“Great fish and chips with some outdoor seating”

Papas Fish and Chips
Ranked #5 of 52 Restaurants in Sandwich
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Next to the main car park by the river and in a small building with a few tables and chairs outside.
Has an upstairs eat-in area but we did not use this.
We arrived at a very manic time with a lot of people waiting for the freshly cooked food. Despite this, the service was efficient and prompt and the fish and chips were delicious! Portions of chips were good and the haddock was large and very tasty.
If you want traditional fish and chips then you'll really enjoy Papas.

2  Thank Neal S
There are newer reviews for Papas Fish and Chips

Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Chips pale, quite tasty. Cod nicely battered but not overly flavourful. Staff efficient and helpful, location great for al fresco eating.

1  Thank raquelc
Reviewed July 2, 2013

When I first reviewed just over a month ago, I was pleasantly surprised to receive an answer to my query of why were the chips so pale and untasty. It was explained that the oil that was used contributed to that and the fact that it was changed frequently. As I was happy with the fish I went back......twice.......both times were great, the chips were a lot better and I'm wondering, on the first visit there was a man cooking who was not there on my other visits and maybe he was being trained? Which would also explain the lack of tastiness? Either way, I am very happy to recommend Papas fish and chips in Sandwich. I really enjoyed the customer service aspect as well. Second visit they were not as busy so both people behind the counter took the time to chat, 3rd visit they were SO busy...no chat but pleasant still.

1  Thank TWS42
Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

Great location but very disappointing food and service. The chips and fish were soggy and the young lad behind the counter was disinterested and rude to both myself and others. Totally unnecessary behaviour - avoid!

2  Thank SBAD1
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Been in UK for 5 days and have been craving fish and chips! Checked the reviews on tripadvisor and was drooling about getting my rock and chips from Papas. Fish was good, chips were SO disappointing. Cooked but not browned at all, am wondering if the oil was not hot enough?
Don't need to go back, a shame as it's only a few minutes walk from where I'm staying.

2  Thank TWS42
KIgnatiou, Manager at Papas Fish and Chips, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Thank You Very much for your Review.

I'm glad you enjoyed your fish and in regards to the chips, making them brown is not a simple case of cooking them at a high temperature. There are a number of factors that affect the colour of the chips. For example any imperfections in the oil ie. batter bits will make the chips dark. We filter the oil of the pans in use twice a day and this removes any imperfections.

We also cook in Groundnut Oil. This is a clear light couloured oil which does not fry a dark colour and enables us to cook at high temperatures without the oil becoming damaged as easily as normal Vegetable Oil.

Another major factor in the colour is the potatoes. Dark potatoes indicate that they have been affected by a colder temperature than they should be ie. frost.

I hope this clears up any misunderstandings.

Many Thanks