“Christmas Party”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Sittingbourne
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Christmas Party”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Attended this hotel for firms annual christmas party, service was good as was the food for the evening function. Bar prices expensive. Reception and rooms clean and modern, staff friendly and attentive. The only downside was the lack of choice at breakfast especially the hot food! we attended at least half an hour before breakfast finished and there was little choice and no replenishment of hot food. The orange juice had run out and milk jug empty. The latter was indeed filled upon request but the overall impression was one of lack of attention which, when we had such a positive approach and good service the previous evening, was disappointing. As an overall experience it was value for money but with a small amount of effort the breakfast could be improved.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Paul N, Manager at Holiday Inn Sittingbourne, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Reviewer, I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed your Christmas Party with us, catering for over 2,000 people over the festive period and trying to keep everyone happy during our first year was no easy task, so it is very rewarding for the staff after all their efforts to read such compliments. With regards to the bar prices we regularly check our prices with our competition and remain in line with local pricing. However, for future reference we do offer discounts when pre-ordering drinks in advance of your party night. In light of your comments we have also undergone a review of the breakfast offering with the increased volumes of business during the festive season in mind please accept my apologies for the shortfall in this area during your recent stay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Polish first
England
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the last 2 weeks. The hotel is modern and clean. Reception staff are friendly. The rooms are extremely good, modern and well equipped this is the best part of this hotel.
Price reasonable. The hotel is listed as 4 star, I would for the rooms and reception areas certainly say that this is correct.

Now for the problems. Food quality is poor, breakfast was nothing more than 2 star, both occasions food was cold, no eggs on one visit. On both occasions the hotel wasn't even busy.

Bar prices expensive, staff I would categorise as Useless, Unfriendly, Rude and not really Bothered.

Never been to a hotel before were they bring the starter and the main course at the same time and then say that we did not ask for the starter to come first, Yes they said that this week.

Its a real shame because this hotel could be brilliant, but the food and some of the staff let it down. Come on guys change the menu and the chef, train the bar staff on customer care and you will have a winner. Stay as it is and it will be empty and returning guests will go somewhere else.

Room Tip: all rooms are good
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Many thanks for taking the time to write your review complementing our product and reception team, although I was very disappointed to read that we had not met with your expectations for food and restaurant service and would welcome the opportunity to discuss the feedback with you personally to understand your comments fully. I do hope you will return soon and please ask for me at reception I would be only be too pleased for 5 minutes of your time.
kent
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I didn't stay at this hotel but had dinner here. Very modern hotel but seems it is still new to a lot of staff. Dani on reception couldn't do enough for us doing beyond the call of duty in helping us. She is a real asset to this hotel, she will go far :)

• Stayed December 2012
Thanks for your feedback, you have made Dani’s day, it’s so nice when our guests take the time to acknowledge one of our team members who go the extra mile, hope you can make a visit back to us soon!
vienna
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I'd rather give it 3,5 points instead of 3 - but there is no such choice, unfortunately. The hotel is new and clean. Rooms are of good size, bathroom is fine too. WiFi is free of charge with a password, but they have some troubles, because it keeps running out after an hour or so (instead of being valid f 24 hours), that's a bit annoying - but I got a new password by phone, so no big deal. Breakfast was a bit of a fuss, since I haven't had it included in my reservation, but I wanted to have one - which caused some problems first, but at the end it was solved too. Everything seems to be a bit vague, so I guess they opened this hotel just recently - I hope it's going to change after the initiation time...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to write. I glad you found the rooms to be so spacious I am sure you realised that all our double rooms come with a King Size bed as standard. Further to your review I have investigated the issue with the vouchers not allowing access to the Wi –Fi for the entire stay and have had this problem rectified, please accept my apologies as I can understand your frustrations at having to keep contacting reception.
essex, uk
Reviewed December 17, 2012

My friend and I booked the inclusive deal of hot chocolate and mince pies, 3 course evening meal and full English breakfast. First off, we asked for the hot chocolate and mince pies to be delivered to our room, it arrived as tea and mince pies but that was fine. The evening meal was very nicely cooked, particularly as they were catering for lots of Christmas parties that night so quite an achievement. The English breakfast had sat there for a while even though breakfast was served up until 10am and we were down for breakfast at before 9am. Edicble and plenty of it however.
The unfortunate thing during our stay was someone pranked the fire alarm, waking us in a frightening manner at 7am. We rushed down to the foyer to find we were the only room they hadnt got round to advising it was a hoax call. To their credit, they did knock the bottle of wine we'd enjoyed the night before off our bill when we came to check out.
We wouldnt stay there again, only because we thought this was closer to Bluewater, and there would be no other reason for us going to Sittingbourne. The hotel itself was nice, room was good, clean and comfortable and staff were friendly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Paul N, Manager at Holiday Inn Sittingbourne, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Many Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts and apologies that the fire alarm had been activated, I do hope it did not spoil your stay too much! I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your evening meal and I hope you will find an excuse to come back to Sittingbourne soon.
Royal Wootton Bassett, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 14, 2012

It is very rate I give a bad review, but this hotel promised so much and delivered so little. There were a few glimmers of hope which is why it got 2/5 and not 1/5

The hotel is new, has a fantastic car park and seems to contrast modern with comfort.

The car park is on a turning 100 yards from the hotel, which I missed (although there is adequate signage, I just missed it). There is a tiny car park at the front of the hotel and from there it is not obvious where the reception was. If you find the main car park its easy.

Check in was fine and easy. At this stage I was on 5/5 for the hotel. Wireless is free which is what I look for in a hotel but this is where the first irritation happened. Wireless is in the form of vouchers each of which last 24 hours. There was a system error meaning they only lasted 75 minutes. There was no mention of how the system worked anywhere. I had to call down to reception to find out how I use the wireless and was told i would have to come downstairs to get a voucher. Came down and there was none available so back upstairs and waited for one to be brought up. This only lasted for 75 minutes so back down to reception to get another which lasted 75 minutes. At this point I gave up and used 3g on my Ipad. The other annoying thing is that it is only for one device. I have a laptop and Ipad and do not think it is unreasonable to use both.

Ordered room service. Burger and hand cut chips. I would have to say this was very good. They obviously use high quality ingredients. The burgers where real meat and not the bulked out types you find in most hotels. Also had sticky toffee pudding. Which was OK but £6.50. I thought this was an outrage. This was worth £3.50 at the most. It was a very small portion and gone in a few mouthfuls. This is where the lack of training and severe lack of attention to detail started to show its face.

When ordering the room service I was not asked if I wanted a drink. I didn't want one but I should have been asked. There was also no salt, pepper, sauces etc on the tray. This again shows total lack of attention to detail.

At this stage we are down to 3/5.

And then the music started. Thursday night (13th Dec) loud music started booming through the hotel. I was on the second floor and found it quite loud. It went on well past midnight. This is totally unacceptable.

The room itself is very well equipped but please can we just have a normal light switch that go on an off. Not some fancy control panel which automatically dims the lights and closes the blind. I walked into the room after breakfast and attempted to turn the lights on, all I did was keep them off and close the blind so was left in darkness.

The bathroom was not very good if you wanted some privacy. There is no lock on the door and there is a gap around the door. This allows you to see in which is not good at all. The bathroom walls are also made of glass and there is a very sharp corner which you could easily stub your toe on resulting in a lot of pain. The room is quite small and I found it unnerving walking around without shoes. Being glass there is no bathroom light switch by the bathroom door, instead it is round the corner by the main door. If you need to get up in the middle of the night you need to walk to the main door, turn on the bathroom light, walk to the bathroom, walk back to turn off the light and then back to bed. This must have been designed for looks rather than practicality.

There was also a random armchair in the room which was due to the size of the room did not have a proper place.

Breakfast time. This was a gold plated joke.

Arrived at the restaurant and had no idea whether I walk in and help myself or wait for someone to take my room number etc. Had to hunt down coffee.

What was on offer was simply a joke. It was not late, it was well before 9 so no where near the end of breakfast service, so no excuse to what I experienced.

Orange juice ran out. I got the last glass. It was never refilled and after I checked out and walked past the restaurant nearly an hour later it was still empty.

Limited fresh fruit, but where was the yoghurt? None available.

The bacon and sausage was of a high quality so again they appear to use high quality ingredients. No bread, and when this was asked for ..... "Sorry we have run out of bread". Seriously they had ran out of bread. This is where training comes into play. What they should have done was said "I am sorry we have no bread but someone has gone to get some" Send a member of staff to the local shop to get some. It really is not that hard.

They then ran out of bacon.......

Back up to the room and there was an overpowering smell of air freshener. It was masking what appeared to be the result of a serious curry the night before, but it filled the whole floor.

Back to the room as quickly as possible and get out of the hotel as quickly as possible. Was not asked how the stay was and could not be bothered to bring it up. Hopefully if the management read this, procedures will be put in place to improve the hotel.

It has so much potential, the staff are polite but there is a total lack of training, procedure and attention to detail.

I work as a consultant and my job is to look for areas that need improving and suggest ways to do this, so may be I am more critical than others but I would suggest having documented procedures in place, and if they are in place make sure they are followed and if they are in place and followed then rewrite them. Its not hard for a member of staff to see what needs replenishing at breakfast and take appropriate action. It really is very easy. May I suggest taking your staff to the Hilton in Maidstone and see what a difference training and attention to detail brings you.

It is potentially a fantastic hotel and an asset to the local area. Please improve as you potentially have a good thing going but not yet.

Room Tip: Find a room in another hotel.
2 Thank Matt J
Thank you for your detailed review.
I can see reading this that you genuinely would like to see our business succeed and I note by your own admission that you can be highly critical. However, It is only when I receive such feedback I can improve the product and standards accordingly. We do, as your comments suggest use quality ingredients wherever possible and we do genuinely have adequate supplies of all food items at all times. Following your review I have traced back deliveries and consumption of the basic food commodities outlined in your comments as "run out" and reading my daily management logs this does not agree with your feedback. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further and would be most grateful if you would contact me at the hotel to discuss your review so I can understand what went wrong. In the meantime thank you again for taking the time to write.
Manchester
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I booked this hotel via my company travel website, didn't expect much, but was really and pleasanlty surprised. Its very modern, lots of parking spaces.

The staff were very friendly and helpful......the rooms were state of the art, with mood lights, wall mounted LED TVs, ultra modern design.

I had room service and it was lovely.

Would recommend for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Only stayed once and my room 228 was great.
1 Thank khalidm777
Thank you for your comments!

I will share your feedback with the team and we hope to see you in Sittingbourne soon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sittingbourne
Hempstead House Hotel and Spa
#2 of 6 in Sittingbourne
Judd's Folly Hotel
Judd's Folly Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ospringe

Been to Holiday Inn Sittingbourne? Share your experiences!