“A Pleasant Stay”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Sittingbourne
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“A Pleasant Stay”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

A nice & modern hotel. Rooms well appointed with a large comfortable bed.
Breakfast is buffet style and is adequate. Machine for toast just about provides warm bread & has a sign "don't put bread in twice as it can set off fire alarm". I feel this arrangement needs improvement.
However, overall a nice place to stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Mohammed A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sittingbourne, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
Dear Guest

Your constructive comments regarding the breakfast have been taken on board and will help us further improve our product and service.

I am glad that over all you enjoyed your stay and the team and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Coniston in the very near future
Mohammed Azam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Polish first
Kent
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

Let me start by saying that I haven't been here for about 14 years and didn't realise that it was now a Best Western chain. On first impressions the hotel is modern, clean and could be any of the chains as they are all similar in design/layout.

We decided to try the Sunday carvery today. I feel that it is good value at £6.95 a head for one course, £9.95 for two courses and £11.50 for three courses. When we booked we were told that kids were half price, however when we came to pay they said my daughter (6) was free and that my son (11) was full price. This didn't bother me as this works out the same as half price for them anyway but this needs to be cleared up!

The food is what you would expect in a carvery and we had a choice of chicken, pork or beef. Well, I say we had a choice, you can actually have all three! There is plenty of vegetables, sides and gravy etc so no grumbles here. However, I couldn't believe that they had run out of Apple Sauce!? I'm sorry but running a carvery in a restaurant if this size, how can you run out of apple sauce???? After finishing the main course we were then told we could eat as much as we like and were welcome to go up again but we were all rather full so refused and decided to have a dessert.

However, this is where they let themselves down. I went for the sticky toffee pudding which when they brought it out I assumed they had brought me a sample to try to see if I like it!! It was tiny and if not for my table manners could have easily eaten it in one mouthful I kid you not! How they can feel this is a justified portion is beyond me. They seem happy to let you eat as much of the carvery as you feel you can but then give you the smallest afters you can imagine. I had to complain and they agreed to give me another portion which was slightly larger free of charge. This was very tasty but why they don't give bigger portions is beyond me. Everyone who ordered this also had the same look of disappointment as it arrived in front if them.

The drinks are also pricy although I appreciate that this is the same anywhere you go but when they charge £6.95 for a large Rose (same price as the one course meal) I can't help but think we could have bought two bottles for that! No wonder pubs and social drinking is dying out!!

If it weren't for them running out of apple sauce and giving a fair size afters I would have happily rated this as 5 and highly recommended it. The saving grace today for us was the friendly and professional Manager named Kit who ensured that we were happy and sorted out my afters for me. He kept the review rating as a 4 as if not for him I feel I would have had to drop to 3!! Thanks Kit.

Overall, I would recommend and I'm sure if enough people complain then they'll start giving fairer portions for desserts. Other than that, skip breakfast and dinner and give it a go! Good food at a fair price in good clean surroundings with friendly staff.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Didsfam
Mohammed A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sittingbourne, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for choosing the Coniston hotel to try our Sunday Carvery and taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor.

The very constructive feedback has been particularly helpful, as we have only recently launched the Sunday Carvery, in ensuring that we continue to improve our product and service.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused due to the confusion in pricing, kitchen running out of Apple sauce and the small portion of dessert. I can assure you that all of your points have been discussed by the team with a view to avoid similar issues in the future

I was glad to read and share with the team the positive aspects of your experience, especially Kit’s attention to service.

I sincerely trust that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Coniston in the near future and that you will notice the difference

Braintree, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2014

came home today from the most relaxing two night break we have ever had.
Room was fantastic,very comfy bed with everything you need,Amazing food and hospitality from the staff who really make you feel at home.
would recomend the coniston as first choice to anyone.
checked reviews before we went and there was no negative comments,and we could see why,you will too.
would definately go back,
Definately have the breakfast,it`s superb.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for choosing to stay @ The Coniston and taking the time to give your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at The Coniston.

The whole team and I were really pleased and encouraged to read the positive comments regarding food, service and attitude of the staff as they work hard to ensure all our guests leave happy

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Coniston in the very near future
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2014

A relaively new hotel. Good comfortable rooms. Service is excellent and food is to a high standard. Slightly let down by poor parking area, quite dodgy turning into fom the main A2 if you do not know where the entrance is, needs additional signing. Prices reasonable.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Mohammed A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sittingbourne, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
Dear Guest

I am sorry for any inconvenience caused due to the signage. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. You will be glad to know that this is being addressed and trust that you will find a difference when you visit us next.

Chelmsford
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Roomy, comfortable bedroom, modern bathroom. Good selection of dishes on set menu, 3 courses for £20. Quiet atmosphere in dining room so easy to talk with friends. Wide range of food available for breakfast, including porridge freshly made. Staff friendly and welcoming. Great location for Birdwatching in the area.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Gravesend, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

Stayed the night here on New Year's Eve and attended the gala dinner. What a brilliant night. Started off well with a very quick check in. The receptionist handed us a card which had been hand written by the manager wishing us a happy new year. Nice touch. Even nicer was when room service knocked on our door at 6pm offering us a complimentary shot of Baileys or whiskey. Yes, please!

The gala dinner was great. It started with a canapé reception followed by a five course sit down meal in the banqueting room which had been beautifully dressed. The service of the food was very efficient. Whoever was in charge really knew what they were doing. The atmosphere was fantastic and everyone we met was lovely including the staff.

The rooms were way better than we expected. Very, very clean and big comfy beds with pristine white sheets. Great to fall into after far too many drinks and several hours of dancing. We only stayed one night so the size of the room was perfectly adequate. Four of us had a drink in there before dinner and there was more than enough room.

Breakfast was fine. It was a help-yourself buffet. Plenty of choice even for veggies - hash brown, tomatoes, beans, mushrooms toast, bacon, sausages, cereals, pastries etc.

We would definitely stay at the Coniston again. It's a great hotel and I really hope the do well.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Clare C
Mohammed A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sittingbourne, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing the Coniston Hotel to bring in the New Year and taking the time to give your feedback. I am glad that you and your Party enjoyed the stay and the gala evening.

The whole team and I were really pleased and encouraged to read the positive comments regarding food, service and entertainment as we always strive to ensure all our guests get the best experience whatever the occasion

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Saw in 2014 at the gala dinner here and thought it was excellent. The table was attractive and well laid out. The food was well presented and the menu was very good too. Despite there being so many people our food was served up hot. The staff were attentive and cheerful. We danced until they threw us all out to our beds. The people there were a mixture of ages but predominantly older people which suited us? We come from central London and stayed over and had a very good room. We would definitely return and are think of going back for another event there during the year.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Susan_edwards2
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing the Coniston Hotel to bring in the New Year and taking the time to give your feedback. I am glad that you and your party enjoyed all aspects of your the gala evening.

It is really encouraging for the whole team when we get such kind and positive comments as we always strive to ensure all our guests get the best experience whatever the occasion

Mohammed Azam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sittingbourne
Hempstead House Hotel and Spa
Travelodge Medway M2
Travelodge Medway M2
#2 of 2 in Rainham
Tudor Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Been to Holiday Inn Sittingbourne? Share your experiences!