“Lovely stay”

Holiday Inn Sittingbourne
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Sittingbourne
Reviewed February 2, 2013

My partner and I enjoyed an overnight stay at the hotel and had a lovely time.
We were greeted with a smile & cheerie 'hello' by the receptionist then checked in quickly & with ease.
As we had eaten out before arriving at the hotel, we did not have dinner there - but having previously eaten at the hotel, I can recommend both the restaurant and bar food. We did however have a few drinks in the bar - again the staff were polite, chatty & attentive.

Our room (on the first floor) was spacious, clean & very comfortable - what more could you want.
With regards to comments I have read here about the 'complicated lighting', we had no such issue as the panel just has four buttons (on, off, up & down) - not really rocket science!
Anyway, we had a lovely nights sleep - the beds are massive! :)

In the morning, we did not make it downstairs for breakfast, instead enjoying a long (well deserved) lie in - check out isnt until noon which is great as most other hotels we'd stayed in previously was between 10am & 11am.

When we left we again received a welcome greeting from the receptionist and after a little chat was checked out even quicker than when we'd checked in (without feeling rushed at all).

We had a lovely stay and would stay again & again given the chance - we hope to be back soon.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Paul N, Manager at Holiday Inn Sittingbourne, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts. I am always grateful to guests who share their experiences with us. I will certainly share your feedback with departments and people concerned. I hope to see you back at the Coniston Hotel again soon.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Sittingbourne

Reviewed February 1, 2013

I stayed at The Coniston Hotel for a total of 8 nights over the last 2 weeks in 2 different rooms. There is large car park available although signage could be improved to allow you to see it better from the road as the entrance is not in front of the hotel but 100yds further. All members of staff were very friendly and always seemed willing to help. The rooms are very clean, beds are large and very comfortable. Mood lighting in the rooms allows a red / green / blue back light is a nice touch, however there are no instructions on how to use it and seems like its not working as well as it could. Bathrooms are clean and spacious, with bath / shower combination. However one MAJOR issue in the rooms is there is no socket to plug your mobile into next to the bed but on the other side of the room so using it whilst charging is impossible, especially if you use it as an alarm for the morning.
The food in the restuarant is to a very high standard, although not consistant. Spending 2 weeks there i received the same dish, to different standards on different nights, so i do question weather the chefs all work from the same page?
Only real disapointment came when the fire alarm went off at 1.15am and we had to evacuate the building, due to, as reception told me the next day, a night worker burning food in the microwave. Received a sorry note under the door and that was it? Is this good enough.... i don't believe so.
Overall.... once they sort out the teething problems this could be an excellent hotel, but its the little things that matter.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Paul N, Manager at Holiday Inn Sittingbourne, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Good Morning

Thank you for your feedback raised above. I was pleased to read that the staff met with your expectations and came across in such a friendly manner. I was also glad to learn that you found the rooms to be spacious and comfortable during your stay. Following your feedback we have added some instructions to assist with the mood lighting in the bedroom and I would also like to inform all guests that there is an alarm facility available to programme via the remote control for the television.
As on the night in question, I must apologise for the fire alarm activation which I know must have caused you frustration, although I sure you understand from a health and safety point of view absolutely essential, and I am only to sorry to learn that despite an apology on the night before returning to your bedroom and a written letter, personally signed by myself that you found this not good enough. In this instance I would welcome any suggestions you may have for any further situations that may arise surrounding the fire alarm activation and how best the team and I apologise to the guests in house.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

This hotel is pleasing to the eye, it is modern and the rooms are comfortable and clean, but it obviously has teething problems, which become annoying , we were there for a 2 day stay. The rooms are opened on a card system, this card also operates the lift, only it failed to open the lift door continuously, meaning a constant visit to reception to get the card charged. The safe in our room malfunctioned and no one had the codes to get it open the first night we were there. The bar staff (not all) seemed almost irritated if you asked for a drink, and when my partner jovially said "cheer up" was told you wouldn't feel like smiling after a 5 hr shift! The young blond woman on reception, was pleasant and courteous and very professional. The fire alarm went off and we were all told by a tannoy system to vacate the the hotel, someone in the kitchen had burnt toast! Our stay was over the Christmas period, so maybe the hotel was understaffed, but it was lacking and had we not got a good deal by searching online, I would have felt cheated. I feel more staff training is needed and more attention to detail. We didn't eat here, so i have no idea on the quality of the menu, though the dining area looked beautiful.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ally1964cat
Paul N, Manager at Holiday Inn Sittingbourne, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear Ally,
Thank you for your review following your visit in December. I am so sorry, that so soon after our opening, for any teething problems you encountered. I am pleased to say that the unforeseen problem with the lift key has been rectified as has the safe.
You have raised some very interesting points in relation to service –These comments have all been reviewed with the department involved and will be addressed through re-training & on-going communication across all teams within the hotel.
Once again thank you for bringing these areas of concern to our attention as it is only when we receive comments such as yours we are able to maintain and improve the levels of customer satisfaction that our guests have come to expect from us.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

New hotel trying hard to be boutique. Great beds but the room includes the worlds hardest to figure ambient light switch, after turning all lights off some remain on.....there is a fancy silver panel with a blue display near the door that 'controls' these and finally allows you to turn all your lights off. Good en suite but no shower gel or shampoo, so soap sufficed. Breakfast okay but staff seemed trained at looking busy rather than assisting. If service improves then this will be a great place, 2 bars big rooms with good beds and good on site parking. I didn't eat there so cannot comment on the food. I will stay again and not stress about the lights next visit..

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank manpossessed

Thanks for your on line review and the positive feedback surrounding the comfort of the beds and the facilities. Following your review we have added some additional literature to assist with the bedroom mood lighting. Please accept my apologies as clearly our housekeeper had overlooked replenishing your toiletries, whilst I understand you should not have to ask, we would of only been too happy to have brought some to your room had we have been given the opportunity to do so. We hope to see you soon back at the Coniston.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel with my husband. We enjoyed an evening meal, room for the night and breakfast. The hotel is trendy and modern. The one thing that would make this hotel perfect would be a gym/pool/health spa facility. The service we received was excellent; there was a slight problem with our room but the receptionist "Dani" dealt with the matter quickly and was very courteous and professional at her job. Thank you for your service and also the restaurant staff could not do enough "Jayne" even remembered my first name from the previous evening's dinner and gave brilliant service as well as her colleague Annie. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Natalie K
Paul N, Manager at Holiday Inn Sittingbourne, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time give us your thoughts!

I have passed your comments to Dani and Jayne and thanked them personally. Thank you for recommending our hotel; it was a pleasure to read your review.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Stayed a couple of nights on a B&B basis. Open only a couple of months and could do with some better signs in the corridors, and clearer signs on some of the switches in the bedrooms - apparently they have some sticky signs to make the markings clearer - we had struggled to work out how sink plugs, blinds and main lights worked. Once we'd worked out these little glitches all was fine; bedrooms well equipped, clean and very quiet, decent TVs, comfortable beds (thought double bed was two singles joined together) and nice bathrooms. Staff were friendly and readily available. Breakfast was pretty standard continental or cooked, but plenty to set you up for the day, the dining room was clean, fresh and airy even on a gloomy January morning. We'd stay here again - but shop round for the best rates.

Room Tip: Shop round for the best rates. Main car park is directly off London Road.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear Reviewer,
Thanks for taking the time to post your comments, It was great to read your comments about the bedroom standards and I do take you point on providing some form of instructions for the workings of the sophisticated mood lighting, which we are currently working on. Pleased to read such positivity around our breakfast offering. In terms of best rates please view our website for the best prices and updated packages for 2013.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

This hotel had only been open a few weeks. Other new hotels that we have visited all seemed to have teething problems but this one didn't. The room was spacious and well appointed. Free broadband as expected. The electric blind was a first for us! The air conditioning worked (both hot and cold) which is not always the case. Finally (and in my mind, the most important) the staff were helpful and ready to please. The lady on reception when we first arrived was very welcoming. We decided to eat at the hotel and the meal was excellent (again not always the case). We used this hotel as a base to visit Canterbury (20 minutes by car). We will use this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Happy New Year!

Glad you enjoyed your stay with us and the food was to your liking. I look forward to seeing you on your next visit with us

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sittingbourne
Hempstead House Hotel and Spa
#2 of 2 in Rainham
Holiday Inn Southend
Holiday Inn Southend
#6 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea

Been to Holiday Inn Sittingbourne? Share your experiences!