“Unexpectedly good business stopover”

Holiday Inn Sittingbourne
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Sittingbourne
Hampshire, United Kingdom
“Unexpectedly good business stopover”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

This hotel had few reviews but seemed a better bet than the Premier Inn alternative which had good reviews but was in a potentially noisy location close to railway line and motorway. The Coniston's receptionist said it had only opened in September 2012, which accounts for the high standards of décor and avant garde furnishings. Arriving late at 10.45pm our reception was efficient, staff throughout were attentive and the breakfast was good. Can't comment on the restaurant but my colleague and I both agreed it was good value for money and a useful base for business in north Kent or en route to channel ports/the tunnel. There was nothing worth criticising and I will undoubtedly use this hotel at some time in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Paul N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sittingbourne, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Reviewer,
I am delighted that you found the hotel to be of such a high standard and even more pleased to learn that you intend to stay with us again in the future, there is no better compliment than this. We all look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Kent.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on 1 June 2013 - well I say we stayed, but we didn't actually end up staying as I ended up in Casualty and decided to go home instead. We checked into this hotel under a very good deal, afternoon tea, three course meal and breakfast next morning. It was for my mother-in-law's 70th birthday. We checked in, had our afternoon tea and were getting ready for dinner later in the evening when I popped out of the room to get something from my car. When I returned to the room my mum was standing in the corridor holding the door open, when I asked here what she was doing she said that the electric had all gone off in the room and it was in darkness. I took the key card out of the slot and put my key card in thinking that it may turn the electrics back on but nothing happened. As I took my key card out of slot my hand brushed against (but did not touch) the light dimmer switch next to it and I got an almight shock from it which made me scream out in pain making my mum scream as well. Straight away I got a tingling sensation in my fingers. I called reception and told them that we didn't have any electric and that I had just got an electric shock from the switch so they sent up a security card. He tried putting the key card back in the slot but nothing happened and he had to go downstairs as the electric had tripped out. He came back up and I said I am not touching the switch to turn the light on as my hand was killing me. I told him that we had a dinner reservation and he told us to go down to dinner and he would get someone from maintenance to look at it whilst we were in having our dinner.

We went down to the restaurant and as we passed reception I asked the Duty Manager Tracey if she could look up what I could take for a electric shock as my hand was hurting and I couldn't get any internet on my phone. She told me I couldn't take anything but the pain would go. We proceeded into the restaurant and ordered our dinner. All the time my hand was tingling but wasn't that painful but as time went by the tingling started to travel up my arm and had reached my shoulder. I called my husband who is a first aider and he told me that I needed to get it checked out at casualty as it could be dangerous.

I told Tracey the manager what my husband had said and asked what the nearest hospital was because we wasn't familiar with the area. She told me I could go to casualty if I wanted but I would have a long wait as it was Saturday night and we would also need change for the parking! didn't offer any though. I went back upstairs to get my jacket and whilst I was upstairs Tracey said to my mum "the pain can't be that bad she managed to eat her dinner"!! We went to casualty and spent a few hours being assessed having an ECG amongst other things. I was eventually discharged 1.00 am. My daughter had decided that since our evening had been ruined she didn't want to stay at the hotel so went back to claim a refund and pack up our things. When she got back to the hotel at 11.45 pm she told Tracey that we wouldn't be staying as our time had been ruined and asked if maintenance had checked the room out by which she was told "no" so even though I got the electric shock at 7.20 pm and it was by now 11.45 pm no-one had bothered to check out the room. She told us that she would move us to another room but my daughter said this was appaulling and asked for a refund as we wouldn't be staying there and was told that we couldn't have a refund as she needed to investigate it.

I telephoned the hotel the next day and spoke to Tracey who asked how my arm was and when I told her it was hurting me and felt like a dead arm she again told me that the pain would go.

It took just under 2 weeks to get a refund and this was after so many emails to reception, head office and to the Hotel Manager who was so slow in coming back with replies and when I eventualy got a refund it was from someone who had been on holiday for two weeks who read my email from the day after it happened and issued a refund straight away. I haven't once been given an apology let alone anything else. I have been back to my doctor about 4 times as I have terrible pains in my arm and have been told that I have nerve damage all up my arm. I have an appointment at end of August with a Neurologist.

All I will say is that I am sueing the hotel for their negligence.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Zolawat123
Paul N, Manager at Holiday Inn Sittingbourne, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts on this website, as your intentions read that you wish to discuss your alleged experience with third parties I am sure readers will understand I am unable to respond to your comments
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2013

After booking our stay here on a great promotional rate including dinner and breakfast, my expectations were set accordingly. I was expecting an adequate hotel. However, I was delighted to find we appear to have found something of a hidden gem. The layout and location are quite quirky, being close to a busy main road, yet with the main reception at the back of the hotel providing a quiet verandah on which you can enjoy a peaceful summer evening drink. The rooms are quite modern in design and finshed to a very high standard, the only real gripe I have about the stay was the over-fussy lighting system and the frosted glass bathroom walls, which may be a problem for some.
The food in the restaurant was of a very high standard and again surprised me greatly given that this was included in our room rate. The restaurant seemed a little under used during our stay, which was a shame. I think other guests missed out here as I don't think the restaurant appeared overpriced.
Staff are all young, but were really efficient, helpful and friendly. I've stayed in some very good hotels in my time for business and pleasure, but I have to say for value for money for the quality The Coniston offers, it is right up there. Well done!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
It was so nice to read that we exceeded your expectations during your recent stay with us. We are constantly changing our promotional offers and I always recommend to our guests, to book direct with the hotel, on the website or on the phone, to take advantage of our best available rates. I have shared to review with the entire team at the hotel as I know it will mean so much to them. Hope to see you soon at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Coniston Hotel.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

very pleasant new hotel, everywhere spotless and could not fault the staff, ( all seemed to be local if you know where i,m coming from) food good and rooms large, modern and confortable, only annoying feature is the minute windows, approw 2ftx3ft, you can open them approx 2 inches, mine was locked so reception staff had to come up and unlock, if you press the button in they have to come up again, also a quite complicated control panel for all the different lighting systems in the room, no instructions and basically i just couldn,t be bothered after an 11 hour day, dim, bright, on, off thats all you need for gods sake, also the "electric window blind" kept trying to close while messing with this control panel but with having the window open the 2 inch max it just got jammed, so all in all i,d stay here again, call the Consiton a futuristic Premier Lodge or Prison due to the small windows, but very pleasant, whoever was responsible for the gadgets and windows needs shooting,

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for recent feedback and comments surrounding the product and services at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Coniston hotel, I understand your frustrations surrounding the children’s safety locks for the windows which can be released upon request. We have lots of different room types and window sizes and I would be pleased to show you around on your next visit. I also take your point on the mood lighting and have recently introduced a simple user guide which I think will alleviate any future problems and again I would be happy to demonstrate the controls for you. Once again thank you for your comments which I have shared with the team.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is modern, clean and the rooms large, comfortable and modern.
Free WiFi always helps and the restaurant is excellent.
The only thing missing was a gym, but I would definitely stay here again.
Highly recommended...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Many thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts I am glad you enjoyed the hotel so much. Thank you also for you recommendation Next time you stay, book direct with the hotel, on the website or on the phone, for our best available rates.
Preston, lancs
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Stopped here in march to attend a wedding and reception in the hotel. Ate in the restaurant the night before the wedding and was surprised by the quality of the food - was really good.
Hotel handled the wedding reception superbly again I was impressed.

Rooms modern and clean.

Only complaint I had was that I was unable to open the window. Reception sent room service to open with a key, i shut the window accidentally and it locked again I couldn't be bothered to ask again. The staff are very good though.

Happy to return to stop at the hotel - however spending any time in Sittingbourne would be hard to justify......

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Paul N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sittingbourne, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Dave,
I was pleased to read your comments which I have shared with the team. I am so glad you enjoyed the food and service and that the wedding reception was such a success. Thank you for your feedback as it means so much to the staff at the hotel.
Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed here for the weekend with my wife a daughter, found the hotel to be outstanding in every way. from rooms to the staff politness nothing was to much for them to do. Our room was very modern looking and a good size. The bed was the best thing I have slept in in years, also like their eco friendliness. We had bed,breakfast & evening meal basis and the evening meals were top draw looked nice and fresh and warm. I was supprised by the competative price of the drinks in the bar ( a pint of Stella £3.80. I paid £4.70 in a well known hotel near Gatewick airport just over a month ago). To sum it up if you want to go away anywhere in Kent and you want a lovely clean, fresh, friendly hotel thats good value for money then this hotel is the place to go.
Hope to go back next month for the weekend and explore more of Kent.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Paul N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sittingbourne, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Mr Thorpe,

I am delighted to say the least that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. I have shared your feedback with the team today as it is so encouraging for them to receive such positive feedback, knowing their efforts are being appreciated. I note you are thinking of coming back next month, just for your reference the annual oyster Fayre in Whitstable starts on the 27th July and runs until the 02nd August. Maybe a nice day out for you and your family. Hope to see you soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sittingbourne
Hempstead House Hotel and Spa
#2 of 6 in Sittingbourne
Judd's Folly Hotel
Judd's Folly Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ospringe

Been to Holiday Inn Sittingbourne? Share your experiences!