“Long on funky style, short on substance”

Holiday Inn Sittingbourne
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Sittingbourne
London, United Kingdom
“Long on funky style, short on substance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

Arrived 10pm Friday evening. Super welcome from professional and helpful member of staff who confirmed that room service was available, full menu til 10:30, and asked if I d like a paper in the morning (to which I answered in the affirmative).
Funky styling/decor, comfortable bed, nicely appointed bathroom.
Sadly, no guide to services, operating systems etc restaurant/breakfast times in the room. The was TV functional, no Sky or even Freeview/iplayer/on demand services (though when was turned on it did s
Display some info about services and systems it wasn't interactive so one had to watch the entire, slow, brief, and try to catch the info one required).
I called Room Service, for over two minutes, no response, so I called Reception to place a meal order. Once again a very warm service, she happily to my order..but then called me back, room service full menu finishes at 10. So I ordered a sandwich, which was delivered promptly.
Saturday morning, no paper delivery, despite not leaving my room til 10 (the paper was in Recpetion, no one had had time to deliver it to my room). Shame, as I'd be looking forward to a cup of tea and reading the paper in bed. I skipped breakfast.
Saturday evening, I called Room Service, no response, despite holding on to the ringing line for over 3 minutes. Once again I called Reception to place my meal order...which was swiftly and professionally delivered.
Oh, the menu for Room Service meals is in the room, but printed in a sheet of paper, not laminated, not presented nicely at all...just a sheet of paper, which included no suggestions as to times food was available (except that certain foods options were available 24hours a day).
Sunday morning, no paper delivery,'and them the wrong one waiting for me at reception.
Breakfast, had to wait two minutes before anyone noticed I was waiting to be seated. Very warm service again, all the staff really do make up for the shirt comings with their warmth. Breakfast options Ok, truly just OK. Limited prepared fruit available, just a bowl of whole fruits would have been appreciated , even if just apples and pears (this hotel is in Kent, in the garden of England, and fresh, local fruit is undoubtedly available), and the vienoisery (sp) was very sparse, no croissants in evidence, and some half hearted rolls, really not up to scratch.

I don't want to be overly critical, because the staff and environ' really we're exactly what I needed...but the lack of attention to the details really let this hotel down. Which is a shame.

• Stayed November 2013
Mohammed A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sittingbourne, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay @ The Coniston and taking the time to post your experience on trip advisor.

Whilst I am glad that you liked the modern and contemporary style of the Coniston and have given us full marks for staff attitude, product, room and cleanliness, I am really sorry that you felt let down by some aspects of our service.

I have discussed all of your comments with the team with a view to improve our attentiveness to service as you have pointed out in your very constructive feedback.

Please accept my sincere apologies for not exceeding your expectations on this occasion and I trust that on your next visit you will note the difference.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Coniston in the very near future.

Mohammed Azam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Polish first
Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

Booked on line with negotiated good rate for four of us with 2 rooms. Beautiful clean hotel since restoration and new owner as I remember it in the past. Staff friendly and helpful. Restaurant first class at affordable prices. Breakfast Bar incredibly good, one of the best experienced. Only minor complaint lack of shelves in bathroom makes it a little awkward when in shower. Otherwise highly recommend and the best in Sittingbourne Town Area. Sits nicely on the A2, perfect location. Thanks for your Hospitality.

• Stayed October 2013
Mohammed A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sittingbourne, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay @ The Coniston and taking the time to give your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at The Coniston.

I have passed on your kind comments and positive feedback to the whole team at the hotel, who work hard to ensure that all our guest leave happy

I have taken on board your very valid point regarding shelves in the bathroom and will most certainly look into making an improvement

It is very encouraging and helpful to receive comments such as these as we are the newest hotel in the area and only, just, a year old.

Worthing, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

We visited this hotel for a weekend break, and we were not disappointed.
Reception staff were helpful and welcoming and we were very happy with our bedroom which was spacious with a very comfortable bed.
We ate in the restaurant on Friday evening and enjoyed a three course meal which included wine for a reasonable price of £39. for the two of us. The food was delicious and we were very impressed with the presentation.
All in all a lovely stay and worth a visit!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Mohammed A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sittingbourne, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Dear Guest

It is very encouraging and helpful to receive comments, such as these, as we are the newest hotel in the area and only, just, a year old.

Bolton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

The Coniston is a modern and unusual hotel. The entrance is by a paved area which leads up to a full height glassed window reception. On an evening they have a projector which beams light around the reception area. You are greeted warmly and friendly by the reception staff who are only too happy to help. They make you feel relaxed straight away and explain the details of your booking, where your room is and what the guidelines are for breakfast etc. You make your way up in a lift and to a corridor which almost seems like an old corridor with new decor. It's almost like a building that was old but has been converted into a modern shell throughout. The rooms are spacious for the price. We had booked two standards of room. The Superior standard which had loads of space and modern furnishings and modern bathroom. Then a more standard room that wasn't quite as spacious in the bathroom or bedroom. However the decor was still nice and bedding was nice too. Breakfast was average really, the service wasn't the best because there was a coach party in who took up most of the dining room.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your constructive feedback regarding breakfast. I am sorry that your experience at Breakfast was not as good as the rest of your stay. I have discussed this with the team with a view to improve this aspect, regardless of how busy we are.

uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

My first contact was with Sam, reservations, couldn't do enough to help, friendly and polite. On arrival, karrina was extremely welcoming and attentive with recommendations of the area, which proved to be accurate, Rochester was a fab town full of interest, as was Canterbury, two great cities to visit. In the restaurant we was looked after by Kit, a very professional young waiter, polite, and friendly, as was all the staff we encountered. Thanks to you all for a lovely stay in your very modern and stunning room.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Mohammed A, Manager at Holiday Inn Sittingbourne, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Guest

I have passed on your kind comments and positive feedback to the whole team at the hotel, especially the ones mentioned by name, who work hard to ensure that all our guest leave happy

Look forward to welcoming you back to The Coniston in the near future

Millbrook, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

Arrived and very welcoming reception. Hotel is very different, eco friendly and very modern. Lots of free parking.
Room was very large but no daylight, although it did not feel like it. Very small window that open onto an indoor area.
Very clean and beds was extremely comfortable. (Very large)
Ate in the restaurant on the first night, was disappointed that only the pork belly was hot, my veg was only just warm also the mashed. Plates cold. Starter of seafood was excellent.
Fresh fruit platter was very good.
staff were very apologetic re the main meal, every body else food was good.
2nd night we ate in the bar area and the food was excellent, and very reasonably priced.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Mohammed A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sittingbourne, responded to this review, October 22, 2013

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

would recommend without a doubt. Hotel is very modern - nice spec. Staff are really friendly and welcoming.
convenient location only 10-15 mins walk to the train station and main shopping area
Ideal for business travellers as hotel offers free wifi.
Breakfast was great too with cooked breakfast made to order

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Mohammed A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sittingbourne, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback. The team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay. I will pass on your kind comments to the team as they work hard to ensure the comfort of all our guests.

Thank you for choosing The Coniston Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in the area.

GM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sittingbourne
Premier Inn Sittingbourne Kent Hotel
#6 of 6 in Sittingbourne
The Shurland Hotel
The Shurland Hotel
#1 of 1 in Eastchurch

Been to Holiday Inn Sittingbourne? Share your experiences!