking. The party included myself, wife, sister and brother in law.

The restaurant was very busy and Shabul joked that he had no spare tables. However he found us a table.

Without going into detail we had an excellent meal, poppadums and pickles, four main courses and a special vegetable dish concocted by Shabul. Couldn't fault the service.

All at a respectable £66.00, including service and four large bottles of Cobra lager.

Complimentary digestifs.

The best Indian restaurant in town.

2  Thank Burt_Thatcherher

Reviewed July 30, 2013

A lovely welcome, followed by a very nice meal.

Service was very warm and friendly. Menu was very flexible as the manager was very keen to please.

Very good value, just £90 pounds for 5 people.

Will be going back soon.

2  Thank Paul J
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Tried a takeaway last night for the first time and it was absolutely awful. we have been eating Indian cuisine for 30 odd years now and that must have been one of the worst I have eaten. I had a dhansak, nothing unusual, it was like eating thick chicken stock cube with chicken in, I think they forgot to put anything else in It, ie its proper spices etc. no way was that a dhansak, chef!!! My son had a madras and that was the same not even spicy hot as a madras should be. Love my onion bhaji normally but they were dry and hard obviously old!!!! Very disappointed after reading so many good reviews, won't be going back I can assure you of that

2  Thank HoneyBabe1
Reviewed June 21, 2013

if you love perfect Indian food and being waited on by the best attentive waiters then this is the place. i am a true curry fan and i have eaten in loads of supposedly great Indian restaurants and no one comes close to the Maharani except maybe the Empress of India.the Maharani know there customers tastes and they always consult with you to make the perfect dish, for me its a Vindaloo hot chicken tikka korai dahnsak with garlic. I highly recommend this place. they are so great with our kids here too, our girls are 10 and 12 and just love it.

3  Thank CliveBr
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Vile food which came with a free pubic hair! Phoned Manager but he refused to refund stating I should go to police blah blah! Obvious language and cultural misunderstandings. Very rude. Toilets in a vile unhygenic shed at the back of restaurant. AVOID!

2  Thank spudley121